• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243015.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey all,

I'll put this out there. I'm humming and hawing on buying a Wizard of Oz. I'm a fan of the somewhat slow, progressing style of games (TSPP and LotR are favourites, and I've had a TZ in the past). I'm not trying to start another love/hate sort of thread, but was wondering: if you find yourself to be a fan of the stop and go, deep style of games, and you've owned some of the deeper games, how have you found WoZ in a home environment? There's part of me that wonders if it's one of the better representations of that style of play and worth buying. Another part wonders if it falls into the category of taking things too far to an extreme rule-wise, making the game seem like work to make any real progress. I've heard similar arguments levelled against LotR, and can't exactly disagree when people say you can have a half hour game and get nowhere. Any thoughts?

Luke

#2 9 years ago

You make some good points. I have only had limited play time on ECWOZ. Three of my Colorado springs pinhead friends own the machine. I find it very appealing and wonderful to play. It is my grail pinball at the moment . The Theme is great . Grew up watching Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney . The WOZ film is a all time classic . I really do not think you will be let down. It is a great pinball machine. I wish I had the space . If so it would be in my collection. Good luck .

#3 9 years ago

I have LOTR and WOZ - they are both stunning in their own way. They also compliment each other very well, even though both are stop and go shooter-style pins. You'll find a lot of haters with any machine (I'm not a big fan of TZ, although I think it's just because I don't understand it), but as a noob to the hobby, I can tell you that I'm glad I started my collection with WOZ, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

As for the rule set, it's true that you'll probably never finish it (like LOTR), but that's not a bad thing. I got a Congo a couple weeks ago and got to the wizard mode (super multi-ball) in two days and wondered, "Is that all there is?" Well...it's not. But it's close. I've never said that about WOZ. If you beat the witch, you get one jewel...and have eleven more to go. Brutal, but oh so much fun!

#4 9 years ago

I currently have all the games you mention. TZ is the closest of those games to WOZ. Deep rules is the only thing LoTR has in common with WOZ. WOZ is a deep game, no doubt. I like the game play but I will admit I'm playing it less frequently than some of the other games. Not sure if that helps but WOZ is an incredible game with an incredibly well thought out ruleset. Much like TSPP, LoTR and TZ, I doubt ill ever see it all.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

There's part of me that wonders if it's one of the better representations of that style of play and worth buying.

Hey Luke,

I am of this opinion with respect to WOZ. ^^^

I'm a big fan of LOTR, TZ, and WOZ...but I haven't owned any of them.

--Luke

#6 9 years ago

LOTR - Yes
TSPP - No
TZ - Yeppers
WOZ - Wow

Those are just my opinions. All games that are a quest have some element of frustration when you fail. On WOZ if I get to battle the witch, I want to melt her! Unfortunately it's difficult to do, so I'll fail more often than not. Or struggling to start rescue and then dumping out of it in 20 seconds. But the game is a blast, and it hasn't ever felt like chopping wood.

As for my opinions, LOTR is just a classic. A wonderful ruleset that always keeps you going.

TSPP just misses the mark for me. I don't enjoy playing it that much, but I understand why it's popular. I'd just want to change the entire sound package.

TZ speaks for itself. It takes a little while to get to know it, but if you can play through that, there is a reason it is so highly rated.

So if you like quest games, WOZ is a good one. And on top of that, the game is a bitch. It has a combination of simple objectives, more complex ones, and damn near impossible ones. I like a game with that much to it. The game turned me into a fanboy.

#7 9 years ago

Have you seen this video?

I've owned them all except WOZ that I'm still patiently waiting for. They were all great pins, but TZ was my favorite. After about 40 games or so on WOZ there is still a ton I don't know, but my games are getting longer and more fun, not less.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

LOTR - Yes
TSPP - No
TZ - Yeppers
WOZ - Wow
Those are just my opinions. All games that are a quest have some element of frustration when you fail. On WOZ if I get to battle the witch, I want to melt her! Unfortunately it's difficult to do, so I'll fail more often than not. Or struggling to start rescue and then dumping out of it in 20 seconds. But the game is a blast, and it hasn't ever felt like chopping wood.
As for my opinions, LOTR is just a classic. A wonderful ruleset that always keeps you going.
TSPP just misses the mark for me. I don't enjoy playing it that much, but I understand why it's popular. I'd just want to change the entire sound package.
TZ speaks for itself. It takes a little while to get to know it, but if you can play through that, there is a reason it is so highly rated.
So if you like quest games, WOZ is a good one. And on top of that, the game is a bitch. It has a combination of simple objectives, more complex ones, and damn near impossible ones. I like a game with that much to it. The game turned me into a fanboy.

Well said Dave

#9 9 years ago

Spend $6 and go play two hours at Wonderland. It's back out on the floor. I will be there next week.

#10 9 years ago

I have LOTR, TZ, and WOZ. WOZ is awesome. I also love ST, ACDC, and SM. For me, variety is important, and WOZ brings a lot to the table there. I find it very challenging and it embodies the Python Anghelo concept of an amusement park under the glass better than anything I think.

#11 9 years ago

Have TZ , TSPP and WOZ......yes to WOZ.....very deep, very fun to play...you won't regret it.......mark

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I have LOTR, TZ, and WOZ. WOZ is awesome. I also love ST, ACDC, and SM. For me, variety is important, and WOZ brings a lot to the table there. I find it very challenging and it embodies the Python Anghelo concept of an amusement park under the glass better than anything I think.

Agree...variety is important for me, as well...my SM and TRONLE fill the need for speed, WCS, FG, and TAF are just fun...

#13 9 years ago

based on this (which is pretty damn cool), Id say you'd be in deep-rule-heaven with the pin:

243015.jpg243015.jpg

#14 9 years ago

I have only played it a few times, but I did like it…. And TZ is my all time favorite

#15 9 years ago

I've owned all 4...

I sold the LOTR. I still have TZ, TSPP, WOZ. None of those games are leaving any time soon.

I didn't care much for the game play on LOTR. It just seemed too "clunky".

You'll love WOZ.

#16 9 years ago

I agree. I have LOTR, TZ and WOZ. They fit together very well, especially TZ and WOZ. If you like one, there is a very good chance you'll like the other.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 5.00
$ 16.95
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 91.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrtspptz-fans-yesno-on-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.