(Topic ID: 124589)

LOTR:Lord of the Rings Vault Edition Confirmed?

By Join_The_Cirqus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 292 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by mpdpvdpin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
download (1).jpg
2015-04-17-19-34-45.png
61379852.jpg
download.jpg
my precious.png
HiRes.jpg
27d3f129919791c48a0bd75a02ed8c59.jpg
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.png
k9h93.jpg
shire_detail.jpg
preach.png
photo-24033.gif
FU3087lg.jpg
pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
nfa.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 9 years ago

OMG...another inane LOTR VE thread. AHHHHH

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

And OMG once again the people that yell the loudest in all of them are the people that currently own an existing LOTR and are afraid of it losing value if this godforsaken VE rumor comes to pass!
THE HORROR! YOU WILL LOSE MONEY ON THE PINBALL MACHINE YOU OWN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!
I own a SM and think a VE is possible for it. Any Stern fetching over $5000 on the used market is viable. My machine might drop up to $1000 or more in value if it comes to pass. Do you find me bitching and moaning at every chance to try and convince people that it ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT HAPPEN (and you should *nudge* *nudge* make me an OFFER ON MINE)? No. But I am not in this hobby as an investment or for my livelihood. If you chose to get out of the stock market and bank on pins, I'm sorry.

My OMG has nothing to do with losing money. I'm not into pinball for money. My entire collection could go to 0 and it wouldn't effect my lifestyle one bit.

My OMG is because it's misguided and folks that focus so much attention on it are misguided. I'd much rather see Stern innovate rather than regurgitate.

Occasionally, I think doing another run is a good thing. For example, I think IM was totally justified because the supply was really too small. It bummed me out that I couldn't move my modded out IM, however I just decided to keep it (which was a good thing in retrospect since I play it often).

LOTR doesn't need another run. Period.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Agreed, I think the software fixed the problem. I have the original coils in mine and a friend made it to Valinor, so I would say they are fine.
I have played a machine with the Pinball Life coils and the game seemed a little easier to me because the ramp shots didn't need to be as precise for the ball to make it all the way up.

No doubt it was a software tweak. When I upgraded, my machine immediately felt like it was on steroids Not just flipper power, but VUK's, etc. The Gimli VUK was so strong that it would bounce back 50% of the time (really annoying). Tried fiddling with the machine settings with no luck. Finally had to tie the wire form down to eliminate any flex/bounce. Now it never bounces back.

As far as power goes, my machine has been played at shows nonstop and the flippers don't lose power. Just say no to fans...it's a hack.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Ultimately introducing more games into the market is a good thing for the pinball hobby as a whole as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like you are an expert on the hobby. I'm curious...

- How long have you been in the hobby?
- How many games do you own?
- How many have you restored?

snaroff

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

How does this relate to his post? I agree - more games in the ecosystem means more people can enjoy the greats.

mrclean had a long, pedantic post trying to correlate what many of us own and our view on this topic. Since his profile doesn't disclose what he owns, I was trying to understand his background a bit.

In any event, I disagree that "more is better"...pinball is certainly experiencing a revival, however flooding the market with pins isn't smart. The number of people willing to fork over 5-10k on a 200-400lb toy are limited.

Stern did many runs of LOTR over the years and the supply seems just right. Unless they are going to improve it in some way, producing more doesn't make sense. As many of us have pointed out, obtaining a LOTR for a sensible price isn't that difficult. This wasn't true for IM...the demand for IM far outstripped supply. Tweaking it and doing a VE rerun made a lot of sense. I own both LOTR and IM.

snaroff

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

What is a sensible price according to you? That is the real question. Everyone's idea of sensible price is different. My feelings are if I could pay roughly the same amount for a NIB vs some beater, I'm gonna want NIB obviously. I have not come across one for less than $5k that wasn't routed with some issues and in need of a full shop job yet, been looking for years, and I'm in NJ and these pop up all the time. If one in that condition popped up at like 3k5, I'd be all over it. But 5k+ for a routed beat-up game is silly.

I agree that 5k+ for a routed beat-up game is silly. Sounds like we are on the same page in terms of what's sensible.

Here is my anecdotal evidence that LOTR demand isn't that great. I tried to sell mine on both coasts (as the result of an east->west coast move). It's single-owner, HUO in exceptional condition. I was asking 5.5k on the east coast 1 year ago. 2 months ago I was asking 5.7k with a ColorDMD installed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-lotr-single-owner-great-condition
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cq-lotr-low-plays-single-owner-5500

Both SoCal and Florida have very healthy pinball communities. Very recently, I've had some queries about my LOTR (I believe as a result of the skepticism surrounding the likelihood of Stern doing a VE). Unfortunately, for them, I've taken it off the market because I decided to sell something else. For many of us, selling pinball machines is more about emotion and less about money!

Bottom line: If LOTR demand was at IM demand levels (prior to IMVE), my pin would have sold very quickly.

snaroff

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

To be fair, LOTR is pretty much guessed to be the most likely next VE made, and is impacting the market for them. The market for IM pre-VE thought that stern *should* rerun IM, but there were posts upon posts from pinside users listing all the reasons why it would never happen, and I think most people thought it never would.
I would like a LOTR, but paying 5.5k+ for an HUO when I may be able to buy a NIB VE within the year at roughly the same price or possibly cheaper? Or wait until the VE is launched and buy a HUO original for sub 5k? I think I'll wait.

Man, when I was building my collection, if I wanted a pin, I never sat back and said, "Hmm, should I wait for the stars to align so I can save $500 or so". I said, "do I trust the seller?...do I want the pin?...is it a fair price?". If I answered "yes" to those 3 questions, I bought it and moved on...

I just don't understand the "deer in the headlights" VE waiting game. I'm more about living today and having fun. Different strokes I guess, and I hope you eventually get your sub 5k HUO original!

snaroff

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

AS a potential buyer here is my problem. Your HUO could be up to 12 years old. Now, I really like LOTR, owned the same exact machine twice in fact. I want another, but here is the kicker.
12 year old machine for 5.5k or nib stern for 4400? Metallica is an excellent game. I can also get a lightly used ACDC for that matter, also an amazing game. Both of which are newer and cheaper.
Now add in that there is a good chance stern will remake LOTR and which sounds like the better idea? Buy an amazing NIB game that stern makes now and wait for the VE? Or, buy a LOTR now and lose 1k in value if the ve comes out? Prices aren't climbing at the moment so chances are next year if there is no VE I can just buy a LOTR for about what it is now anyways.

You are correct...I purchased mine in 2004, so it's roughly 12 years young

To answer your question...the age of a machine NEVER enters into my thinking. Only condition. My LOTR is just as beautiful and plays as strong as my AC/DC and MET (both NIB purchases). From my perspective, the PF's and parts only get cheaper over time (since Stern is trying to make more $$).

And your comment on "losing 1k" is also misguided (i.e. not unique to the VE phenomenon). I bought a NIB STLE and decided to sell it after 4-6 months. I lost money (which is pretty common if you sell ANY NIB in under 1 year). If you don't want to "lose money", don't sell. If space is more precious than money (and you don't like the pin), then you take your lumps and move on...

snaroff

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

For me, there's a lot of options out there. LOTR is in the category of would like to own someday, but not at the top of the list. And while I can certainly afford to lose $500, given a choice between two pins that I want, one of which has a reasonable chance of going down in value while the other doesn't, I'll probably pick the one that doesn't seem likely to go down in value.

I hope your crystal ball is right.

The hypocrisy in this discussion is some VE-enthusiasts say the ONLY reason the VE-opponents are against them is fear of losing $$. Here you are (a VE-enthusiast) saying you'll sit on the sideline for fear of losing money

I agree with Rarehero...this is more likely about the "recent pinhead phenomenon" of simply wanting NIB (which is no doubt a simpler transaction). Some collectors (like me) like the "hunt" of finding great examples that great collectors/restorers are selling. I actually PREFER buying from a great/anal collector than buying directly from Stern. I've owned many barely used Sterns (Sopranos, IM, Tron, AP, etc.) that were just as nice as NIB. In fact, nicer in many instances. I've had more tech issues with NIB Sterns than with a pin that was babied/tuned by a collector. No joke, but maybe I've just been lucky...

I can't imagine how boring the hobby of collecting would be if my only transactions were NIB purchases through Stern.

snaroff

2 years later
#287 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

There are 4 in the market place for under 6k right now one of them under 5.

I bought one NIB in 2004 and still have it...most reliable pin in the herd.

I've tried to sell it on 2 separate occasions and had very little interest (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cq-lotr-low-plays-single-owner-5500).

IIRC, Stern has made several runs of LOTR. It's awesome and I'm glad mine never sold!

In any event, my gut says the supply is spot-on and Stern has no reason to build any more (especially since it would require R&D to accommodate the new SPIKE platform).

snaroff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 39.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrlord-of-the-rings-vault-edition-confirmed?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.