sm banner.jpg
SM whitewood.jpg
sm2r.jpg
FB_IMG_1434483026964.jpg
sm-ve-playfield.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
spidey.jpg

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Why would they make a VE of something they presumably don't have the license for while telling us no Metallica premiums?

My guess is that they feel that VE's would also sell very well and they will do both?

#202 8 years ago

Why would they deal with new art, new animations, new sounds when they could put out Tron as-is without having to do all that...or LOTR for that matter.? No way SM is a VE. It doesn't make business sense. Plus, they're $4500-$5000 for a nice one now. Not seeing the insane demand and low supply to justify it.

It's a nice thought and one I might re-buy if made, but it's just a fantasy.

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

VE's will be used for production efficiency. With a larger plant, you cannot have the line down. There is no set date for any releases, just know they are being vetted out so that if they need to get one going, they will. What would be a reason for Stern to run a production on a VE.......poor demand for a game, delays with the development of a current game, release date of a license is pushed out.......or a combination of all. The larger you get the more you have to protect your overhead. Think of the VE's and manufacturing games for PPS as an ace in their pocket to keep their business running smoothly. Stern did the rerun of IM to test the waters for future plans.........It was a huge success. We are going to have a very exciting foreseeable future in pinball!!

I'm gonna need a bigger house.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Why would they deal with new art, new animations, new sounds when they could put out Tron as-is without having to do all that...or LOTR for that matter.? No way SM is a VE. It doesn't make business sense. Plus, they're $4500-$5000 for a nice one now. Not seeing the insane demand and low supply to justify it.

Because they are aware of how loved SM is. A re-worked SM VE would sell like hot cakes IMO. Seems like they couldn't get the license to do the original so they used some creativity got a different license via marvel to do comic style art, dots, & sound. It's exciting that Stern is doing this type of thing to re-release one of their most loved pins. I think it is a real possibility if not a probability that Stern releases a SM VE.

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Because they are aware of how loved SM is. A re-worked SM VE would sell like hot cakes IMO. Seems like they couldn't get the license to do the original so they used some creativity got a different license via marvel to do comic style art, dots, & sound. It's exciting that Stern is doing this type of thing to re-release one of their most loved pins. I think it is a real possibility if not a probability that Stern releases a SM VE.

I wonder if we'll see improvements like color changers in the web arrow inserts to make the game more current?

#206 8 years ago

I think an updated comic-based SMVE will outsell the IMVE (if they choose to build more, anyway).

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I wonder if we'll see improvements like color changers in the web arrow inserts to make the game more current?

I doubt it, I would assume the code would say the same, just new assets for art/dots/sound. Would be rad if they went that far, just can't imagine they would.

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Don't forget . Third flipper ( IM ) , metal apron , real lockdown , work rails not pegs, screened art , and board set just to name a few other things

They aren't going to be doing screened art anymore so a vault would have decals. There really isn't that much more on SM then a game like Metallica pro, Kiss pro or ST Pro.

It would probably come with the pegs and new lock bar just as the IM vaults did. 1st run IM had regular lock bar too. SM is a great game but not really loaded with expensive items like Met Premium or ACDC premium.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I doubt it, I would assume the code would say the same, just new assets for art/dots/sound. Would be rad if they went that far, just can't imagine they would.

It's too bad if they don't because the 6 white arrows would be perfect for them! They already have code in those inserts to change the intensity which is difficult to see with leds. If these were color changers it would be much easier to see when you have a 2x multiplier lit. They could also correspond by color to the mode lights like they do in Star Trek.

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's too bad if they don't because the 6 white arrows would be perfect for them! They already have code in those inserts to change the intensity which is difficult to see with leds. If these were color changers it would be much easier to see when you have a 2x multiplier lit. They could also correspond by color to the mode lights like they do in Star Trek.

Sold! Maybe someone can make a mod to add RGB lights that change color depending on the intensity sent to the insert?

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Why would they make a VE of something they presumably don't have the license for while telling us no Metallica premiums? A game they do have the license for...It doesn't seem like they have problems filling the assembly line, since Jared said they are busy for the rest of the year.

Premiums do seem to be under-produced. Sometimes on purpose (to let LEs sell out), other times it's a mystery. I'm guessing the next VE is 2016 based on having 4 releases this year, and Richie won't be putting anything out in 2016.

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It would be interesting if they did LOTR VE the same year as JJP's The Hobbit - very interesting.

If we're playing the speculation game, then lets assume that Ritchie's pin in Fall 2015 turns out to be Game of Thrones. GOT will be on the market at the same time The Hobbit is getting into production. You think Stern is also going to introduce a LOTR VE into the market at the same time as these pins? Three fantasy themed pins on the market at the same time, all competing for the same dollars? If GOT is true, then there's little chance for a LOTR VE in 2015. Maybe next year. That's how I see it at least.

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That would be awesome!

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Premiums do seem to be under-produced. Sometimes on purpose (to let LEs sell out), other times it's a mystery. I'm guessing the next VE is 2016 based on having 4 releases this year, and Richie won't be putting anything out in 2016.

They sold a bunch of ACDC premiums. It's only when they stopped making them did people start wishing they had bought one. I'm guessing the LE/premium run on ACDC outsold the pro version by a big margin.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Wow, a jarjar and a nimble pin sighting in the same thread. Is it 2011?

Ah, the good old days. When Pinside was an innocent little corner of the Internet pinball community. Little did it know what the future had in store for it.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Watch it, you're about to be wrong.

Followed by LOTR and Avatar.

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Watch it, you're about to be wrong.
Followed by LOTR and Avatar.

Id be happy to be wrong...you had me going until you said Avatar.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

If we're playing the speculation game, then lets assume that Ritchie's pin in Fall 2015 turns out to be Game of Thrones. GOT will be on the market at the same time The Hobbit is getting into production. You think Stern is also going to introduce a LOTR VE into the market at the same time as these pins? Three fantasy themed pins on the market at the same time, all competing for the same dollars? If GOT is true, then there's little chance for a LOTR VE in 2015. Maybe next year. That's how I see it at least.

Jack better hope your right.

If Stern cranks out an amazing GoT pin AND a LOTRVE while hundreds of prepayers are still dancing the the "JJp 2-step" on production schedules, I can see the list of defections go through the roof....

#219 8 years ago

Gotta remember Stern has a HUGE new facility to justify. Gotta build something with that space.

I've heard Jurassic World and Thrones. If that's true, Thrones would make more sense in the spring, while Jurassic is an atomic-hot movie this year (gotta laugh at the "Stern should do Terminator Genysis" thread)

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Gotta remember Stern has a HUGE new facility to justify. Gotta build something with that space.
I've heard Jurassic World and Thrones. If that's true, Thrones would make more sense in the spring, while Jurassic is an atomic-hot movie this year (gotta laugh at the "Stern should do Terminator Genysis" thread)

Why? Jim Cameron likes the movie. Ritchie likes the Terminator movies. He may want to make a trilogy of pins around it.

Never know.....

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

They sold a bunch if ACDC premiums. It's only when they stopped making them did people start wishing they had bought one. I'm guessing the LE/premium run on ACDC outsold the pro version by a big margin.

But lets also consider it's not just premium vs pro... it's game A vs game B. In the case of AC/DC... the premium level was SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded over the Pro. Less so in other titles.. so it's really a combination of the price tier and the game quality and differentiation.

ST Premium is great... but a Pro is pretty damn solid on its own.. so less pressure to upgrade.

#222 8 years ago

To each their own.........I personally would never own a pro of any machine. [It just feels lesser know what I mean] Unless of course it was meant for location use. Home collections deserve the machine the designers meant to put out. It was better when the game was the game.

That whole 'PRO' thing just sucks. There should be a regular machine and an LE with a real BG, limited production, better speakers, full armor, signed w/certificate, custom colors, factory shaker, topper, etc etc
But the main point is neither game plays different than the other. One is just the regular game and the other is a collectors item with all the bells and extra whistles.

#223 8 years ago

Another one for sale on Mr. Pinball today....

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Another one for sale on Mr. Pinball today....

Mine went on yesterday and I didn't know about this when I submitted it.

#225 8 years ago

Just the number up for sale alone is telling. This is very similar to what happened with IM. Remember how ever distributors (cointaker) were magically selling just before the VE announcement.

Pinball world is too small and things get around quickly behind the scenes.

(I am not saying anyone here is in the know and trying to dump before VE, but that is what happened in hindsight on IMVE)

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#226 8 years ago

The rumour is self perpetuating. SM owner hears rumour of SMVE and decides to sell his SM for fear of it losing value, which in turn fuels the rumour tha there must be an SMVE imminent, and so on.

Be funny when Stern announces MonopolyVE instead and everyone is madly looking to buy back SM's again.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just the number up for sale alone is telling. This is very similar to what happened with IM. Remember how ever distributors (cointaker) were magically selling just before the VE announcement.
Pinball world is too small and things get around quickly behind the scenes.
(I am not saying anyone here is in the know and trying to dump before VE, but that is what happened in hindsight on IMVE)

That bodes well for people like me wanting to trade for a SM. Going to play the waiting game.

#228 8 years ago

Regarding dumping before VE, where does it end? Do I dump my LOTR anticipating a VE? Or my TSPP?

My SM will probably play the same pre and post SMVE release.

I didn't dump my MM with remake release, nor my ACDCPremium with Luci release. Just not letting go of my SMred nor LOTR nor anything else in anticipation of VEs. Nor my Tron... if I could ever find one at a decent price!

For that matter, probably wouldn't GET a TronVE (unless it added significantly to the original) in the first place: there are too many new games coming, like TH, TBL, Lawlor's Original, GoT, Pinball Circus, for me to want to get a retread, even with upgraded electronics. Still same game.

Just my 2 cents.

I do agree with the idea that Stern will have an awful lot of pressure to keep the lines running at that brand new facility. But I think that means we'll see a glut of middle of the road pins with old mechanics but new electronics. Not sure if that will be enough to expand the market to new pin collectors or not. And I think the Predator/JPOP debacles have caused the regular hobbyists to be less apt to purchase ANYTHING for the foreseeable future.

Stern taking chances here. But Gary has gotten them through some tough times: he's a smart guy.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The rumour is self perpetuating. SM owner hears rumour of SMVE and decides to sell his SM for fear of it losing value, which in turn fuels the rumour tha there must be an SMVE imminent, and so on.
Be funny when Stern announces MonopolyVE instead and everyone is madly looking to buy back SM's again.

even if that is the case, the $ amount is not as much as it was with IM.

Would suck to be so consumed by fear of a game losing money that you sell a favorite and then the ve ends up not happening...

#230 8 years ago

Keeping my Spider-Man, but I bought it new, and modded it out. No need to sell on speculation just to get the new one. I hope they do release it, great game I am sure many will want

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

even if that is the case, the $ amount is not as much as it was with IM.
Would suck to be so consumed by fear of a game losing money that you sell a favorite and then the ve ends up not happening...

Exactly, agreed.

#232 8 years ago

I only purchased my mint fresh HUO SM a month ago and am loving it. Got no desire to sell/upgrade if an SMVE comes out. It's going to be at least $2k dearer here in Oz than I paid for mine.

On the other hand, if a title I haven't had is VE'd I would definitely consider one over a used one.

SM is such a great game. Loving it.

#233 8 years ago

I wouldn't mind trading for a SM in the chicago area, so if you're game lmk. I think i would prefer a pre VE edition due to my distaste for the smd LEDs.

-c

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

I wouldn't mind trading for a SM in the chicago area, so if you're game lmk. I think i would prefer a pre VE edition due to my distaste for the smd LEDs.
-c

I would trade and meet you half way. What do you have?

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

-c

Pinsider Methos has a SM and was looking to trade for a tron pro I think?

In case that interests you. His is SUPER nice condition and he is a great guy.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

To make matters worse, perspective buyers wait to see if the rumored VE is announced before buying, in case there are enhancements or to see what the NIB price will be.

#237 8 years ago

Hey I'm in luck! My Mrpinball ad just got this response.

Hello Seller,

I want to buy this item,and need to know how much are you asking for it? and please i can only pay using paypal,and after payments has been made i will arrange for pick up of the item.You can also sent more pic to my email

#238 8 years ago

If it's happening in this thread, I'll add. .

My MET LED Pro is up for trade for a SM, willing to meet someone near Indy. Love the game, but SM is one I really wanted before I bought MET.

#239 8 years ago

Broke right now after buying KISS but I would love to buy someone's Spider-Man man now as the prices are amazing across the country. Too bad I'm broke.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Hey I'm in luck! My Mrpinball ad just got this response.
Hello Seller,
I want to buy this item,and need to know how much are you asking for it? and please i can only pay using paypal,and after payments has been made i will arrange for pick up of the item.You can also sent more pic to my email

Scam for sure

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Scam for sure

Uh, yeah.

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

If it's happening in this thread, I'll add. .
My MET LED Pro is up for trade for a SM, willing to meet someone near Indy. Love the game, but SM is one I really wanted before I bought MET.

Looking for local trade only then?

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Looking for local trade only then?

Not necessarily. I'd be willing to meet halfway.

#244 8 years ago

I been looking to buy a Mint spidey for a while now... I am
Buying one for sure

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Not necessarily. I'd be willing to meet halfway.

Looks like Pinballlife is half way.

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

They sold a bunch of ACDC premiums. It's only when they stopped making them did people start wishing they had bought one. I'm guessing the LE/premium run on ACDC outsold the pro version by a big margin.

Every model of every game encounters the same complaint once production stops. ACDC was the first and best effort Stern has made to date for the Premiums, both making it a substantial upgrade at a reasonable price, plus actually having them available for purchase for a reasonable timeframe.

#247 8 years ago

sonofabitch.

I JUST came back from a work trip. The restaurant next door to my hotel had ONE working pin, a SM. I'd never really put a ton of plays on it before- I wasn't a big fan of the movie to be honest.

Well, I played it about 50 times over 2-3 days and now I'm hooked. I came on here to start researching a purchase and now see all THIS.

Arg....

Now im in a holding pattern.

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

sonofabitch.
I JUST came back from a work trip. The restaurant next door to my hotel had ONE working pin, a SM. I'd never really put a ton of plays on it before- I wasn't a big fan of the movie to be honest.
Well, I played it about 50 times over 2-3 days and now I'm hooked. I came on here to start researching a purchase and now see all THIS.
Arg....
Now im in a holding pattern.

If you like it , buy it. It's top 3 all time for me. Dont wait for a vaporpin. Its not coming.

#249 8 years ago

Can a few people chime in that absolutely love the Spider-Man pin with what they like most about it? Spider-Man has always been one of my favorite themes, ever since I was a little kid. Playing the game I found I just kept grinding out Sandman and Doc Ock all the time. I read through the indepth guide on pinballnews about the rules and shots, but find when I play, I still get sucked into those two other modes. Even little things would be cool to hear, like how often do you try to make the shot underneath the upper right flipper (like the away team shot in ST)? Besides, with all the bitching on pinside lately, I'd like to read some more things on what people LIKE about pinball.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Can a few people chime in that absolutely love the Spider-Man pin with what they like most about it? Spider-Man has always been one of my favorite themes, ever since I was a little kid. Playing the game I found I just kept grinding out Sandman and Doc Ock all the time. I read through the indepth guide on pinballnews about the rules and shots, but find when I play, I still get sucked into those two other modes. Even little things would be cool to hear, like how often do you try to make the shot underneath the upper right flipper (like the away team shot in ST)? Besides, with all the bitching on pinside lately, I'd like to read some more things on what people LIKE about pinball.

Spider-man has an awesome rule set and great layout. Pairing modes with doc ock multiballs are a must and the shot multipliers make for great strategy...I like multiplying the right ramp and getting Battle Royale going for big jackpots. Super-Hero is obtainable but VERY difficult to beat. I have outlines opened all the way it can go without removing the posts entirely. The shaker is also integrated fantastically and really is one of sterns best shaker integrations. I pretty much never go for the spider sense shot as its ultra dangerous on my machine...a must make in Super-Hero though. Like LOTR, a good game can last a long time. Maybe not as long as LOTR, but longer than the average game. It's partially why I haven't played it much lately. Not enough time. Still love it and plan on keeping it for a long while...unless VE with comic art comes out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lots-of-spidermans-for-salerecently/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.