LOTR_Center_Ramp.JPG
LOTR_Legolas_Shot.JPG
IMG_0040-1.jpg
IMG_0035-1.JPG
IMG_0136.jpg
rlj8R.jpg
20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I am wanting to put just a few leds in my LOTR to give it just a hint of color. I agree that the regular lights look good, but just want some color in a few of the GI areas. What have u done that u like? Thinking the back row of lights, potd area, sword ramp area? Slingshot area? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

I did colored led's in the fellowship inserts, and a color changer in palantir.

20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes.jpg20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Stick one in the ring flasher

#4 11 years ago

Slippery slope here, vader1979. In general, LED'ing typically isn't a "only a couple areas" type of thing. After doing a few, you'll likely want to finish the job. It's not a bad thing, though. LEDs, when tastefully done look great, particularly in Sterns.

I really like the Cointaker 2-LED cool white and warm white for GI. I rarely use colors for GI. Warm and cool whites will complement the existing artwork without saturating it. Warms are good for yellows, oranges, and reds. Cools are good for whites, blues, and greens. The 2-LEDs do a decent job of spreading the light without being overpowering. Frosted LEDs do better for spreading light, but are a little weaker.

Order a handful of 2-LEDs and frosted from Cointaker, then take it from there. Have fun and good luck!

EDIT: I don't have a LOTR, but here's a recent Iron Man that I did. I did some blue and red in the GI where appropriate, but it's mostly whites.

rlj8R.jpgrlj8R.jpg

#5 11 years ago

There is no tasteful way to change the color of the GI lighting in LOTR.

#6 11 years ago

i have always had a strict 'black-tie required' when playing any LE models in my home policy.

adds class!

-jon - reciprocal nyc

IMG_0136.jpgIMG_0136.jpg

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There is no tasteful way to change the color of the GI lighting in LOTR.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

I did color bulbs under the fellowship characters and a few bolds or color condoms on GI for mood like red in mordor and green near hobbiton.

The only LED is a color changer for Palantir.

#8 11 years ago

GI color changes can work in other pins, but LOTR is an overwhelmingly red game. Red + other colors just doesn't work, IMO.

#9 11 years ago

I'm a huge led fan, but IMHO LOTR is one game that just looks wrong with led's.
I've yet to see one with led's that looks good. Maybe all warm white bulbs and a color changer
for Palantir???

#10 11 years ago

Guess I never thought about just regular colored incandescents... that might be the way to go...

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

regular colored incandescents

Yes

#12 11 years ago

The right LEDs are fantastic in LOTR guys...you can do a nice job on LOTR but you have to take your time. Non ghosting LED's under the inserts and use the same color. NO LEDs under the clear inserts. Warm white retros for the GI, but not in any of them where the player can see the bulb directly. Leave standard incandecent in those so the player does not get any glare in their eyes.

If you wanna start slow start with colored LEDs under your green inserts and warm retro under the slings. Just keep moving up from there.

#13 11 years ago

I only have a few LEDs in any of the inserts (color flasher in Palantir and Mode start), because the fading effects are very prominent on this game and they are ruined with LEDs.

But I do have a lot of LEDs in the GI. I agree with others, a lot of different colors on LOTR will not look good. I have a lot of orange LEDs in the top portion of the PF. It gives a kind of fiery glow, which perfectly compliments the theme in my opinion. I have one green super bright in the far left of the backboard shining down on the PotD. I have a mix of orange and white in the rest of the backboard.

Currently have some warm white and cool white LEDs under the slings, but I'm not happy with the look, so I'm going to have to figure something else out...possibly just going back to incandescents there.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Guess I never thought about just regular colored incandescents... that might be the way to go...

I have all amber incandescents behind the mode Ring on the backboard.

#15 11 years ago

If I were to go LEDs, I was looking a the premium non ghosting from CT. But was curious on frosted, regular or 2-led versions... Which? And warm whites or pure whites under the white inserts? People say warm looks good with yellows, oranges and reds.... And LOTR has a ton of that, but I do like the contrast and pop a pure white gives you...

Part of my decision is to try and save some stress nd heat on the power driver board. Is that really a valid concern for going led over incandescent on LOTR from 2003?

#16 11 years ago

bump as I want to buy in the next hour! Thanks

#17 11 years ago

In general, LEDs are too harsh for LoTR. Colored incandescent is the way to go, with a few LED highlights (dead guys, wraiths, palantir):

IMG_0035-1.JPGIMG_0035-1.JPG IMG_0040-1.jpgIMG_0040-1.jpg

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Replace the black post sleeves with the orange Cliffy sleeves and that will give you all the touch of matching/tasteful color that you need.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/colorpost2/LOTR_Cliffy_02.JPG

#19 11 years ago

Led's - IMO I would say only on the spotlights and under the palantir insert and globe. Maybe the mode start, but thats it. LOTR is definately NOT an led type game and I have no problems with leds in general.

#20 11 years ago

Okay, just ordered colored incandescent from PBL. I kind of like the idea of putting some blues in the GI down around the flipper lanes and leaving slingshots green. I'll have to mess around a see how it looks.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

In general, LEDs are too harsh for LoTR. Colored incandescent is the way to go, with a few LED highlights (dead guys, wraiths, palantir):

It's all a matter of taste and opinion.

The green lights you have under the slings looks out of place to me.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Led's - IMO I would say only on the spotlights and under the palantir insert and globe. Maybe the mode start, but thats it. LOTR is definately NOT an led type game and I have no problems with leds in general.

Yeah, I finally succumbed to LED madness and fully converted almost all of my games...but not LOTR. I've thought about *maybe* doing some warm whites in the GI but honestly I think I'd just be wasting money/time. I started to do my other games cuz they just looked "weird" and "old" when I got AC/DC Prem and X-Men LE. However, LOTR still looks great with its stock bulbs...the golden glow absolutely works with the theme, art, and ramps...and as Rob said, the fading FX are much better with incandescent. I LED'd my TSPP, which is a fellow Whitestar game, and a trade-off was the smooth fades....however, the striking colors and brightness gained on TSPP made it a worthwhile trade-off IMO. Dunno if LOTR would feel like a worthwhile trade-off.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's all a matter of taste and opinion.
The green lights you have under the slings looks out of place to me.

Yes, of course its my opinion. IMO, everything I post is my opinion. IMO, I shouldn't have to specifically say IMO in order for you to know its my opinion. And the green rocks... IMO of course.

#24 11 years ago

thinking of using frosted white under most in mine, want the game to be brighter...and a color changer in the palantir....love this thread and perfect timeing....also found a sweet layout of IM almost like mine...Now someone needs to post about LEDs in a TSPP...

#25 11 years ago

In just about every thread on here when LEDs and LOTR comes up, people recommend you stick with incandescent about 4. So that's what I'm doing. I just picked up a LOTR and I'm taking out all the frosted CT LEDs (they ghost pretty bad, which is why I wanted to change) and going with colored incandescent.

#26 11 years ago

LOTR has an organic look that uses incandescent fade in the light show, so colored incandescents would be fine but LEDs just don't work, except for one spot: behind the crystal ball.

#27 11 years ago

I stuck with my gut and agree with most of you. I ordered a couple color changing LEDs for mode start, palantir, and destroy the ring. Also got LEDs for the three pop bumpers and two for the yellow flashers by the flippers. For the rest I ordered regular colored incandescents in green, red, amber, yellow, and blue. Gonna try two green by potd, then some amber, then maybe two red by orthanc tower, see if it gives it a lava glow on the back box. Ant to try either amber or yellow on the 9 GI along the shooter lane. Maybe a green or blue one under potd. Don't know about the slings yet. Will be trial and error. But I am sticking with the incandescents, so whatever I choose, should look good overall. My whole objective was to just give it more color overall. I am leaving the inserts alone for now. I like the way those look as is...

#28 11 years ago

With every mod you make, you have to ask yourself: am I improving on what the artist and designer created, and am I really a better judge of "taste" than they were?

I don't think colored GI works in any game. If it did, we'd see a lot more pins coming from the factory that way.

#29 11 years ago

I had led's in my RCT and JP. I picked up a LOTR LE last week and thought about led's, but I think I'm sticking to standard bulbs as it looks good as is. Post pics when you install the few you got as I am curious how it will look. The only led I'm doing for sure is the eye flasher from pinball life when they are back in stock. - Barry

#30 11 years ago

No LED's in this shot.

LOTR_Legolas_Shot.JPGLOTR_Legolas_Shot.JPG

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

No LED's in this shot.

Moar please

#32 11 years ago

My LOTR came with LEDs. What fading effect am I missing without the incadescents? I'm happy with the way the game looks now but feel like I am missing something. Never should have read this thread.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

With every mod you make, you have to ask yourself: am I improving on what the artist and designer created, and am I really a better judge of "taste" than they were?
I don't think colored GI works in any game. If it did, we'd see a lot more pins coming from the factory that way.

lol

In case you haven't noticed, all new Sterns since AC/DC come with colored GI!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

lol
In case you haven't noticed, all new Sterns since AC/DC come with colored GI!

Is that just the LEs, or the Pros too? I was hoping the Pros would continue to use standard 44/555 bulbs.

#35 11 years ago

Here you go. There are no LEDs in this shot...

LOTR_Center_Ramp.JPGLOTR_Center_Ramp.JPG

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

My LOTR came with LEDs. What fading effect am I missing without the incadescents? I'm happy with the way the game looks now but feel like I am missing something. Never should have read this thread.

There are a lot of fading light shows in the game. The bulbs smoothly transition on/off. With LEDs, it's a bit of a choppy transition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrwhat-tasteful-leds-to-ad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.