(Topic ID: 38989)

LOTR...ready to take chainsaw after it!!!

By vader1979

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You dont get TSPP wizard mode by conpleting AI, there is more to it than that.
Also destroy ring is not the final wizard mode.
Go read the rules of the games...

I read the rule sheet in the link provided, says nothing about wizard mode. I think I just got to destroy the ring, but that does seem pretty far along...not bad for a rookie.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I read the rule sheet in the link provided, says nothing about wizard mode. I think I just got to destroy the ring, but that does seem pretty far along...not bad for a rookie.

Getting to DTR isn't the easiest thing. I mean, you have to get all the Fellowship members, start the multiball, get 3 locks in the sword, and also collect 5,000 souls and start the 3rd multiball. That's a decent amount of work. Don't let anybody tell you that it's a routine thing to destroy the ring every time they play.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Getting to DTR isn't the easiest thing. I mean, you have to get all the Fellowship members, start the multiball, get 3 locks in the sword, and also collect 5,000 souls and start the 3rd multiball. That's a decent amount of work. Don't let anybody tell you that it's a routine thing to destroy the ring every time they play.

It's not terribly difficult, but it doesn't happen every game. TABA is MUCH tougher to get to IMO. I think Keith once said that DTR was meant to be achievable for the average player, while getting to Valinor was for the expert/pro. I think TABA sits between those two in difficulty of reaching.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's not terribly difficult, but it doesn't happen every game. TABA is MUCH tougher to get to IMO. I think Keith once said that DTR was meant to be achievable for the average player, while getting to Valinor was for the expert/pro. I think TABA sits between those two in difficulty of reaching.

Sure, but why would you go and tell someone to "go learn how to play pinball" if they're at least getting that far with it? I'm guessing that your average casual player wouldn't complete that mode. Your average pinball collector? Sure.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from beauimpala:

Wow........learn to play pinball is all I've got to say....

Well as long as we're being critical.

Wow.....learn to check the dates on the thread is all I've got to say. This an old thread brought back up because someone else had a question about the game. Guess you couldn't get past your criticism of the OP to figure that out though.

If you want to be a jerk, at least attempt to look intelligent while you do it.

#56 11 years ago

North Dakotans just can't hack it...

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Keith....can you weigh in here, is there a mystery 7th Gift of Elves?
STRATEGY TO VALINOR.......
My best strategy is to start working the TTT MB first, in conjunction
with Ring Modes, getting at least three rings modes in the first ball,
but not lighting the final lock on TTT MB if at all possible (left and
right ramps), to keep the ring modes open to collect.
I work the "War of the Ents" to maximize the trips to Path of Dead for
souls toward the ROTK MB. I do this by "setting up" the ring mode
selection, but adjusting the top lights to one light to left of War of
the Ents, and shooting the Ring from the right flipper. Another way
to maximize souls, is to use the sword ramp drop, in conjunction with
the right flipper shot directing around the left orbit.
By this time all three MBs are generally lit (with all those different
shots), and TTT MB is most likely already completed, and being lit for
a second time. I start another ring mode and I rape TTT MB for
points, extra balls, and completion of the ring mode (Attack of Shelob
is a good TTT MB choice).
I try to hold off Gollum MB if at all possible, until "Destroy the
Ring" is lit. Then I start Gollum MB. When this occurs the Ring shot
reverts back to allowing Ring Modes to be completed. I continue to
work Ring Modes in conjunction with Gollum, and play out FOTR MB, with
four immediate balls to get the Cave Troll Award and maximize chances
for completing FOTR MB.
If you are not able to complete all the Ring Modes and There and Back
Again, prior to Destroying the Ring, you will have to do it all again
(all the Movie MBs).......to get back to the chance to start Valinor.
The basic key is to use Ring Modes in conjunction with MB, to maximize
the effect. This way seem like common sense, but its tricky to
complete the Ring Modes without finishing all the MBs first, and
ending up already getting to the Destroy the Ring, which nullifies the
ability to get There and Back Again, without a Gollum MB. That is
why, is so important to get at least three Ring Modes on the first
ball of a 3-Ball game.

What he said above. This is a sound strategy.

I have been oh so close to getting there but I always get stymied by FOTR. I think I have achieved around 5 characters across.

TABA is a great mode and if you just keeping zinging through the ring modes, you will achieve it.

Destroy the Ring is still one of the best modes in pinball IMHO. Got to it a couple of times in a game this past weekend but just couldn't get that last shot through!

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

TTBA isn't hard to get to when you think of it, it's just that you get caught up in all the other stuff, and if you are goal oriented towards Valinor, you are focused on chipping away at the modes, and combining them with MBs.

TTBA only takes starting the 6 modes, and relighting to start TTBA. It takes three elf or ring shots to relight the mode start. Really, you could just fire ring shots and load up each additional mode, and burn that away with controlled ramp shots.

What is hard is finishing TTBA. I've done that about 4-5 times now. In games you get to TTBA, you are usually "on", so it's not hard picking a shot, and then the ring, and so on. You need the planatir extra time though to make it through.

Either way, if you are frustrated with LOTR for some reason, try to figure out why, as the game is "that" good, and you should never give it up

#59 11 years ago

Wow 2 weeks old. Please forgive me pinball gods for stating the obvious......slingshots aren't there to guide the balls to the flippers. Too many new jabronis asking the stupidest questions on here. Also I have a life and am not on here 12 hours a day like some of you. I was simply making a comment to the original post.........which was ridiculous.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from beauimpala:

Wow 2 weeks old. Please forgive me pinball gods for stating the obvious......slingshots aren't there to guide the balls to the flippers. Too many new jabronis asking the stupidest questions on here. Also I have a life and am not on here 12 hours a day like some of you. I was simply making a comment to the original post.........which was ridiculous.

You're ridiculous.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

What is the purpose of the slingshots anyways? Seems like 96% of the time the ball hits the sling and gets kicked back and forth the ball drains...

You hit the nail on the head.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, make sure that the post between the inlanes and outlanes has a rubber ring on it.

LOTR is not supposed to have a rubber on those posts. Plus it drains less without it.

Lets quit with the crap, ok. There are better ways to say things than "Learn to play better."
To the OP, you can't master pinball in two weeks. Just like most things, it takes practice, watching other players to pick up techniques, and more practice.

#62 11 years ago

Guess I'm sorry for restarting this thread, just had a simple question about wizard mode...thanks to those that gave serious answers, they are useful. Seems I have a lot of work to do...

Next time ill start a new thread, where for sure someone will say "not another thread about lotr rules".

#63 11 years ago

Yes, there are 7 Elf Gifts needed for Valinor.

Personally I consider DTR to be a mini-wizard mode. I would consider almost anything that you need to complete/play other things first to be at least a mini-wizard mode. And yes, DTR is specifically easier to get to than anything else because "normal people" need to have a shot at it.

Personally speaking, I have never been a fan of using Gollum to avoid DTR, I feel there are too many points in DTR to ignore it, and it's usually not that hard to complete. It's a minimum of 15M for completion (+2.5M each other time, though the finish bonus caps at 15M I think), plus chances are you're going to need to play the multiballs again anyway to complete them, so why not take it. Extra Elf Gift, too.

As for requiring DTR to be the last thing, I thought it was the perfect jumping-off point for Valinor for obvious story-related reasons. It makes a lot more sense there than to just have it be lit after whatever the last thing you do is. Plus, I really liked the added tension and importance of that final DTR.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Plus, I really liked the added tension and importance of that final DTR.

Agree. There's really a pucker factor when you're playing DTR and that's all you need to finish to get to Valinor.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

As for requiring DTR to be the last thing, I thought it was the perfect jumping-off point for Valinor for obvious story-related reasons. It makes a lot more sense there than to just have it be lit after whatever the last thing you do is. Plus, I really liked the added tension and importance of that final DTR.

I agree with all of that, but it is the fact that DTR is the last thing that you have to do after you complete all the other requirements that makes getting to Valinor the bitch that it is!

I've completed all of the requirements twice now (beat all 3 MB's, 7 GotE's, TABA, and DTR). But...not in that order! I haven't got to the point where I have started DTR as the last step to Valinor. Always had another MB or two that I need to play to get there again.

My day will come!

#66 11 years ago

If you play one ball DTR and drain after Gollum has the ring (in 2 ball this is when a ball is held by the ring magnet), does it give you another ball or does it end your turn. In 2 ball you can continue playing if you drain one ball.

#67 11 years ago

wow, you're a dick

Quoted from beauimpala:

#68 11 years ago

Yes, this post is older. And in that short amount of time I have drastically improved in my gameplay. Game has become funner and I am able to control the ball better. At the time of the post I was just really frustrated at what was happening and didn't understand if it was me, or something with the game setup. If you read the post, I do state that I know there is a lot that I still need to learn and that I need to practice. To those that feel the need to bash me because of my post, just remember that at one time in your life, you sucked at pinball as well.

#69 11 years ago

Wow, I seriously thought that I had started this thread in my sleep. The title looks exactly like MY work!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrready-to-take-chainsaw-after-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.