(Topic ID: 124589)

LOTR:Lord of the Rings Vault Edition Confirmed?

By Join_The_Cirqus

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zdoor
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (1).jpg
2015-04-17-19-34-45.png
61379852.jpg
download.jpg
my precious.png
HiRes.jpg
27d3f129919791c48a0bd75a02ed8c59.jpg
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.png
k9h93.jpg
shire_detail.jpg
preach.png
photo-24033.gif
FU3087lg.jpg
pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
nfa.jpg
FU2279lg.jpg

There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I remember this rumor. I had to consider the rumored VE as I was buying my second copy of LOTR. Thank goodness I picked buying a HUO copy that plays incredibly.

Maybe by the time you're ready to buy a third LOTR the option will be there ...

#252 2 years ago

I missed my second LOTR so much I bought it back. That probably only counts as two though.

If Stern were to make these for $6k (did some shrooms earlier today), they'd probably sell a few thousand of them. Instead they would price them more like $8.5k and sell less than 500. Still lots of money to be made after paying for licensing, as game and software are designed. Would use whitestar boards and people will say it's a money grab.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If Stern were to make these for $6k (did some shrooms earlier today), they'd probably sell a few thousand of them.

Funny how the LE at $5000 could barely move 250. Did they ever make all 500? I remember hearing a few people say they stopped after the first batch of 250...but not sure if that ended up being true.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Funny how the LE at $5000 could barely move 250. Did they ever make all 500? I remember hearing a few people say they stopped after the first batch of 250...but not sure if that ended up being true.

That was years ago, today, at $5000 they would sell thousands and you know it.

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

That was years ago, today, at $5000 they would sell thousands and you know it.

Thousands? C'mon. Peeps always forget how many of these were made. There are enough out there to satiate demand. There are a few feet stompers who only want new or nothing.

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thousands? C'mon. Peeps always forget how many of these were made. There are enough out there to satiate demand. There are a few feet stompers who only want new or nothing.

Production numbers matter only in relation to demand, my friend. By your argument TZ and Addams should be the two cheapest games on the market. Yet somehow they and LOTR (a comparative rarity) are priced about the same.

You may view a $5k pricepoint for a used pin as representative of "satiated" demand. But that's pretty high for a used pin. Instead I'd say that LOTR is a very popular game, with high pricing compared to other games of its era despite a comparatively large run.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Pin market is very much different today than in 2009. Since we're making silly arguments though, I'll blame this one on the dick beard.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Production numbers matter only in relation to demand, my friend. By your argument TZ and Addams should be the two cheapest games on the market. Yet somehow they and LOTR (a comparative rarity) are priced about the same.
You may view a $5k pricepoint for a used pin as representative of "satiated" demand. But that's pretty high for a used pin. Instead I'd say that LOTR is a very popular game, with high pricing compared to other games of its era despite a comparatively large run.

Pin market is very much different today than in 2009. Since we're making silly arguments though, I'll blame this one on the dick beard.

Just look at the prices on LOTR in the past 3 years. My first attempt at buying a HUO 3 years ago and they were going for $4000. Had to save up the money and and prices rises just a little to $4500. Now they are running about $5500. So supply is less then demand or they would be the same as Austin Powers.

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Any chance this is still happening?

Yes, Stern is still working on LCD integration though.

#259 2 years ago

So a stock HUO LOTR is $5000-$5200 and will take a little to sell and stock ACDC Prem is like $7200-$7400, but will sell faster. Why would it make sense to do a LOTR VE again?

#260 2 years ago

They will probably do one someday, but prices would have to go up higher first, other titles like tron would make more sense

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So a stock HUO LOTR is $5000-$5200 and will take a little to sell and stock ACDC Prem is like $7200-$7400, but will sell faster. Why would it make sense to do a LOTR VE again?

Same reason they made Spiderman again? To make money....yes, every American family owns a Lord of the Rings, but....when the time comes, a new Lord of the Rings with tried and tested code, new high def art package and color display will bring the dollars in on what is essentially an old game.

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

I'd say LOTR VE is definitely coming. I'd expect much better artwork (even resolution-wise) and much improved sound (it's been done before on VEs), which will get lots of people lining up. Even more could come (a full LCD rework would be awesome). The question is when; it could be soon but it could just as easily be be 5-10 years down the line.
I wouldn't wait for the VE if a good LOTR came up reasonably locally and I had the cash, but I'd also probably upgrade to a VE if I liked what I saw.

better sound can be done with them moving to a newer hardware then the old game. As long they have the source sound files. Now porting it to newer hardware can be a lot of work even with the source code.

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

And the Luci ed. is apparently $16,000 - why would Stern make anything else?!?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-nib-luci-acdc-premiumle

5 months later
#264 1 year ago

There are suddenly many LOTR pinballs for sale, what happened, is there a new rumor?

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from Bumper:

There are suddenly many LOTR pinballs for sale, what happened, is there a new rumor?

I think people are just selling off their games right now to make room for all the new titles coming out. See this thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-hobbits-fs-can%e2%80%99t-be-that-bad-right/page/2#post-4062444

#266 1 year ago

VE could be cool with upgrades like an lcd and better sound.

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I think LOTR and TRON are on the short list of VE possibilities.

#268 1 year ago

I’m down with both.

#269 1 year ago

If Stern:

1. Uses movie clips on an LCD
2. Improve the decals resolution (on PF and cabinet)
3. Obviously use LEDs
4. Improve the sound digital assets (improved bit rate) and speakers

LOTR and/or TRON VE would be very desirable (and they already are way up there)

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If Stern:
3. Obviously use LEDs

If these things done. I would sell my LOTR just to buy the VE. Actual video of the movies is a must.

#271 1 year ago

I sold mine because when the shit hits the fan you sell the best to survive.

#272 1 year ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I sold mine because when the shit hits the fan you sell the best to survive.

What does that mean lol?

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If Stern:
3. Obviously use LEDs

The only issue with this is that this would go against what Gary has said in the past which is (and I'm paraphrasing), "If we release a vault edition game, we're leave it on the old system (WhiteStar, etc) than completely reprogramming it to the new SPIKE system."

Although I would buy a new LOTR IMMEDIATELY, I would imagine there are too many other IPs that they are interested in building first.

#274 1 year ago

You can easily predict which Stern machines will be VE by looking at which ones are selling for the most over the original retail price . I did call ACDC last year, and i would bet that the next 2 will be Tron, and LOTR. Possibly POTC down the road . After those I can't really come up with any others that are in need of being reproduced ..

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny10:

Possibly POTC down the road

Seriously? Don't you think JJP has exclusive pinball rights to POTC now? I can't believe they would invest in that franchise without a guarantee Stern couldn't produce more.

Not sure who owns the Tolkien rights, but odds are the same agreement exists to block LOTR VEs too.

#276 1 year ago

Maybe build in color DMD and sound at higher bit rates with they still have the source sound files. Can be done with some kind of emulation system.

Now to port that old code to a newer board set will take some work or to write up an emulation wrapper as well.

LOTR used the old CPUs with a new sound chip (needed as the BSMT2000 chips where old at the time and out of print) (SAM came later was needed as the chips getting hard to source)

The game still had midi based chip tune music. and the display had it's own board with an cpu and rom chip.

#277 1 year ago

Waiting, want one Gary!

#278 1 year ago

I agree this and Tron need to be VE's. People are just asking waaay to much for them currently. You do a remake of either of these at pro prices and I'd have to get Tron fo sho.

#279 1 year ago

I can see getting both.

#280 1 year ago

I can see getting both.

Agreed. One each please.

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

I agree this and Tron need to be VE's. People are just asking waaay to much for them currently. You do a remake of either of these at pro prices and I'd have to get Tron fo sho.

I agree, it's too expensive (I say that as an owner who has no intention of selling). Because of that, they will definitely do a VE of Tron. I'd expect minor upgrades (LED), the metal backbox, and slightly better decals. I really doubt they would do ramp lights or things like Daft Punk multiball. And they will sell a few hundred of them.

As for LOTR, if they do that, it will be at a premium price level (like SMVE). That game just has too much going on to release at the Pro price level.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I agree, it's too expensive (I say that as an owner who has no intention of selling). Because of that, they will definitely do a VE of Tron. I'd expect minor upgrades (LED), the metal backbox, and slightly better decals. I really doubt they would do ramp lights or things like Daft Punk multiball. And they will sell a few hundred of them.
As for LOTR, if they do that, it will be at a premium price level (like SMVE). That game just has too much going on to release at the Pro price level.

Anybody know if Stern still has these licenses? The Tolkien estate in particular is notorious for being very protective, and only issuing very short term licenses for things like
Movie rights...

Although with the new tv show in the works, stern would be nuts not to pony up the dough (assuming they would even need to do so)

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody know if Stern still has these licenses? The Tolkien estate in particular is notorious for being very protective, and only issuing very short term licenses for things like
Movie rights...
Although with the new tv show in the works, stern would be nuts not to pony up the dough (assuming they would even need to do so)

The Tolkien estate would actually never license movies and video games at all, if JRR hadn't sold those rights off in the 60s. The estate (his kids) HATE the Peter Jackson movies (and its hard to disagree with them on Hobbit, at least). Luckily the Saul Zaentz Company is much looser with the rights.

So the real question is can Stern affordably reup with New Line or whoever, and will there be image likeness issues requiring deals with all the pictured actors (that alone would seem like a deal killer, or at least necessitate a whole new art package). But if that all works out, LOTR VE seems like an easy win for Stern.

#284 1 year ago

If all the movies are licensed by Zaentz then this won't be possible until JJP hobbit contract is over.

Why is at an easy win? LOTRs are selling for low 5s. Why would Stern be interested in risking a vault edition on a low margin machine?

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

If all the movies are licensed by Zaentz then this won't be possible until JJP hobbit contract is over.
Why is at an easy win? LOTRs are selling for low 5s. Why would Stern be interested in risking a vault edition on a low margin machine?

Uh... can you send me a link to a LOTR for 5k?

#286 1 year ago

There are 4 in the market place for under 6k right now one of them under 5.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

There are 4 in the market place for under 6k right now one of them under 5.

I bought one NIB in 2004 and still have it...most reliable pin in the herd.

I've tried to sell it on 2 separate occasions and had very little interest (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cq-lotr-low-plays-single-owner-5500).

IIRC, Stern has made several runs of LOTR. It's awesome and I'm glad mine never sold!

In any event, my gut says the supply is spot-on and Stern has no reason to build any more (especially since it would require R&D to accommodate the new SPIKE platform).

snaroff

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern has no reason to build any more (especially since it would require R&D to accommodate the new SPIKE platform).
snaroff

Per Gary’s earlier comments, no plan for any Vault editions to be transferred to Spike - they’ll be made on their original platforms.

People always say there are too many LOTRs out there to justify a remake. But if I’m Stern, I’d figure if routed games are going for $5k and there are tons out there, I can sell a good number of NIB remakes at $6.5k. Opposite situation from a game like CC, where so much of it’s value is it’s rarity. LOTR is closer to TZ and TAF, which are expensive despite huge supply because they’re very popular.

Besides TRON, there’s just not another obvious remake candidate other than LOTR. Doesn’t mean they’ll work out the licensing of course.

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I bought one NIB in 2004 and still have it...most reliable pin in the herd.
I've tried to sell it on 2 separate occasions and had very little interest (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cq-lotr-low-plays-single-owner-5500).
IIRC, Stern has made several runs of LOTR. It's awesome and I'm glad mine never sold!
In any event, my gut says the supply is spot-on and Stern has no reason to build any more (especially since it would require R&D to accommodate the new SPIKE platform).
snaroff

This is a 5k pin and if priced too much higher, they simply don't move. The vocal minority has been shouting for a VE for years now, but I seriously doubt most would pony up the 7k Stern likely will charge for one. Especially when they can easily find originals in the 5k range. The only way I see success for a VE here, is if they change it to an animated version with the LCD and not just remake the original. Then it would at least stand on its own vs competing against much lower priced HUO originals.

#290 1 year ago

IF the price was 7k, IMO opinion it would only sell on the a newer platform with better sound and video. If they remake it on whitestar, I'd be surprised if it sold well. But of course I've been wrong before...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside