(Topic ID: 124589)

LOTR:Lord of the Rings Vault Edition Confirmed?

By Join_The_Cirqus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 292 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by mpdpvdpin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
download (1).jpg
2015-04-17-19-34-45.png
61379852.jpg
download.jpg
my precious.png
HiRes.jpg
27d3f129919791c48a0bd75a02ed8c59.jpg
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.png
k9h93.jpg
shire_detail.jpg
preach.png
photo-24033.gif
FU3087lg.jpg
pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
nfa.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

As soon as I buy a MET led pro is when they will announce the next VE. Sucks because I think I would rather have a LoTR or SM VE over met but only have funds for 1 game NIB. Damn what a problem to have...

Enjoy your Metallica! There will be no LOTR or SM VE. While you're enjoying your Met - just keep your eyes open for a used LOTR or SM...you never know when a cheap one might just fall into your lap. Remember, they made a TON of those games - they're common.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

And OMG once again the people that yell the loudest in all of them are the people that currently own an existing LOTR and are afraid of it losing value if this godforsaken VE rumor comes to pass!
THE HORROR! YOU WILL LOSE MONEY ON THE PINBALL MACHINE YOU OWN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

How many times does this have to be said.... people have every right to own a game & comment on inane speculation without being "value shamed". I'm never selling my LOTR, so I don't even remotely care about it's value. I do care about misleading threads like this one and stupid speculation that keeps people from just going out and enjoying a super-common easy-to-buy game like LOTR. Even if I did sell it, I've enjoyed it for 8 years and wouldn't lose a dime on the $3400 it cost me. If you factor in the LOTR I got for $500 & sold for $2800, I really only have $1100 into my LOTR.

Quoted from Taygeta:

I own a SM and think a VE is possible for it. Any Stern fetching over $5000 on the used market is viable. My machine might drop up to $1000 or more in value if it comes to pass. Do you find me bitching and moaning at every chance to try and convince people that it ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT HAPPEN (and you should *nudge* *nudge* make me an OFFER ON MINE)? No. But I am not in this hobby as an investment or for my livelihood. If you chose to get out of the stock market and bank on pins, I'm sorry.

SMve will not happen. Just look at it logically. IM had about 1000 units made and it was past $6k...heading toward 7. It's also the cheapest game Stern's ever built. Totally made sense to make a new run. SM had probably close to 5000 units made, it's easy to find and $5k isn't that wacky these days. Raimi SM is old news, demand isn't strong enough for the game or that version of the license, and I don't think Sony would renew it anyway, considering the character is about to be rebooted again.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049403/
The notion of BJ2 scares me a bit. It is arguably Burton's best movie, I feel like we could be in for a Star Wars Episode 1 scenario. Corpse Bride was decent, but he has been pretty hit or miss as of late. AiW was hard to watch it was so bad. Charlie and the choc. fact. was bad, although he was just the director there. And Glenn Shadix died. Michael Keaton is amazing though.

Um.....OK

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Better actually to do the fan mod, which cools the coils. The HP coils get weak as well.

They don't on mine. I've had the PBL coils in my game for 8 years and have played many long marathon games and they've never gone weak.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same here. Ever since upgrading to the PBL coils, no issues, even on marathon games.

Yeah, I think the weak coils was an old-software thing. I know plenty of people with regular coils that are strong as hell on LOTR....and like I said, I have the Pinball Life ones, and I've played back to back 45 min games...and the ball still *SNAPS* right up into the ring easily after all that play.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I'm *fairly* certain it's going to be released at some point that's all I know.

No...you DON'T know....but keep trolling every single thread about it for years.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I see for the most part a direct correlation between people who have owned this in the past / or currently own it with the Down votes on page one :
Down votes:
Rarehero currently owns one

I've made this clear multiple times.

Let me make it clear again.

I'm not against VE...I own Iron Man VE. I don't care about my LOTR's value...I only have $1200 into it anyway & never plan on selling it. I care nothing about "collectibility" or "rarity". I want everyone to have the games they want to have. If an LOTR VE *DID* exist, I would applaud it.

My ISSUE is non-stop speculation with no basis in fact, and presented in threads with words like "CONFIRMED" and

Quoted from mrclean:I'm *fairly* certain it's going to be released at some point that's all I know

It's not confirmed. You don't know. LOTR was re-run many many times already. A VE is just that - a re-run...whooptie-doo. The fact is there are ~7000-8000 LOTRs in existence already. They're easy to get. Prices aren't bonkers. Ops dont want them - they had enough of them already. There are a few vocal Pinsiders who only want NIB *EVERYTHING*....that doesn't mean there's a huge demand. Re-licensing LOTR is likely very expensive, and the demand doesn't justify a small run.

Iron Man had no supply, ops/tournaments/collectors wanted it. Stern already had ongoing contracts with Marvel, so the licensing worked out for a small run.

So there you go. I hope my position is clear. I'm not a value-whore. I'm logical. If LOTR VE existed, I would not care....but there is no logical reason to think it will exist. If it does one day, congrats...but do we really need 100 threads about it?

Go find a nice LOTR and enjoy it today.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

LotR is old hat to them, that is why. It is new hat to us, we've never owned one, we've probably only gotten to play the real deal just a few dozen times or so.

Every game that isn't in production right now is "old hat". Just because you decide you want one now doesn't mean you're entitled to a brand new one off the line. This is a recent pinhead phenomenon. "I missed it new, so I want it new, NOW!". Nah, how about do what all of us do/did in this hobby...hunt one down! They exist and they're out there. Can't find one instantly? Wah wah, keep looking and you'll find one eventually.

Quoted from thedefog:

so I don't see what everyone is so upset about VE talk.

Upset? No. Annoyed by the entitlement and never ending speculation? Yes.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

AS a potential buyer here is my problem. Your HUO could be up to 12 years old. Now, I really like LOTR, owned the same exact machine twice in fact. I want another, but here is the kicker.
12 year old machine for 5.5k or nib stern for 4400? Metallica is an excellent game. I can also get a lightly used ACDC for that matter, also an amazing game. Both of which are newer and cheaper.

Example of the entitlement I was speaking of. Sometimes old out of production games are pricey. Wah wah wah. Want a Scared Stiff? Pay $5-6k or don't own one. They're not gonna remake it. Remake candidates are VERY slim.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Is there much of a difference between a "VE" and any other time Stern has rerun a machine?

Demand & time.

Their contracts are generally a 3 year window, and you usually see the re-runs within those 3 years. True - TSPP and LOTR went beyond that and relicensed for new runs years later....but the demand was clear and thousands more games were made during those re-runs. Is there TRULY demand for at least 500 more LOTR, or is it just a few Pinsiders who want something new because they "missed out"? I don't think the demand is truly there, especially with such abundant supply available.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

But Stern doesn't own the rights to those games. Not to beat a dead horse, but what Stern games other than LOTR do you see as viable candidates for VE treatment? Maybe Stern's not going to make any more VEs at all, but if you concede that there's a list of possible remake candidates at Stern, LOTR has to be at the top.

Probably Tron? Other than that....yeah...dunno. I mean, I don't want to keep repeating myself....but while LOTR (and TSPP) are some of their best games, they're also the ones they made the most of. If the licensing costs worked out and Stern knew they could sell 500-1000 of them, yes - it would happen. However, I've heard the licensing costs are prohibitive for a small run this time around...and I'm still not convinced the demand is truly there despite a few very vocal people on Pinside.

Honestly, I think when Stern said more VE's to come, they didn't mean it was imminent...I think they were just covering their butts against people crying foul who might have just bought an IM for $7k. They were saying "If it wasn't an LE, it's fair game for future productions....doesn't mean anything or everything will be remade...but if it is, you can't be pissed about it". However, as we've seen - the community took it as "THE REMAKES ARE COMING!!!! THE REMAKES ARE COMING!!!! Don't buy any old Sterns! New ones are coming!!!!"

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I never really noticed any audio quality issues either, then again, it wasn't in my home when I played it.

There are no "issues" really - it's just Whitestar. Doesn't sound as crisp and clear as B/W DCS, WPC'95, or SAM games. That being said, it's probably the best sound package of a Whitestar game ever...all of the music compositions are well done and exciting, sound FX are awesome, and there are tons of voice clips - all well integrated for an amazing gameplay experience.

2 years later
#219 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Any chance this is still happening?

It happened already. You missed it. You'll never be able to find a LOTR now. Bummer, bro!

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Haha too bad. My life will never be complete now.

I know, I'm sorry man...if there were only thousands of LOTRs out there already, you might be able to get one!!!

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It'll happen some day if they can figure out the licensing, the demand is clearly there. But Rarehero's right that if you want one anytime soon, you should probably just buy a used one, could be a while until they get around to it.

Based on their recent QC, I'd rather have an original I could inspect first and see how it has handled the past decade. I have a 2005 LOTR and it's practically been bulletproof since I shopped it out (2008 I think).

Personally, I don't think the demand is there to warrant the relicensing costs. There are a few vocal forum peeps who are afraid of used games for some reason...but I think most people who want a LOTR are fine just going out and finding one, and you CAN find them.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

maybe a Ralph Bakshi LOTR retheme

Oh vomit. That would never happen...plus not sure why anyone would want that. One of the things that makes LOTR so great is its use of the movie assets...music, voices, scenarios. Everything about Bakshi's sucks, and it's not even the complete trilogy. Ugh. Gah...F that lol

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I remember from the last five times we had this conversation! I don't know why you think relicensing would be any more costly here than for the other properties Stern has made/remade. The obvious potential issue is if something's expired with the movie license and they had to get the Tolkien estate involved in any way they're presumably hosed, since the estate hates the movies and video games, and would presumably hate the pinball if they were aware of it. And then there's image rights (which could work out nicely IMO if they shifted over to new hand-drawn art).
Like it or not, well more than "a few" people would be interested in a LOTR VE, and from the many, many threads of this kind LOTR is clearly the top one or two game people want to see Stern re-make. And of course from Stern's perspective the logic behind making a VE is not the rarity of the game, but the price point. If used games are selling for $5k and there are 5,000+ of them out there, it seems safe to assume they could sell hundreds of new games at $6k. If I'm Stern, I'd follow that logic rather than rushing out to remake a $2-3k game like 24 or CSI just because they're rare.
It's inarguable that nice LOTRs can be purchased for ~$5k right now. So anyone that wants one today can get one. Of course the same could have been said for Spiderman, and somehow Stern remade that one...

Spider-Man's totally different. First, they couldn't get the movie rights again so they changed it to Ultimate comics. They had to redo all the art, toys, and voices...and they charged a Premium price for it. Spidey was selling for A LOT more than $5k before the VE was announced...not to mention the Black-Suit LE.

There is no "alternate LOTR" to re-skin the game as...no one wants Bakshi. From what I've heard, the licensor wants a shit ton to relicense...and for the amount of games they'd likely sell, it's not worth it. And remember - lower runs = parts more expensive. Look at LOTR's parts vs. current games. Much higher BOM. Plus they'd have to port the game from Whitestar to SAM or SPIKE, redesign it for LED. It just doesn't financially make sense. Nor should any pinball fan be upset about this because THEY'RE EASY TO GET lol.

If you were upset at my thoughts on this years ago and still are....I dunno what to tell you. Here we are years later and it still hasn't been remade. I've been playing mine. If you want an LOTR, just go get one and play it. Waiting won't make it magically appear new in a box....and again - I dunno why anyone would want an NIB Stern these days anyway.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

I've been waiting for a LOTR VE for a couple years. It's a pin my whole family wanted and wanted as a NIB.
Meanwhile, time passed, and we continued to not own a pin we all really wanted.
I finally wised up. The HUO one I bought arrives in a few days and will be my wife's Mother's Day gift from our boys.
No more waiting. No more wishing. I say if folks want their 'precious' just go grab one.
Like folks have been saying, they're plentiful.

Nice! Congrats! Enjoy!

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Just got into it this year.

A very satisfying part of the hobby (IMO) is finding a used and dirty game and shopping it out yourself. You get a game cheaper & learn a lot too! Now, that's way harder these days since projects are harder to find these days - but since LOTR is a "newer" game and they made a lot - it's a game you could reasonably expect to find from an arcade operator, on Craigslist, at an auction, etc.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Who's upset? Your arguments are unpersuasive but I'm not losing any sleep over it. As you say, they haven't remade it yet, and maybe they never will. But if Stern's going to keep making VEs at all, there simply aren't many titles that would make financial sense to reproduce before LOTR (again, unless the licensing proves impossible due to Tolkien estate or image rights).

I apologize for saying anything. I really don't care.

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If Stern were to make these for $6k (did some shrooms earlier today), they'd probably sell a few thousand of them.

Funny how the LE at $5000 could barely move 250. Did they ever make all 500? I remember hearing a few people say they stopped after the first batch of 250...but not sure if that ended up being true.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

That was years ago, today, at $5000 they would sell thousands and you know it.

Thousands? C'mon. Peeps always forget how many of these were made. There are enough out there to satiate demand. There are a few feet stompers who only want new or nothing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrlord-of-the-rings-vault-edition-confirmed?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.