52%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ct4DkT7VYAAuuzx (resized).jpg
921DBC2B-44D9-47F2-B73E-4B385BDA39A6 (resized).jpeg
wizardofoz5740 (resized).jpg
lotr (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

If cost was not an object?

I have all Stern so was thinking of trying JJP and from the choices looks like Woz is better at this point. I don't have a ton of time on either JJP but TH at this point didn't light my desire. Woz I'd never liked in the past but the last time I played it was more fun. Plus I have Tspp which I had not liked in the past but now enjoy due to fun rules and odd shots like the upper flipper shots, seems like Woz is a bit similar.

What I'm not sold on is the right upper PF on Woz or the pop bumper on the left outlane. Are either of these areas fun? Maybe I don't have enough time all together have played Woz less than 50 games.

Also while Woz is stunning, is the GI lighting a problem?

As for LotR I know that's well regarded but over the years I've probably only played it 50-100 games, never really got into it. Pretty sure I don't know the rules so it was superficial playing and I thought it was just alright. However as I said the same way with Tspp never liked it until I bought one now I think it's fantastic.

I don't understand the rules of either LotR or Woz but I am a big fan of well programmed games and I love games like Tspp or AcDc which have complex rules that can still be fun if you play them superficially or if you want to play different way to attack the game.

I realize there is a price difference but I'd rather spend more on Woz being newer and more beautiful with the color changing lights as well as the LCD. But I really want a pin that I can enjoy for years. Points in favor of LotR is that it's cheaper and probably higher rated easier to sell if I don't like it.

Is this a no brainier or ar they both great games?

#12 7 years ago

Thanks, as predicted this is somewhat of a toss up.

I know both are coded well, and both themes are great for me. I may decide to get the LotR now as I have one lined up and if I don't like it, I can always trade it and pick up a Woz down the road.

#17 7 years ago

Hey, I made it a poll.

wizardofoz5740 (resized).jpgwizardofoz5740 (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

almost Even Steven on this poll

2 years later
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

LOTR is the better game.

I wanted to bump this thread, it was tied exactly 30 votes each if you don’t count my vote.

Since this time of the original thread I have sold my LotR and bought a Woz RR.

I’m picking Woz now for a few reasons. Technically (**edit should said have technology or technically with the meaning of advanced in technology areas) Woz is way better, I mean better sound, better lighting, better display, better control of the settings such as sling shot power. IMO better quality construction. I’m based off of a 2017 build Woz RR with RadCals and 2.0 lighting system.

Theme is a push. While I love LotR and have read the books many times and seen the films many times, I have also watched Woz probably 15+ Times growing up as well as introducing my kids to Woz. I like how the pinball machine is not a musical (not singing as in the movie). I think the instrumental score of the game is great. While LotR has great sound and music but the sound system is really not up to the level of new games and sounds too compressed or tinny.

Gameplay both are great, rules both are great. I think both are a story type game and both require long games to get to the end, I tend to see most of the front end of the games. I can’t pick one or the other for rule or gameplay or toys. I think they are neck and neck. So probably the things that put Woz ahead for me would be the lighting effects as well as the better display and sound system.

I really love LotR still but when I owned it I didn’t really play it a lot because it was somewhat like work to get deep.

#31 5 years ago

You didn’t quote correct.

I said technically (maybe should have said technologically) Woz is way better. It can’t be debated that Woz doesn’t have better sound system, light system, display system. It’s just a fact. If you have seen Woz you would know it’s got better lighting, sound, display.

I wasn’t saying Woz is way better as a game I was saying the technology such as display etc. maybe technically was the incorrect word should have said technology.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If you do not like LOTR you may want to skip Woz as 2 of the 3 designers that worked on LOTR worked on WOZ

I’m not asking for advice, I’ve owned both games. I was just curious which one you like best as related to the other. You can like them both but for this poll you can pick one or the other not both.

As I said the votes were dead even.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's true. LOTR is a far superior game. it's 30x's more fun, rules flow way better and easier to understand whats going on. Plus the theme is top notch.

Oh snap your ratings are ridiculous, reminds me not to take your advice on anything.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Don't waste your time buying a WOZ, LOTR is hands down a much better machine. Put a poll at the top of this and you'll see.

where have you been??

There is a poll.

I am ***not asking if I should buy one or the other.

I have owned both.

I am asking which one do you prefer and the poll shows it's fairly even split.
Ct4DkT7VYAAuuzx (resized).jpgCt4DkT7VYAAuuzx (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 7.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-woz?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.