New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 168899)

LotR vs Woz ?

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pcprogrammer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“what pin is better?”

• WoZ 74 votes
    49%
  • Lotr 77 votes
    51%

(151 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ct4DkT7VYAAuuzx (resized).jpg
921DBC2B-44D9-47F2-B73E-4B385BDA39A6 (resized).jpeg
wizardofoz5740 (resized).jpg
lotr (resized).jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

If cost was not an object?

I have all Stern so was thinking of trying JJP and from the choices looks like Woz is better at this point. I don't have a ton of time on either JJP but TH at this point didn't light my desire. Woz I'd never liked in the past but the last time I played it was more fun. Plus I have Tspp which I had not liked in the past but now enjoy due to fun rules and odd shots like the upper flipper shots, seems like Woz is a bit similar.

What I'm not sold on is the right upper PF on Woz or the pop bumper on the left outlane. Are either of these areas fun? Maybe I don't have enough time all together have played Woz less than 50 games.

Also while Woz is stunning, is the GI lighting a problem?

As for LotR I know that's well regarded but over the years I've probably only played it 50-100 games, never really got into it. Pretty sure I don't know the rules so it was superficial playing and I thought it was just alright. However as I said the same way with Tspp never liked it until I bought one now I think it's fantastic.

I don't understand the rules of either LotR or Woz but I am a big fan of well programmed games and I love games like Tspp or AcDc which have complex rules that can still be fun if you play them superficially or if you want to play different way to attack the game.

I realize there is a price difference but I'd rather spend more on Woz being newer and more beautiful with the color changing lights as well as the LCD. But I really want a pin that I can enjoy for years. Points in favor of LotR is that it's cheaper and probably higher rated easier to sell if I don't like it.

Is this a no brainier or ar they both great games?

#2 4 years ago

JJP games seem a bit more advanced, solid, and WOZ in particular is a great "family" game. You get a
lot for your money even though JJP games are somewhat pricey. You might consider waiting for JJP #3
as it shouldn't be too long for at least some kind of announcement. And yes, WOZ and LOTR are both great games.

#3 4 years ago

I never gave LOTR much thought for years. I even had it on a temp trade for my IM for a few months. I was just caught up in the harder, faster, flowing pins and couldn't look past that. Then my friend was thinking about selling his LOTR, I had a spot open and I remembered how much my wife and daughter like it. I gave LOTR a shot and bought it for the family and I ended up loving it!

The shots are fun and there are a lot of them. My LOTR plays pretty fast also. Rules are deep and I probably will never get to Valinor, but trying is a lot of fun. It balances out my IM and ACDC very well. It shot right up there with ACDC and IM for me. Get one!

WOZ intrigues me a lot. I just would not want to lay out the kind of bank they go for when you can buy a really nice LOTR for $5000ish.

#4 4 years ago

My lotr left tuesday, but not because I was sick of it. I want to gear my collection towards things no one ever sees and frankly there are 4 lotr within 30 min of me to play.

Both games are deep. Deep enough that unless you are fairly skilled you will never get through everything in one game. WOZ is more technically advanced. Color changing lights on the playfield which correspond to what is going on in the game. You also have the LCD.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the LCD. LOTR with a color dmd does look dated in comparison, but the information that you need is quicker to understand. The LCD is great for people watching, just not as great for the player trying to get information on the fly. The LED lighting is very nice and feels much more modern it also conveys information that might otherwise get lost.

WOZ costs a couple grand more than a nice lotr. That being said if I were to get one and money was no object it would still be LOTR. LOTR feels epic. The callouts are great. The story telling in it is second to none. It very much feels like you are plaything through the movies and there is progression. The modes and multiballs force you to play the shots on the playfield evenly. Yes, next to a WOZ it looks older. The actual play does not.

#5 4 years ago

well it is very hard to say. a lot depends on what floats your boat on a game. ease or difficulty of shots etc etc. I own a LotR and kinda decided i didnt want to read up on the rules and just play the game. It took some time but game is very fun. lots of multiballs and shots you have to make. lots of modes and neat toys. plus the music is great and drop a sub on it and you feel like you are at the movies. woz has an amazing light show and toys. LotR light show is good with incandescent bulbs. It sux if you drop in leds by themselves. Lots of flickering but if you put on the ocdled board it is makes it great looking. i was tempted to sell my lotr but after having an amazing game and getting into here and back again i decided to keep it.

colordmd would be a good addition because the game pauses long enough to see the display. WoZ display is in another league but it was also the first to have the lcd screen. while it does have its awesomeness you rarely ever have time to look at it while playing.

with longevity of parts i would put my money on LotR. Who knows the durability of the computer setup inside of WoZ. As we know of pin2k those computers will eventually break down.

#6 4 years ago

Both great games but in my opinion WOZ is way better. Had a LOTR for 4 months here or so and never got to far in it. Destroyed the ring a few times and never really could get into the theme. The bash toy Balrog is sorta dumb since its right in center of playfield and only used during 1 Mball that i know of and the upper left playfield is completely crap. Playfield is ugly with pixelated print. WOZ is alot more fun for me even though the theme isnt for me. Melting the Witch is more intense then destroying the ring and not anticlimactic like destroying ring.

My opinions,
Gameplay and Fun WOZ wins easily
Cabnient and Playfield art WOZ is stunning LOTR is ugly
Lighting WOZ is on a completely different level
Code is similar but WOZ wins again

#7 4 years ago

If I had a two pin collection, I'd have WOZ and LOTR.

#8 4 years ago

I have owned them both and WOZ is better by far. I would not even consider them in the same class.

#9 4 years ago

LOTR has a far superior layout and is a much much funner pin to play IMO.

#10 4 years ago

I just sold my LOTR and bought a WOZ. I have played hundreds of games on each, both are awesome, LOTR can get to be chopping wood and very long games pretty consistently ... so for me I will still play both but I think id rather own the WOZ for longevity. I will probably appreciate LOTR more this way.. either way you will be happy for sure!

#12 4 years ago

Thanks, as predicted this is somewhat of a toss up.

I know both are coded well, and both themes are great for me. I may decide to get the LotR now as I have one lined up and if I don't like it, I can always trade it and pick up a Woz down the road.

#13 4 years ago

I sold a LOTR for a WOZ. I miss LOTR but, WOZ is a better game.

#14 4 years ago

I've owned both but no longer own either one. I didn't care for WOZ at all, but I really liked LOTR. I just hated the playfield layout on WOZ. It's one of the most un-flowy games I can think of. Plus, the callouts were driving me mad.

#15 4 years ago

Played both many, many times - I own LOTR and my next door neighbor has WOZ. For me, ultimately every pin will get boring at some point, so my viewpoint would be as follows:

If you can find a good deal on a WOZ, I'd get that. Newer, better "show" - lights, LCD, art, arguably better tech, some have said deeper, might appeal to a broader audience - kids, women, casual players, etc. Upkeep on them, from what I've seen, is really no different than any other pin. As long as the light boards are sound, it should certainly be no worse than a circa-2003 LOTR. And if you wanted to spend the money, you could get one NIB...

If you can't find a good deal on WOZ, you'll be able to spend less and get an LOTR. Good thing with LOTR - if you keep it maintained, clean, 100%, and so forth, you'll likely have zero issue selling it later for probably very close to what you paid. Don't know if you could say the same for WOZ. Probably could, but might take longer? I'm under the impression LOTR is an easy sell, condition granted.

Both are great games in their own right and when I play, I have lots of fun with both. Give yourself a timeframe to get a game, and get the best, most reasonably priced example you can for whichever pops up first!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks, as predicted this is somewhat of a toss up.
I know both are coded well, and both themes are great for me. I may decide to get the LotR now as I have one lined up and if I don't like it, I can always trade it and pick up a Woz down the road.

You may find there are other games you will let go before LOTR if you decide to pickup a WOZ later.

#17 4 years ago

Hey, I made it a poll.

wizardofoz5740 (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpg

#18 4 years ago

Really tough call. I've got both......hmmmmmm one then the other? What a weak answer. Play both more. Then decide

#19 4 years ago

Owned a LOTR ....gone...WOZ stays...great game!!!

#20 4 years ago

Although I really like LOTR, it just seems dated next to the TH.

#21 4 years ago

WOZ is not in the same league as LOTR. LOTR works because it's an epic game based on an epic 10-hour movie trilogy. WOZ tries to be an epic game based on a 2-hour musical, which just doesn't work. The source material is simply too limited and too inappropriate. Add in a poor layout (yes, that outlane pop bumper is one of the most idiotic 'innovations' ever) and the awful music and you're looking at a mediocre game.

One thing I will say for WOZ is that it's a great game for introducing people to pinball. The game looks great, everyone knows the theme, the light shows are excellent and the LCD gets people's attention. Thing is...LOTR is just as good a game for novice players. Goals are intuitive, there are few really punishing shots and the callouts (mostly recognisable quotes from the movies) work really well with the theme.

#22 4 years ago

LOTR is the better game.

#23 4 years ago

LOTR is an awesome game!

#24 4 years ago

I've owned two LOTR (still have one), and I've owned WOZ. Both great games. But in the end, I pick LOTR by a nose. And that is because of the callouts.

Both of them are quest games. WOZ does a better job of stacking. But there is a limitation in WOZ, and for me, that was Rescue Multiball. It is impossible to finish. Even if I was playing my absolute best, I found that impossible to actually do. It is just too many shots, and you are making them on two different playfields. I never even got close. Compare that to ROTK Multiball in LOTR. I've never finished it... However I think I can. And that is a huge difference. I know all it takes is controlled skilled play. So I found WOZ to feel like a dead end.

The downside to LOTR depth is of course, longer games. After this many years with LOTR around, when I play, it is one or two games. But there is still a huge thrill in destroying the ring. Just the call out "The ring mist be destroyed" still sends chills down my spine. Killing the witch in WOZ is a thrill, but the TTT "Super jackpot ho ho ho ho" is the best callout in all of pinball.

So both great, but LOTR wins.

#25 4 years ago

almost Even Steven on this poll

2 years later
#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

LOTR is the better game.

I wanted to bump this thread, it was tied exactly 30 votes each if you don’t count my vote.

Since this time of the original thread I have sold my LotR and bought a Woz RR.

I’m picking Woz now for a few reasons. Technically (**edit should said have technology or technically with the meaning of advanced in technology areas) Woz is way better, I mean better sound, better lighting, better display, better control of the settings such as sling shot power. IMO better quality construction. I’m based off of a 2017 build Woz RR with RadCals and 2.0 lighting system.

Theme is a push. While I love LotR and have read the books many times and seen the films many times, I have also watched Woz probably 15+ Times growing up as well as introducing my kids to Woz. I like how the pinball machine is not a musical (not singing as in the movie). I think the instrumental score of the game is great. While LotR has great sound and music but the sound system is really not up to the level of new games and sounds too compressed or tinny.

Gameplay both are great, rules both are great. I think both are a story type game and both require long games to get to the end, I tend to see most of the front end of the games. I can’t pick one or the other for rule or gameplay or toys. I think they are neck and neck. So probably the things that put Woz ahead for me would be the lighting effects as well as the better display and sound system.

I really love LotR still but when I owned it I didn’t really play it a lot because it was somewhat like work to get deep.

#27 1 year ago

LOTRs is much better.

#28 1 year ago

If you do not like LOTR you may want to skip Woz as 2 of the 3 designers that worked on LOTR worked on WOZ

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Woz is way better, I mean better sound

#30 1 year ago

I say WOZ; I like LOTR a lot but it didn't last for me, just felt kinda clunky and I didn't have that much fun after a while. WOZ is incredibly more deep and way harder, and far more to do. If you don't like the theme though, it can be a deal breaker. The music was kind of tough for me to get past on WOZ.

IMO Hobbit is your best bet if you're looking for that fantasy theme. New code has changed it into a completely new game, incredible. Barring that, WOZ WOZ WOZ.

#31 1 year ago

You didn’t quote correct.

I said technically (maybe should have said technologically) Woz is way better. It can’t be debated that Woz doesn’t have better sound system, light system, display system. It’s just a fact. If you have seen Woz you would know it’s got better lighting, sound, display.

I wasn’t saying Woz is way better as a game I was saying the technology such as display etc. maybe technically was the incorrect word should have said technology.

#32 1 year ago

rai, enjoying your old pin. Definitely one of my favorites.

921DBC2B-44D9-47F2-B73E-4B385BDA39A6 (resized).jpeg
#33 1 year ago

Spoiler alert: In terms of game structure, WOZ is really LOTR 2.0 in a lot of ways.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from JY64:

If you do not like LOTR you may want to skip Woz as 2 of the 3 designers that worked on LOTR worked on WOZ

I’m not asking for advice, I’ve owned both games. I was just curious which one you like best as related to the other. You can like them both but for this poll you can pick one or the other not both.

As I said the votes were dead even.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Spoiler alert: In terms of game structure, WOZ is really LOTR 2.0 in a lot of ways.

Come on it isn't even close.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

that's true. LOTR is a far superior game. it's 30x's more fun, rules flow way better and easier to understand whats going on. Plus the theme is top notch.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Who to believe... the guy who actually wrote the code, or the forum poster who hates the WOZ theme because he is hardcore.

Gonna have to ponder on this one! Lol

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Wow, I would really like some more insight into this! I don't know either game well enough to see the correlation

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, I would really like some more insight into this! I don't know either game well enough to see the correlation

IIRC he talks about it in the H2H interview he did, if i'm not mistaken.

EDIT: I am mistaken...Hobbit was the successor to LOTR

#40 1 year ago

It would be closer if stern did a VE lotr with better artwork, sound, and display with today's technology. Woz easily gets my vote though. Themes being equal to me.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's true. LOTR is a far superior game. it's 30x's more fun, rules flow way better and easier to understand whats going on. Plus the theme is top notch.

Oh snap your ratings are ridiculous, reminds me not to take your advice on anything.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Maken:

Who to believe... the guy who actually wrote the code, or the forum poster who hates the WOZ theme because he is hardcore.

Gonna have to ponder on this one! Lol

I don't like LOTRs either as a theme, but at least they made some cool modes with a fast fun layout, its better than WOZ but I'm not a fan so ur theory sucks. Jesus if what makes u hardcore is thinking WOZ is gay then the bar is set real low around here. Also just because the guy wrote the code doesn't make it so, tell me please how these 2 pins are similar?

#43 1 year ago

Both great games....LOTR needs the color dmd and shaker....very different from each other so really no comparison on game play. I find LOTR a much easier game to understand and explain. Cant go wrong with either

#44 1 year ago

If I had to guess, I'd say WoZ is much like LOTR in that to Destroy the Ring you just need to play the 3 movie multiballs.

In WoZ, you need to start Emerald Multiball, Rescue Multiball, a Munchkin Mode, and Fireball Frenzy. Then you can start Wicked Witch battle mini wizard mode.

Valinor=Somewhere over the rainbow.

#45 1 year ago

If I could have a free lotr or a free woz that I had to keep and not sell I would get WOZ without a doubt

#46 1 year ago

Completing Rescue multiball has about the same very high difficulty as completing Return of The King multiball.

Destroying the ring and melting the witch are about the same difficulty to get to and finish.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

very different from each other so really no comparison on game play. I find LOTR a much easier game to understand and explain.

Oh ur wrong WOZ is apparently the successor to LOTRs I mean I don't know I'm too hardcore and didn't code these games so my opinion is irrelevant and so is yours. Can't wait to hear why ur opinion doesn't matter.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

IIRC he talks about it in the H2H interview he did, if i'm not mistaken.
EDIT: I am mistaken...Hobbit was the successor to LOTR

Wait, I am confused. Keith himself just posted that WOZ is the successor to LOTR, so... I am confused

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait, I am confused. Keith himself just posted that WOZ is the successor to LOTR, so... I am confused

Keith is looking at the games as ruleset only does not care about the themes

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why not?

Serious question.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 13.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside