Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by crank
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just got a LOTR and I noticed that I'm getting a lot of airballs, it seems like my flippers might be too powerful. I tried bumping them down to the lowest settings, but it didn't completely solve the issue.

I checked to see which coils I had installed, and the right side is the correct 090-5020-2OT, but the left flipper is 090-5032-0T. Should I buy another 090-5020-2OT to replace that one?

#2 11 years ago

Yes get the 5020

#3 11 years ago

Try the 5020 version that pinballlife sells. That one was specifically made for LOTR to give it the power people desired.

#4 11 years ago

Okay, thanks. I'm pretty sure that's the one that I already have for the right flipper (the part number matches). Odd that the left coil is some other model though.

#5 11 years ago

Both the original Lotr coil and the pinballlife special coil have the same number 5020 but the pinballlife coil is much thicker.

#6 11 years ago

Lol You guys pretty much didn't answer his issue. The 5032 is a weaker flipper than the 5020. He has a 5032 and is complaining it's too strong. Moving it to a 5020 (stronger) or a lotr pinball life extra strong coil (a 5020 even stronger yet) is the exact opposite of what he is looking for and will generate even more air balls.

Flashburn: where exactly are you finding airballs?

#7 11 years ago

If the air balls are coming from hitting the target then the palantir target needs repair or replacing.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If the air balls are coming from hitting the target then the palantir target needs repair or replacing.

Yeah, some of the air balls are from Palintir. What exactly is wrong with it? It looks fine to me.

A lot of the air balls are just from them colliding into each other during multiball.

#9 11 years ago

The target is probably bent back thus propelling the ball into the air. It is common to have an occasional air ball from multiball richochets but it should not be happening all the time.

#10 11 years ago

Okay, yeah after looking at my Palintir target it is actually quite a bit askew. It's not centered at all, and looked a little crooked. I'll mess around with the bracket some.

I think I'll hold off on replacing the coils for now, as I've had quite a few long games and haven't noticed any fatigue.

#11 11 years ago

The Palintir target gets constantly hammered. If you bend it back its only a matter of 50 plays or so before it starts to go back. You can always try to go into the diagnostics menu and turn the coil power down. It helps and the game still plays decent. With the latest ROM's there is a coil pulse value but to my understanding this shouldn't be changed.

#12 11 years ago

Hmm, I didn't realize there was a coil power setting, the only thing I messed with was the coil pulse settings. I'll check that out too. Thanks.

edit: I checked again, I didn't see anything except for 53-55 which are the coil pulse settings.

#13 11 years ago

I don't remember the menu number but I thought it was in the same one as the pulse settings. It is listed as Coil Strength.

#14 11 years ago

Here are the standard adjustments from the manual:

#33 Coil pulse power....Normal
#53 Flipper ADJ 1..........10
#54 Flipper ADJ 2..........50
#55 Flipper ADJ 3...........3

#15 11 years ago

I have seen reinforced targets made for TZ. Would be a good idea if someone made a reinforced target for the Palintir on LOTR

#16 11 years ago

I tried adjusting the coil pulse setting from medium to low because I was getting so many airballs however it affected the other coils and the launch kickout became troublesome. Not sure if I have the PH coils but I suspect I do. My Palantir target is very lopsided leaning heavily to the left. How do I adjust it? Sorry, still a newb...

BTW I was filming my game tonight. I uploaded a small test video. Whaddya all think? Glass is off so a bit clackity.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I tried adjusting the coil pulse setting from medium to low because I was getting so many airballs however it affected the other coils and the launch kickout became troublesome. Not sure if I have the PH coils but I suspect I do. My Palantir target is very lopsided leaning heavily to the left. How do I adjust it? Sorry, still a newb...
BTW I was filming my game tonight. I uploaded a small test video. Whaddya all think? Glass is off so a bit clackity.
» YouTube video

Under the playfield, loosen the nuts that hold the target tight and slide the target into the proper centered position and then firmly tighten it back up.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Here are the standard adjustments from the manual:
#33 Coil pulse power....Normal
#53 Flipper ADJ 1..........10
#54 Flipper ADJ 2..........50
#55 Flipper ADJ 3...........3

#33 isn't related to flipper coils.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

#33 isn't related to flipper coils.

I was under the impression that it was for all the coils including the flipper coils.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I was under the impression that it was for all the coils including the flipper coils.

I haven't tested it myself, but everything I've read indicates it's for all of the coils except the flipper coils.

#21 11 years ago

On an unrelated topic, is there a replacement for part 500-6096-00? It's the switch in the shooter lane. It seems like it's out of stock everywhere. The little metal arm of it snapped off and I don't think it'll last for long if I solder it back together.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

On an unrelated topic, is there a replacement for part 500-6096-00? It's the switch in the shooter lane. It seems like it's out of stock everywhere. The little metal arm of it snapped off and I don't think it'll last for long if I solder it back together.

Many of the parts suppliers have a micro mini switch with a straight wire arm, bend and cut to length.

Or get a similar switch, not hard to figure out. Just be sure when a ball rolls onto it that it closes and stays closed.

LTG

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

» YouTube video

Is your Balrog not flashing?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Many of the parts suppliers have a micro mini switch with a straight wire arm, bend and cut to length.
Or get a similar switch, not hard to figure out. Just be sure when a ball rolls onto it that it closes and stays closed.
LTG

So I can just buy this one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=673
Bend it a little, and swap the diode from the old one to it, and be good to go?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

So I can just buy this one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=673
Bend it a little, and swap the diode from the old one to it, and be good to go?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829 I'd get this one, closer to what you need. May even work as is.

LTG

#26 11 years ago

I'll just share this tid bit of information again. You should not change adjustment 53,54,55. These do not related to flipper strength. These values have to do with the flipper fire times. 53 is the minimum fire time, 54 is the maximum fire time, and 55 is the extra fire time once the EOS switch is activated. These values relate to time in milliseconds. These settings help reduce the flipper fatigue that people complained about after playing long games.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I'll just share this tid bit of information again. You should not change adjustment 53,54,55. These do not related to flipper strength. These values have to do with the flipper fire times. 53 is the minimum fire time, 54 is the maximum fire time, and 55 is the extra fire time once the EOS switch is activated. These settings help reduce the flipper fatigue that people complained about after playing long games.

Which setting is for flipper coil power, #33 Coil pulse power?

#28 11 years ago

Yes that should affect all the coils.

#29 11 years ago

I'm confused....

One person says #33 IS for the flipper coils, another person says it's NOT

#30 11 years ago

Indypinhead why don't you just call Stern support and see what they say? This way you won't be confused.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from crank:

Is your Balrog not flashing?

It does during the game. Is it supposed to flash during the attract mode?

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

No. It sounds fine.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829 I'd get this one, closer to what you need. May even work as is.
LTG

Awesome, thanks. I'd still need to transfer the diode over though, right?

BTW, I adjusted Palantir and it really did reduce my air balls down to like nothing now, maybe a couple a game at worst, so I think that was mostly the issue there.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Awesome, thanks. I'd still need to transfer the diode over though, right?

I'd get a new one ( 1N4004 or 1N4007 ) but you can reuse the old one. Get wires in same spots and silver band end of diode facing the same way.

LTG

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

At games end mine flashes for a few seconds after it swings back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-wrong-flipper-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.