(Topic ID: 124589)

LOTR:Lord of the Rings Vault Edition Confirmed?

By Join_The_Cirqus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 292 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by mpdpvdpin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
download (1).jpg
2015-04-17-19-34-45.png
61379852.jpg
download.jpg
my precious.png
HiRes.jpg
27d3f129919791c48a0bd75a02ed8c59.jpg
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.png
k9h93.jpg
shire_detail.jpg
preach.png
photo-24033.gif
FU3087lg.jpg
pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
nfa.jpg
There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

And OMG once again the people that yell the loudest in all of them are the people that currently own an existing LOTR and are afraid of it losing value if this godforsaken VE rumor comes to pass!
THE HORROR! YOU WILL LOSE MONEY ON THE PINBALL MACHINE YOU OWN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!
I own a SM and think a VE is possible for it. Any Stern fetching over $5000 on the used market is viable. My machine might drop up to $1000 or more in value if it comes to pass. Do you find me bitching and moaning at every chance to try and convince people that it ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT HAPPEN (and you should *nudge* *nudge* make me an OFFER ON MINE)? No. But I am not in this hobby as an investment or for my livelihood. If you chose to get out of the stock market and bank on pins, I'm sorry.

My OMG has nothing to do with losing money. I'm not into pinball for money. My entire collection could go to 0 and it wouldn't effect my lifestyle one bit.

My OMG is because it's misguided and folks that focus so much attention on it are misguided. I'd much rather see Stern innovate rather than regurgitate.

Occasionally, I think doing another run is a good thing. For example, I think IM was totally justified because the supply was really too small. It bummed me out that I couldn't move my modded out IM, however I just decided to keep it (which was a good thing in retrospect since I play it often).

LOTR doesn't need another run. Period.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

LOTR doesn't need another run. Period.

My interest in a VE LOTR vanished when Stern confirmed they wouldn't port it over to modern systems, no updated sound, no point.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

there's one of these on top of the pile in the back:

FU2279lg.jpg

Good catch. It also looks like Game of thrones Cersei lannister is directly below that one, and a white walker is at the bottom center.

Edit: I can't tell for sure if that is Cersei or another character. But I'm fairly sure that's a white walker.

Edit2: I actually think it's Danaerys.

pop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpgpop-game-of-thrones-white-walker-4.jpg
FU3087lg.jpgFU3087lg.jpg

#54 9 years ago

The clues point to Kiss and GOT, just like some speculate..........

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My interest in a VE LOTR vanished when Stern confirmed they wouldn't port it over to modern systems, no updated sound, no point.

When did they confirm this?

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Gary Stern did back at TPF.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Gary Stern said it at TPF.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-tpf-talking-points

D'oh! Snurdley beat me to it.

#59 9 years ago

too funny

STERN know how to blow us here
only need to post a picture with few items on it, and we're all making our own story and speculation
lets admit, for that, they are great, as in the same time, its making the buzz with nothing more than 1 single picture...

#60 9 years ago

Did'nt Gary also say Ironman would never be rerun?
If there is market demand and money to be made, anything in Sterns vault except the LE pin versions, could go back on the line.

#61 9 years ago

Gary will do in the end whatever makes him money. Again, after WWE and BJM, anything is possible, but I would not hold out hope for either of these.

#62 9 years ago

While these speculation threads have been running, I actually did a temporary trade of my IM to a mate and took in his LOTR for two months. I thought I was desperate to get my LOTR back. Probably only put 20 games on it while it was here, lol. DTR about 5 times, TABA once. That'll do for a while. Gone again. Yes, it is awesome. Yes, new sound (now not happening) would have been tempting, but the iron has now gone cold again for me. Next!

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Did'nt Gary also say Ironman would never be rerun?
If there is market demand and money to be made, anything in Sterns vault except the LE pin versions, could go back on the line.

Just for clarification, we're talking about Gary's statement at TPF that said (paraphrased), "If a Vault Edition candidate was originally SAM/Whitestar - it will be remade as SAM/Whitestar. It will NOT be converted to Spike."

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

"If a Vault Edition candidate was originally SAM/Whitestar - it will be remade as SAM/Whitestar. It will NOT be converted to Spike."

I wondered why they would do this and not port it over to their new system, granted a larger pcb fab would probably be more expensive than a port job. I suppose it means they're sitting on a lot of old boards and want to use them up. Good way to clear out old inventory if that is the case.

#65 9 years ago

Only thing I'd want from a VE is coils that won't get weak throughout the game.

#66 9 years ago

Best pin ever!

#67 9 years ago

Love the CSI going on in every one of these things.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Only thing I'd want from a VE is coils that won't get weak throughout the game.

You'd only get that if they switched to the new system they have made for WWE, which will not happen, as they would have to completely redo the code.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You'd only get that if they switched to the new system they have made for WWE, which will not happen, as they would have to completely redo the code.

Ah OK - I didn't know that had an impact. New PBL coils I guess!

#70 9 years ago

Wait?!!?!

I thought no one looked at Stern's FB page becuase of their draconian policy of removing defamatory posts?

Everyone PLEASE STOP looking at these pictures! You're screwing up the "protest."

<insert favorite eyeroll emoticon of your choice>

#71 9 years ago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049403/
The notion of BJ2 scares me a bit. It is arguably Burton's best movie, I feel like we could be in for a Star Wars Episode 1 scenario. Corpse Bride was decent, but he has been pretty hit or miss as of late. AiW was hard to watch it was so bad. Charlie and the choc. fact. was bad, although he was just the director there. And Glenn Shadix died. Michael Keaton is amazing though.

#72 9 years ago

Cost of the license , toys, not likely to happen. Bought a great one Sat.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049403/
The notion of BJ2 scares me a bit. It is arguably Burton's best movie, I feel like we could be in for a Star Wars Episode 1 scenario. Corpse Bride was decent, but he has been pretty hit or miss as of late. AiW was hard to watch it was so bad. Charlie and the choc. fact. was bad, although he was just the director there. And Glenn Shadix died. Michael Keaton is amazing though.

Um.....OK

#74 9 years ago

Bummer. I guess there's always the possibility they could modify Whitestar in some way, but no improvement to sound will cost them some sales I'd think (though maybe Stern can spin it as protecting the interests of LE buyers by not making the VE inarguably better).

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Bummer. I guess there's always the possibility they could modify Whitestar in some way, but no improvement to sound will cost them some sales I'd think (though maybe Stern can spin it as protecting the interests of LE buyers by not making the VE inarguably better).

I don't think stern gives two shakes about protecting LE Buyer's. They sold a limited edition years ago. That doesn't stop them from selling another edition if they so chose.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Ah OK - I didn't know that had an impact. New PBL coils I guess!

Better actually to do the fan mod, which cools the coils. The HP coils get weak as well.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Better actually to do the fan mod, which cools the coils. The HP coils get weak as well.

Fair enough. If the odds are in my favor, that's the route I'll probably consider!

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

They don't on mine. I've had the PBL coils in my game for 8 years and have played many long marathon games and they've never gone weak.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't on mine. I've had the PBL coils in my game for 8 years and have played many long marathon games and they've never gone weak.

Same here. Ever since upgrading to the PBL coils, no issues, even on marathon games.

#80 9 years ago

Gary just confirmed this.
photo-24033.gifphoto-24033.gif
"meow"
Only it was the wrong Gary.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same here. Ever since upgrading to the PBL coils, no issues, even on marathon games.

Yeah, I think the weak coils was an old-software thing. I know plenty of people with regular coils that are strong as hell on LOTR....and like I said, I have the Pinball Life ones, and I've played back to back 45 min games...and the ball still *SNAPS* right up into the ring easily after all that play.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Mine don't get weak per say, but definitely are not as powerful as when you first start out. I have the PBL upgrades, and mine is an LE. I even have the Tower Hobby heatsinks some recommended on RGP a while back on mine. Again, I can still play it no prob, but it's not the same as when first flipped, and that annoys me.

I'm doing the fan mod one of these days.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

not gonna happen, fact.

The only fact is that no one knows for certain if LOTR VE will happen. Even if Gary said tomorrow that they're never making one, given past his past statements on Iron Man that could hardly be taken as firm evidence that the game will never be remade.

Anyone making definitive statements one way or the other at this point is just blowing smoke.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The only fact is that no one knows for certain if LOTR VE will happen. Even if Gary said tomorrow that they're never making one, given past his past statements on Iron Man that could hardly be taken as firm evidence that the game will never be remade.
Anyone making definitive statements one way or the other at this point is just blowing smoke.

preach.pngpreach.png

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I think the weak coils was an old-software thing. I know plenty of people with regular coils that are strong as hell on LOTR....and like I said, I have the Pinball Life ones, and I've played back to back 45 min games...and the ball still *SNAPS* right up into the ring easily after all that play.

Agreed, I think the software fixed the problem. I have the original coils in mine and a friend made it to Valinor, so I would say they are fine.

I have played a machine with the Pinball Life coils and the game seemed a little easier to me because the ramp shots didn't need to be as precise for the ball to make it all the way up.

#86 9 years ago

Now that I have just purchased a LOTR, I have to believe that the VE announcement is imminent. Because that's just how things happen.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from phuping:

Now that I have just purchased a LOTR, I have to believe that the VE announcement is imminent. Because that's just how things happen.

But you're in luck - you already have the game we all want! A VE release would mean nothing for you and your pin!

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Agreed, I think the software fixed the problem. I have the original coils in mine and a friend made it to Valinor, so I would say they are fine.
I have played a machine with the Pinball Life coils and the game seemed a little easier to me because the ramp shots didn't need to be as precise for the ball to make it all the way up.

No doubt it was a software tweak. When I upgraded, my machine immediately felt like it was on steroids Not just flipper power, but VUK's, etc. The Gimli VUK was so strong that it would bounce back 50% of the time (really annoying). Tried fiddling with the machine settings with no luck. Finally had to tie the wire form down to eliminate any flex/bounce. Now it never bounces back.

As far as power goes, my machine has been played at shows nonstop and the flippers don't lose power. Just say no to fans...it's a hack.

#89 9 years ago

No issues with weak coils on my 2004 HUO LOTR. Glad to see so many people finally agreeing that it was fixed with software.

#90 9 years ago

During the discussion about Vault Editions over the past 12 months, I wished for:

a) Family Guy and ended up finding one in great condition, minimal routing. Lots of fun and got to play it now.

b) The Simpsons Pinball Party. 12 months after Family Guy, I found a heavily routed game imported from Europe and now begin the restoration process. Under all that dirt and grime is a gem of a machine.

My point being - don't wait for something that may never happen. Grab a secondhand game now and have some fun!

Cheers!
Adam.

#91 9 years ago

there are reasons its a FACT that many may not be aware of.
I don't waste time posting speculations.

Quoted from fosaisu:

#92 9 years ago

Feel free to post your reasons. If you can't go into it detail, because it involves inside information, just say so. However, simply saying "fact" after a statement is not very convincing. JMHO. No offense intended.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Feel free to post your reasons. If you can't go into it detail, because it involves inside information, just say so. However, simply saying "fact" after a statement is not very convincing. JMHO. No offense intended.

I feel like people who claim they have facts about stuff like this are saying it so they can pull a "told you so" months later. Unless someone has some hard facts regarding the subject at hand, I will assume anything is possible.

#94 9 years ago

Funny thing is the stern or people most certainly read these posts and likely intentionally place these little clues in their posts. This one picture has people talking about more than 5 games, some of which may happen.

The old boards (Sam/white star) are quite cheap to make and that is why VE games will use the original system. Zero development effort is the most cost efficient model.

#95 9 years ago

Fact is fact, is it not? Or is this a middle truth? Feels like being sort of pregnant.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

... Or is this a middle truth ...

MIDDLE EARTH

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Or is this a middle truth?

This is the Shire
shire_detail.jpgshire_detail.jpg

#98 9 years ago

Not to get far off topic but I'm surprised that Disney nor Universal adopted the Lord of The Ring franchise into it's parks... Universal did it with the ultra popular Harry Potter, and Disney is currently building Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom.

Let's assume you don't have either one... & they came out at the same time would you rather own JJP's Hobbit ? or Sterns LOTR VE ?! I really would be surprised if Stern doesn't release this at the same time as Hobbit. Regardless it's considered one of Stern's best titles (According to Pinside) so I don't really think it matters when they pump them out, people will ultimately scramble to buy them, and they will certainly sell out. Do they save LOTR VE release for down they road when they need to increase sales, being it's a cash cow ? I'm *fairly* certain it's going to be released at some point that's all I know. I would be really shocked if it wasn't released. I think LOTR VE is just a matter of When will it be released.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I'm *fairly* certain it's going to be released at some point that's all I know.

No...you DON'T know....but keep trolling every single thread about it for years.

#100 9 years ago

But you posted an unsupported assertion. Unless you're ready to share the facts that have convinced you that Stern will never, ever remake LOTR, how is your post advancing the conversation any more than someone that simply says "LOTR VE will definitely be Stern's next game"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotrlord-of-the-rings-vault-edition-confirmed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.