Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

A couple of times recently, when I have first switched on my LOTR, it will just sit there with all the playfield lights constantly flashing on and off. Nothing showing on the DMD, & no sound. Machine is an original 2003 Whitestar game running 10.0 Roms.

Now I have cleared the fault each time, (not cured/fixed as it keeps coming back) by reseating the connectors on the CPU board. It will then boot up and play normally for a while. Connectors all look good. The CPU circuit board does flex about quite a bit when I reseat the connectors. Could there be a bad connection or trace somewhere on the board?

Has anyone on here experienced this sort of thing happening on a modern Stern? Any ideas what it could be? I don't fancy shelling out for a new Whitestar CPU board!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

#2 12 years ago

Had exactly same thing on my LOTR - took a long while to fix!

Check batteries for any acid damage and change.

From memory the way mine was fixed ( not by me as various people tried and failed ) was to buy new ribbon cables - so that would be my first port of call.

#3 12 years ago

Thanks for the reply simonakapw, I'll renew those batteries first. I had a quick look for any corrosion and couldn't see any. If it still plays up then I'll renew those ribbon cables.

#4 12 years ago

Really strange yours is doing the same thing - another idea is to switch boards with your TSPP or Monopoly and see if that isolates it to one board. From memory that was done on mine. Let me know how it goes - really curious to see how you get on - hopefully well

#5 12 years ago

My TSPP and Monopoly pins are now both sold, dismantled and waiting to be collected by the buyers so I can't really mess around with the circuit boards on them unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.

I had a good look on RGP and found nothing on there that would relate to this fault.

Have just switched the LOTR on and it's working fine now. I'll put fresh batteries in tomorrow and see how things go.

#6 12 years ago

It is a really weird fault - spoke to Stern etc and no one was sure what it was.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is a really weird fault - spoke to Stern etc and no one was sure what it was.

I doubt they would be allowed to admit if they had seen it before. That would point some blame back to them.

#8 12 years ago

My SM does this every once in a while. This is common with the new system. Can't remember if my LOTR does it. I just turn it off, wait 10 seconds and it starts up fine.

#9 12 years ago

Have a South Park that did the same thing. Turns out it was a bad socket under the batteries that had gotten a little corrosion or something in it. There was no continuity from one of the chips legs to the back of the board. Bought a new better socket soldered it on and the game was back up and running. I know someone with a Godzilla that has been trying to track down the same problem. If you have a DMM, I would get it out and pull the board and start buzzing the whole thing out looking for any problems near the batteries or CPU game eprom. Wish I had a silver bullet for you, but this problem seems to have different things that cause it. Good luck. I bet the relay is making a loud annoying clicking noise to go with the GI light blinking too!

#10 12 years ago

I have had this happen on my IM and Avatar LE. Doesn't happen with my LOTR LE though. Usually I fix it by simply turning them off and on again. I just hope it isn't a sign of future problems where off/on won't work any more.

1 year later
#11 11 years ago

Anyone can help me , i have a very similar problem with TSPP , when i power it the lights are blinking with relay making some noise , i cant start any game , i dont really know where to start , is it a boot problem itself or a reset problem , cable problem or board problem ...
I m still new and learning fast but i need help.
Thx
Mike

#12 11 years ago

The original poster was only having the problem intermittently. When you say you can't start a game, does that mean you can't start a game at all? Even if you cycle power more than once?

If that's the case, checking the fuses would be a good place to start. Do you have a DMM?

#13 11 years ago

I've seen this before, and I'm fairly sure this behavior is due to the inability to read the ROM properly.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#14 11 years ago

Do you have the latest software for TSPP? Stern released an update for Avatar and IM which fixed the problem on those pins for me. Maybe TSPP had something similar?

#15 11 years ago

Do you get anything on the DMD? Is your 5v LED on the CPU board lit? Does the machine ever boot? If you have 5v pull the batteries (check for corrosion) and open the coin door and see what happens. As stated, you may need a ROM upgrade.

viperrwk

#16 11 years ago

Had this happen to me as well. Take the board off and check for acid damage. Has the board ever had repairs done to it? As Chris mentioned you should reseat the roms if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing. Helps if you have a puller. Don't use a screw driver. My problem turned out to be repairs gone bad due to past acid damage on the board. (That I wasn't aware of) Very expensive to buy that particular CPU board as I found out. Get the batteries off the board asap.

#17 11 years ago

I am in the fun club - sounds like my problem to a t... Its frustrating for sure.

10 months later
#18 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I've seen this before, and I'm fairly sure this behavior is due to the inability to read the ROM properly.

I am now in this club too with Nascar. All traditional diagnostic methods have failed. The PAL chip and watchdog have been replaced. What can fix this problem?

#19 10 years ago

Wow, and myself tonight with LOTR I just bought! The game keeps resetting, it was made in jan 2006 and still had original batteries in it 7yrs later!

Can anyone tell me if you leave the batteries out of the holder will it effect the game? It doesn't on any Williams/Bally games so didn't think it would on a stern

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Wow, and myself tonight with LOTR I just bought! The game keeps resetting, it was made in jan 2006 and still had original batteries in it 7yrs later!
Can anyone tell me if you leave the batteries out of the holder will it effect the game? It doesn't on any Williams/Bally games so didn't think it would on a stern

Because the memory will not have any settings, assuming the machine will boot, you will get the message "Open the coin door" when you turn the machine on. When you do it will initialize the memory and the game can be played. Only problem is without batteries it will do this every time you turn the machine on unless you put in batteries or some type of NVRAM.

viperrwk

#22 10 years ago

I only wish the problem on Nascar was that simple.

3 weeks later
#23 10 years ago

Turns out Nascar had a bad RAM chip on the CPU/ Sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-whitestar-boot-up-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.