(Topic ID: 259560)

Lots of maintenance - do fuses get old and weak?

By twoplays25

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3461 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Spent the weekend going through 10 games and fixing all the little stuff that builds up over time. Some bad GI connections, flipper rubbers, adjustments, etc. Got every game up and running and had some friends over Sat. night to put it all to the test.

Oddly, I had a rash of fuses go on different games. Granted, these games do not get a lot of use.. I cycle them periodically.

On Batman Forever, replaced the PPB board and had F7 go and F6 twice. All settled down now.
On Golden eye, ball drained and display went blank. 4 missing pinballs. Replaced F23. Display came back. Then F21. Coils. All working fine after several games.
Theatre of Magic -- trunk eddy unexpicably started causing no sound on Multiball. Adjusted it and viola everything good.
Total left field GI and backbox inserts busting balls.
And then top play field on Creature.
Sat night, balls on the Cirqus Voltaire would get stuck at the top of the high wire lock entrance.

WTF?
It's like someone was phucking with me all weekend.

Every time I get done, wipe the glass and set the lighting and start playing, yet another something comes up.

Do you think fuses can get weakened over time and then lots of gameplay causes some failures?
Just odd how many 3 amp fuses I went through getting things back up and running.

IMG_3461 (resized).jpgIMG_3461 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Yes fuses new or old do tend to blow at anytime for any reason.Fuses are the weakest link in the chain

#3 4 years ago

Stress, heat, vibration, and age can all play a part into why a fuse can blow. However, I would expect maybe one out of 25 old fuses to blow at random.

Also, if you're not sticking with some of the known quality brands, that could be a factor as well.

Most of the time, I'll put fresh fuses in a project game.

#4 4 years ago

"Electrical Fatigue"

#5 4 years ago

Corrosion can cause problems too. And on Data East games the fuse clips actually crack and break.

#6 4 years ago

Are you running any surge protectors? I have very good ones on our games, and unplug them when not using

#7 4 years ago

Theres always that made in China factor too

#8 4 years ago

Three things:

#1) For any game, heat will cause fuses to blow (they are mostly thermal devices) so loose connections, corrosion, etc. on the fuse holder which could cause spot heating.

#2) For E/M games with linear power supplies, high line voltage will cause higher current draw

#3) For more recent games with switched-mode power supplies, low line voltage will cause higher current draw. Voltage distortion / waveform collapse related to too many nonlinear (not sinusoidal current) loads on the circuit might also be an issue.

Because you seem to be having problems across multiple games, check your line voltage. Could be undersized branch conductors, long run length, loose connections on outlets, etc.

Electrical power quality is (one of my) day jobs; I imagine folks with a lot of games plugged in might run into problems overloading a circuit now and then.

#9 4 years ago

Just replaced a fuse on my DESW GI that was weak. Had a 3v voltage drop across the ends of the fuse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 9.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lots-of-maintenance-do-fuses-get-old-and-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.