sm banner.jpg
SM whitewood.jpg
sm2r.jpg
FB_IMG_1434483026964.jpg
sm-ve-playfield.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
spidey.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

There really isn't anything very movie specific on the playfield. The 2 Spider-Man pics down by the flippers and that's about it. The plastics, cabinet art and translite are a different story.
oop...I almost missed the Power Ranger Green Goblin on the playfield....that's defiantly the biggest offender on the playfield.

Everything on that playfield is from the movie marketting assets...the logos, the characters. The modes are all based on events in the movies.

This rumor is very interesting - on one hand a comic-based Spidey could be really, really cool! On the other hand - SM as it stands has a very engrossing sound package due to Willem Dafoe & Alfred Molina's clips and J.K. Simmons custom voices. I suppose they could keep the music, as it was all original anyway. If the voices were all new - we risk it sounding like X-Men. It would be very hard to go to a "Shittybeast" sound package on Spidey.

Anyway - this is an interesting rumor...let's see what happens. I could see myself re-buying Spidey if they knock it out of the park.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's not baffling, it has been a consistent excuse from Gary Stern for not doing additional runs of several titles. Obviously deals can eventually be made (see IMVE).

IM is still relevant to the licensor as RDJ continues to portray the character in IM and Avengers movies. Tobey Spidey is ancient history from a licensing standpoint...hell, now Amazing Spider-Man is irrelevant due to to the series being shelved & a new Spidey being cast for the Marvel Universe. Comic Spidey makes sense because it's relevant AND Stern doesn't have to deal with Sony - they can deal with the Disney/Marvel people they've done lots of business with.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

IM VE is I suppose being rebuild because they still had many IM specific parts on their shelves.

Wrong. IMve was newly made parts....new style cabinet...new decals. They even had to mold the figurines themselves, as they could not get more from Hasbro.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Ok, point taken but still plenty of ''old'' parts left to build. IM was still an ''actual'' theme where lotr,tron and sm are old and forgotten by the public. In case Stern decides to re-issue a Lotr, tron or SM it would be a tribute to the Pinsiders, a charity.

Those are not forgotten themes. They are evergreen. Everyone on the planet knows what Spider-Man and LOTR are....and fans of the franchises are in the millions. Tron's a bit more niche...but it's Disney & has a strong cult following.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Avatar was a weird flash in the pan. Not actually sure why it was such a big deal, I guess it was the 3D novelty? I don't know that anyone really cares about the franchise in any passionate way, at least compared to the other things we're discussing.

Cuz it was a big huge 3D sci-fi action alien romance movie from the guy who made Titanic, Aliens, and Terminator 1/2.

James Cameron gets butts in seats.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Still doesn't change the fact that it was a live action Ferngully. I think it blew up, because it was a story that translates easily across all cultures along with the 3D coming along at the right time with the promise of a new film going experience. The fact that it was the first feature film in over a decade from the guy who made Titanic was icing on the cake.

The movie just hits every possible demographic.

-Has action for the dudes
-Romance for the ladies
-Mix of sci-fi, fantasy, politics and mysticism
-Not too dark/gory for the kids
-A story people (all over the globe) connect with (empathy & cultural understanding, standing up to "bullies" to protect friends/family)

As for the "Fern Gully" comments...it's cliche to trot it out at this point, as audiences clearly didn't care. You can look at almost any movie/story and say "Hey, that's pretty much like some other thing."

There are those who are very vocally negative about it - expected when something is popular....if the sequels do just as well, can we just accept that people really like Avatar?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lots-of-spidermans-for-salerecently?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.