(Topic ID: 124589)

LOTR:Lord of the Rings Vault Edition Confirmed?

By Join_The_Cirqus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 292 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by mpdpvdpin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
download (1).jpg
2015-04-17-19-34-45.png
61379852.jpg
download.jpg
my precious.png
HiRes.jpg
27d3f129919791c48a0bd75a02ed8c59.jpg
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.png
k9h93.jpg
shire_detail.jpg
preach.png
photo-24033.gif
FU3087lg.jpg
pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
nfa.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My interest in a VE LOTR vanished when Stern confirmed they wouldn't port it over to modern systems, no updated sound, no point.

When did they confirm this?

#74 9 years ago

Bummer. I guess there's always the possibility they could modify Whitestar in some way, but no improvement to sound will cost them some sales I'd think (though maybe Stern can spin it as protecting the interests of LE buyers by not making the VE inarguably better).

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

not gonna happen, fact.

The only fact is that no one knows for certain if LOTR VE will happen. Even if Gary said tomorrow that they're never making one, given past his past statements on Iron Man that could hardly be taken as firm evidence that the game will never be remade.

Anyone making definitive statements one way or the other at this point is just blowing smoke.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

there are reasons its a FACT that many may not be aware of.
I don't waste time posting speculations.

But you posted an unsupported assertion. Unless you're ready to share the facts that have convinced you that Stern will never, ever remake LOTR, how is your post advancing the conversation any more than someone that simply says "LOTR VE will definitely be Stern's next game"?

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is there TRULY demand for at least 500 more LOTR, or is it just a few Pinsiders who want something new because they "missed out"? I don't think the demand is truly there, especially with such abundant supply available.

I disagree on supply/demand -- there has been far more interest shown in LOTR than in any other potential remake by Stern. And clearly even with the relatively massive supply, there's sufficient demand to keep prices in the $5k neighborhood.

If your take is that we won't be seeing any VEs in the next few years because there isn't a game out there that would make financial sense for Stern to run as a VE at this point, you may be right. But if you're saying that Stern could make more VEs sometime in the next few years but LOTR is unlikely to be among them, which titles do you think would sell better? Can you honestly say there's a big pool of games that would have greater demand at ~ $5k to $6k?

Of course licensing could kill LOTR VE. But the same can be said for Tron, POTC, and BBH. Without specific inside information, licensing speculation doesn't strike me as a great reason to nix any given title as a potential VE.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Upset? No. Annoyed by the entitlement and never ending speculation? Yes.

"Entitlement"? Stern told us in a press release that we should "Look for future Stern Vault Editions" and people are lobbying for games they'd like to see get the VE treatment. Seems reasonable enough to me.

I agree that there's been "never ending speculation" though and at the least, it'd be great if people posted in the old "LOTR VE" threads instead of creating new ones.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Example of the entitlement I was speaking of. Sometimes old out of production games are pricey. Wah wah wah. Want a Scared Stiff? Pay $5-6k or don't own one. They're not gonna remake it. Remake candidates are VERY slim.

Scared Stiff is unlikely to be remade anytime soon, at least in part because PPS hold the rights to a good number of other games that would likely sell better as remakes (AFM, MB, BBB and CC to name a few). You'd be nuts to remake Scare Stiff if you could be remaking AFM instead.

But Stern doesn't own the rights to those games. Not to beat a dead horse, but what Stern games other than LOTR do you see as viable candidates for VE treatment? Maybe Stern's not going to make any more VEs at all, but if you concede that there's a list of possible remake candidates at Stern, LOTR has to be at the top.

That said, it would be exciting if Stern bought the rights from PPS to remake some of the old B/W classics as VEs. Since they're already doing the assembly and all ...

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

LOTRVE is not happening. Even if 50 people promise to buy it.

Source for your unqualified statement? Otherwise you're just blowing smoke, same as the guys saying "LOTR VE is next."

2 years later
#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know, I'm sorry man...if there were only thousands of LOTRs out there already, you might be able to get one!!!

Don't stop now, you're on fire!

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Yea I know but it would be nice to get a new one that I could take of from the start. Most of the ones that show up here are close to the NIB price games these day.

It'll happen some day if they can figure out the licensing, the demand is clearly there. But Rarehero's right that if you want one anytime soon, you should probably just buy a used one, could be a while until they get around to it.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Personally, I don't think the demand is there to warrant the relicensing costs. There are a few vocal forum peeps who are afraid of used games for some reason...but I think most people who want a LOTR are fine just going out and finding one, and you CAN find them.

I remember from the last five times we had this conversation! I don't know why you think relicensing would be any more costly here than for the other properties Stern has made/remade. The obvious potential issue is if something's expired with the movie license and they had to get the Tolkien estate involved in any way they're presumably hosed, since the estate hates the movies and video games, and would presumably hate the pinball if they were aware of it. And then there's image rights (which could work out nicely IMO if they shifted over to new hand-drawn art).

Like it or not, well more than "a few" people would be interested in a LOTR VE, and from the many, many threads of this kind LOTR is clearly the top one or two game people want to see Stern re-make. And of course from Stern's perspective the logic behind making a VE is not the rarity of the game, but the price point. If used games are selling for $5k and there are 5,000+ of them out there, it seems safe to assume they could sell hundreds of new games at $6k. If I'm Stern, I'd follow that logic rather than rushing out to remake a $2-3k game like 24 or CSI just because they're rare.

It's inarguable that nice LOTRs can be purchased for ~$5k right now. So anyone that wants one today can get one. Of course the same could have been said for Spiderman, and somehow Stern remade that one...

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you were upset at my thoughts on this years ago and still are....I dunno what to tell you. Here we are years later and it still hasn't been remade. I've been playing mine. If you want an LOTR, just go get one and play it. Waiting won't make it magically appear new in a box....and again - I dunno why anyone would want an NIB Stern these days anyway.

Who's upset? Your arguments are unpersuasive but I'm not losing any sleep over it. As you say, they haven't remade it yet, and maybe they never will. But if Stern's going to keep making VEs at all, there simply aren't many titles that would make financial sense to reproduce before LOTR (again, unless the licensing proves impossible due to Tolkien estate or image rights).

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I apologize for saying anything. I really don't care.

No need to apologize! I'm not personally invested either (though I might still buy an LOTR VE if they did it right), we're just talking pinball here.

#246 6 years ago

This guy gets it.

#251 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I remember this rumor. I had to consider the rumored VE as I was buying my second copy of LOTR. Thank goodness I picked buying a HUO copy that plays incredibly.

Maybe by the time you're ready to buy a third LOTR the option will be there ...

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thousands? C'mon. Peeps always forget how many of these were made. There are enough out there to satiate demand. There are a few feet stompers who only want new or nothing.

Production numbers matter only in relation to demand, my friend. By your argument TZ and Addams should be the two cheapest games on the market. Yet somehow they and LOTR (a comparative rarity) are priced about the same.

You may view a $5k pricepoint for a used pin as representative of "satiated" demand. But that's pretty high for a used pin. Instead I'd say that LOTR is a very popular game, with high pricing compared to other games of its era despite a comparatively large run.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Funny how the LE at $5000 could barely move 250. Did they ever make all 500? I remember hearing a few people say they stopped after the first batch of 250...but not sure if that ended up being true.

Pin market is very much different today than in 2009. Since we're making silly arguments though, I'll blame this one on the dick beard.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So a stock HUO LOTR is $5000-$5200 and will take a little to sell and stock ACDC Prem is like $7200-$7400, but will sell faster. Why would it make sense to do a LOTR VE again?

And the Luci ed. is apparently $16,000 - why would Stern make anything else?!?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-nib-luci-acdc-premiumle

5 months later
#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody know if Stern still has these licenses? The Tolkien estate in particular is notorious for being very protective, and only issuing very short term licenses for things like
Movie rights...
Although with the new tv show in the works, stern would be nuts not to pony up the dough (assuming they would even need to do so)

The Tolkien estate would actually never license movies and video games at all, if JRR hadn't sold those rights off in the 60s. The estate (his kids) HATE the Peter Jackson movies (and its hard to disagree with them on Hobbit, at least). Luckily the Saul Zaentz Company is much looser with the rights.

So the real question is can Stern affordably reup with New Line or whoever, and will there be image likeness issues requiring deals with all the pictured actors (that alone would seem like a deal killer, or at least necessitate a whole new art package). But if that all works out, LOTR VE seems like an easy win for Stern.

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern has no reason to build any more (especially since it would require R&D to accommodate the new SPIKE platform).
snaroff

Per Gary’s earlier comments, no plan for any Vault editions to be transferred to Spike - they’ll be made on their original platforms.

People always say there are too many LOTRs out there to justify a remake. But if I’m Stern, I’d figure if routed games are going for $5k and there are tons out there, I can sell a good number of NIB remakes at $6.5k. Opposite situation from a game like CC, where so much of it’s value is it’s rarity. LOTR is closer to TZ and TAF, which are expensive despite huge supply because they’re very popular.

Besides TRON, there’s just not another obvious remake candidate other than LOTR. Doesn’t mean they’ll work out the licensing of course.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 25.00
$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrlord-of-the-rings-vault-edition-confirmed?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.