Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jeffspinballpalace
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
south-park-season-13-13-dances-with-smurfs.jpg
sm banner.jpg
SM whitewood.jpg
sm2r.jpg
FB_IMG_1434483026964.jpg
sm-ve-playfield.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
spidey.jpg

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I rarely post much anymore, every once in awhile I'll throw a bone.

Throw the Fellowship a bone! LotR VE!

#102 4 years ago

Flat out love the idea of a re-release of a comic drawn/inspired SpiderMan pin. Wish my IMVE were comic inspired but still love mine.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I love MET, but I'd sell my Pro to fund a SM.

I'll excuse this and chalk it up to drinking too early in the day. Such blasphemy.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I'll excuse this and chalk it up to drinking too early in the day. Such blasphemy.

I really love both games, but SM is a bit better in my book. But really, both are super amazing games.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Come on Jared....give us a teaser!

I think he did give you a tease. The question is, did you catch it. I did.
Look at this picture that was posted on their Facebook page of new banners hanging from the factory ceiling.
Take notice of the Spider-Man poster. Although it has no artwork, the layout is the same, however the center inserts are not layed out like a circle on the original design. Is this a hint at the VE? Maybe....

image.jpg
#106 4 years ago

Not to get to sideways but another good question is why is that guy working so high off the ground without a harness on?

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

the layout is the same, however the center inserts are not layed out like a circle on the original design. Is this a hint at the VE? Maybe....

Excellent catch and point BTW.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Not to get to sideways but another good question is why is that guy working so high off the ground without a harness on?

OSHA 1926 requires it. GG Stern.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Ock was right there

image.jpg
#110 4 years ago

Aren't the multiball inserts on LOTR different, for that matter?

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

SM VE will feature revised hand-drawn artwork (ala AC/DC Luci) & no references to the movie.

A creative approach to updating the game and I hope Stern pulls it off (and spends the money for a legit comic artist and decent voice actors).

It's fun to imagine them doing something similar with LOTR -- imagine that game with callouts and music from the movies but proper hand-drawn art! Of course that will never happen, but it will be interesting to see what they do with SM.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Aren't the multiball inserts on LOTR different, for that matter?

Yes they are.

Interesting.

#113 4 years ago

Those could be original playfield design concepts they used for the banners.

#114 4 years ago

It baffles me why some people on here insist that Sony will not license a Tobey Maguire Spider-Man because it is not their currert franchise.

Why? DC licenses older versions of their characrters all the time.

You can buy a new Michael Keaton-era Batman action figure. They are making an animated movie based on the old Batman TV show, with Adam West and Burt Ward returning. DC does stuff like this all the time. The Arkham games aren't based on the Nolan/Dark Knight series. Neither is the LEGO Batman.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

testing gravity !

#117 4 years ago

How about someone with the tools to do so, cut and enhance that PF pic off that banner, and let's see what it looks like up close?

#118 4 years ago

If you look at the other FB pics there are a lot of banners including Avatar and others...

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everything on that playfield is from the movie marketting assets...the logos, the characters. The modes are all based on events in the movies.
This rumor is very interesting - on one hand a comic-based Spidey could be really, really cool! On the other hand - SM as it stands has a very engrossing sound package due to Willem Dafoe & Alfred Molina's clips and J.K. Simmons custom voices. I suppose they could keep the music, as it was all original anyway. If the voices were all new - we risk it sounding like X-Men. It would be very hard to go to a "Shittybeast" sound package on Spidey.
Anyway - this is an interesting rumor...let's see what happens. I could see myself re-buying Spidey if they knock it out of the park.

The PF art is the one minor knock i have against SM...if the PF art was redone in comic style it would be a perfect 10 IMO. I'd sell and re-buy one.

That being said...as you stated, the sound package is phenomenal as is. They couldn't re-use it. It would be hard to match it. They would also have to redo the animations and rework the modes too. And the toys would need to change since they are movie based.

It would be a big task to undertake and I don't see it happening.

#120 4 years ago

If this does happen, and the art / dots / sound are even just "good", I'm a buyer.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

How about someone with the tools to do so, cut and enhance that PF pic off that banner, and let's see what it looks like up close?

Best quality I could get from a quick enlarge:

sm banner.jpg

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

the sound package is phenomenal as is. They couldn't re-use it. It would be hard to match it.

Assuming the sound files from the original game can be extracted in some way, wouldn't it be possible to use Pinball Browser to add original sound assets to the VE if Stern's new voice work sucks? How cleanly this works would depend on how closely the VE gameplay/software tracks the current game of course. But unlike with X-Men, SM VE would have a great source of ready-made callouts to play with.

#123 4 years ago

I think he did give you a tease. The question is, did you catch it. I did.
Look at this picture that was posted on their Facebook page of new banners hanging from the factory ceiling.
Take notice of the Spider-Man poster. Although it has no artwork, the layout is the same, however the center inserts are not layed out like a circle on the original design. Is this a hint at the VE? Maybe....

image.jpg

This is a good catch. The Stern logo's at the bottom are also the newer versions and LOTR and SM were made when the old logo was used so I would think these banners were recently printed.

#124 4 years ago

BETTER....PIC....NEEDED....AURICH

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

BETTER....PIC....NEEDED....AURICH

I looked at it. Just isn't enough data in that little compressed JPEG to pull out anything more useful.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

He has given us a ton of teasers already, hence all this speculation.

#127 4 years ago

So the vault editions could be reboots huh? Pretty cool! It would be a pretty tough choice between lotr & sm though.

#128 4 years ago

What about this one?

FB_IMG_1434483026964.jpg
#129 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

What about this one?

FB_IMG_1434483026964.jpg

Thank god...the Avatar VE we've all been waiting for!!!!

#130 4 years ago

Stern is finally opening up their Microwave Vault!!! sm2r.jpgPut me down for an LE.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from BangBackula:

Stern is finally opening up their Microwave Vault!!! sm2r.jpgPut me down for an LE.

I believe it's officially called Microwa-VE

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It baffles me why some people on here insist that Sony will not license a Tobey Maguire Spider-Man because it is not their currert franchise.

It's not baffling, it has been a consistent excuse from Gary Stern for not doing additional runs of several titles. Obviously deals can eventually be made (see IMVE).

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

This would never happen but could you imagine if Todd McFarlane did the art?

McFarlane is half the reason I got into illustration in the first place. His dynamic redefinition of Spider-Man and getting Marvel to sign off on it was absolutely amazing. Personally I have a hard time visualizing Spider-Man without seeing the McFarlane version - then again I'm not much of fan of old school comic art style. IF there is a SM:VE with comic art there's only a few artists in my mind that really could pull it off.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's not baffling, it has been a consistent excuse from Gary Stern for not doing additional runs of several titles. Obviously deals can eventually be made (see IMVE).

That's two different things. I've never seen Gary say "We can't get the license to X, because there is a new actor/continuity in that franchise."

#135 4 years ago

Why would Stern make VE's? To make money!
There are so many new themes that appeal to more people then old movies like Spiderman, lotr, Tron...
They would only do a VE run for a certain number of machines for where they have ''old NOS'' stock for. They will not build 500 much wanted lotrs, trons or SMs for which they will have to order new parts. They want to sell 3000 or more machines. They do not care about a few home users LOL.
IM VE is I suppose being rebuild because they still had many IM specific parts on their shelves.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

IM is still relevant to the licensor as RDJ continues to portray the character in IM and Avengers movies. Tobey Spidey is ancient history from a licensing standpoint...hell, now Amazing Spider-Man is irrelevant due to to the series being shelved & a new Spidey being cast for the Marvel Universe. Comic Spidey makes sense because it's relevant AND Stern doesn't have to deal with Sony - they can deal with the Disney/Marvel people they've done lots of business with.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

IM VE is I suppose being rebuild because they still had many IM specific parts on their shelves.

Wrong. IMve was newly made parts....new style cabinet...new decals. They even had to mold the figurines themselves, as they could not get more from Hasbro.

#138 4 years ago

Ok, point taken but still plenty of ''old'' parts left to build. IM was still an ''actual'' theme where lotr,tron and sm are old and forgotten by the public. In case Stern decides to re-issue a Lotr, tron or SM it would be a tribute to the Pinsiders, a charity.

#139 4 years ago

Ok, point taken but still plenty of ''old'' parts left to build. IM was still an ''actual'' theme where lotr,tron and sm are old and forgotten by the public. In case Stern decides to re-issue a Lotr, tron or SM it would be a tribute to the Pinsiders, a charity.

Those are not forgotten themes. They are evergreen. Everyone on the planet knows what Spider-Man and LOTR are....and fans of the franchises are in the millions. Tron's a bit more niche...but it's Disney & has a strong cult following.

#140 4 years ago

It would be the first company in the world to do some serious charity, I would embrace it!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

IM is still relevant to the licensor as RDJ continues to portray the character in IM and Avengers movies. Tobey Spidey is ancient history from a licensing standpoint...hell, now Amazing Spider-Man is irrelevant due to to the series being shelved & a new Spidey being cast for the Marvel Universe. Comic Spidey makes sense because it's relevant AND Stern doesn't have to deal with Sony - they can deal with the Disney/Marvel people they've done lots of business with.

You've hit the nail on the head on why Stern should keep the layout, but re-theme it as a generic Spider-Man game.

However, I still maintain, that if Stern WANTED to re-run the original, Tobey Maguire version, Sony would most likely license that. The excuses I've heard are here don't stand up to what other companies are doing.

#142 4 years ago

I would love a spiderman! Someone please sell one near me. Or a VE ...Ooooooooo spidey from comics and killer art redraw! I would be so in for a VE

#143 4 years ago

Sorry, just sold mine.. its not that great so dont feel sad

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

That's two different things. I've never seen Gary say "We can't get the license to X, because there is a new actor/continuity in that franchise."

He has discussed it talks, and I also had a long conversation with him on the topic. He said Marvel in particular is sensitive about their licenses being up to date with the current incarnation of a franchise. For example if Marvel is actively promoting a current movie franchise, they don't think a pinball machine using the old franchise is as helpful... which is the case with SM more than IM. A comic art SM is a nice way to use the timeless source material.

#145 4 years ago

Is this a hint at the VE?

Quoted from Aurich:

Just isn't enough data in that little compressed JPEG to pull out anything more useful.

Maybe this will jog some folk's grey jello buckets as to why the inserts are different on some of the banners...
SM whitewood.jpg

#146 4 years ago

I agree to a point. All three of those movie pins have deeper roots than just the movies they were modeled from though, and I think in most cases, people can look past those versions of the movies. LotRs is usually high in people's favorite movies of all time. If they come out with a Jaws pin, that'll show that they aren't always interest in what is popular at the moment. They have a rich history and loyal following. Avatar, not so much. Think about how many LotR fans there are, Tron fans, Spidey fans there are.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I agree to a point. All three of those movie pins have deeper roots than just the movies they were modeled from though, and I think in most cases, people can look past those versions of the movies. LotRs is usually high in people's favorite movies of all time. If they come out with a Jaws pin, that'll show that they aren't always interest in what is popular at the moment. They have a rich history and loyal following. Avatar, not so much. Think about how many LotR fans there are, Tron fans, Spidey fans there are.

Avatar is very popular...plus two more movies to come (or was it three).

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Avatar is very popular...plus two more movies to come (or was it three).

Yeah whom the hell even knows anymore...thought they were coming out years & years ago. Wonder how much interest they can drum up this time? Maybe a ton, won;t be from me though...god that movie was pathetic.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah whom the hell even knows anymore...thought they were coming out years & years ago. Wonder how much interest they can drum up this time? Maybe a ton, won;t be from me though...god that movie was pathetic.

I enjoyed it as a mindless action flick in 3d...it wasnt great, but it was entertaining even if it was Dancing with Smurfs.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I enjoyed it as a mindless action flick in 3d...it wasnt great, but it was entertaining even if it was Dancing with Smurfs.

Hey the Smurfs were the best part; ouch. Actually, the 3d subtitles were. I hear ya though...just don;t seem to have anytime anymore for mindless summer movies. Probably just getting old & lazy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plano, TX
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside