You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-1-110.jpeg
th-127.jpeg
809.1L.jpg
2013-06-05-evangeline_lilly_thehobbit2_header.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I got to play LOTR this evening. It is definitely a fun game. Jersey Jack must be very confident to take on the #7th ranked machine in a head-to-head battle. There will be inevitable comparisons. I wonder if he did this intentionally, to try to point out the differences between JJP vs Stern machines. It's a big gamble, though.

#2 10 years ago

They're both great themes. There is no head-to-head battle that I'm aware of.

#3 10 years ago

I disagree with your premise.

#4 10 years ago

I vote for the hobbit, I imagined playing it and it was soooooooo freaking sweet. I literally blew my load just launching from the shooter lane.

2013-06-05-evangeline_lilly_thehobbit2_header.jpg2013-06-05-evangeline_lilly_thehobbit2_header.jpg

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I vote for the hobbit, I imagined playing it and it was soooooooo freaking sweet. I literally blew my load just launching from the shooter lane.

2013-06-05-evangeline_lilly_theh... 32 KB

You leaning on the machine too hard when the shaker motor goes off again?

#6 10 years ago

whats that Cflank? You use the shooter lane to measure girth?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You leaning on the machine too hard when the shaker motor goes off again?

Ive got an awesome new mod called "nut rumblers" and they tie into the shaker wiring.

#8 10 years ago

LOTRs is more than ten years old. Great game (I would love to own one), but I think the hobbit is going to be compared to whatever Sterns late year release is this year.

#9 10 years ago

The Hobbit Vs Fishtails is going to be the future comparison.

.....Ramp shooters logic.

#10 10 years ago

Lets compare Mustang LE vrs. Slugger.

809.1L.jpg809.1L.jpg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Lets compare Mustang LE vrs. Slugger.

809.1L.jpg 171 KB

Is that thing HUO? You should powdercoat the trim and put in a few mods.

#12 10 years ago

LOTR FTW

mostly my thoughts are skewed due to TH not being playable yet.

wcbrandes..... we must have very different shooter lanes.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

The Hobbit Vs Fishtails is going to be the future comparison.
.....Ramp shooters logic.

I just woke up about 15 minutes ago and imagined hearing the boat engine sounds as I hit ramp shots on The Hobbit :p thanks! haha

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

They're basically the same theme, or at least as close as it gets. Same author, same movie series, same actors, same director, same setting, same characters. I've seen lots of comparisons of the different Star Wars titles, same could be said for Star Trek.

This time, you have 2 companies in direct competition. One took on this theme and made the #7 machine of all time. If TH ends up at #20 or whatever, wouldn't that represent a victory for Stern? Just saying, JJP has modern technology, but #7 is tough to mess with.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

They're basically the same theme, or at least as close as it gets. Same author, same movie series, same actors, same director, same setting, same characters. I've seen lots of comparisons of the different Star Wars titles, same could be said for Star Trek.
This time, you have 2 companies in direct competition. One took on this theme and made the #7 machine of all time. If TH ends up at #20 or whatever, wouldn't that represent a victory for Stern? Just saying, JJP has modern technology, but #7 is tough to mess with.

I'll trade you a #7 for a #23 any day of the week. In other words, the ratings are kind of meaningless. And I don't think Jack would lose any sleep over a #20 rating on TH.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Sequels always get compared. This times it's between 2 companies in direct, fierce competition. If TH ends up at #18 like WOZ, I think that will be a significant victory for Stern. It's gutsy to take on the #7 game of all time.

Would they be compared if JJP made a Metallica pinball?

#17 10 years ago

Unbelievable !! One of our all time most epic , stupid threads!

#18 10 years ago

This has nothing to do with Stern vs JJP. The only comparison you could make is between George Gomez and the guys designing Hobbit.
.... in the end will be 2 completelly different machines, impossible to compare.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

This is the first of 6 threads. Wait for the 30 post ending. It will wrap everything up perfectly.

#20 10 years ago

LOTR is #7 on the Pinside rankings and WOZ is #17, taken from Pinsiders' reviews - almost all of which have some sort of agenda (and I own both as well as a Hobbit preorder, so I can talk about both sides of the argument). It will be a victory for PINBALL if TH is an awesome machine because it will get even more people into the hobby like WOZ did, along with all the great machines Stern is producing as well. It shouldn't be about competition anymore...only about the betterment of pinball. I'd like to see Spooky and JPop get their machines out there as well. More ideas, more pinball machines, more competition, and everybody involved in this hobby wins. It may even force the ridiculous prices to come down, too!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

LOTR FTW
mostly my thoughts are skewed due to TH not being playable yet.
wcbrandes..... we must have very different shooter lanes.

were metric in this Vancouver! We appear to be larger up here!

#22 10 years ago

Russell, all of your presumptions and assumptions are absolutely idiotic. Participating in such psychobabble is futile.

Furthermore, I honestly believe that the more that you believe in the "lists of good pinballs" (top 100 on Pinside for example), the more of a lemming you become. Believing strongly in "lists" makes it much harder to form unique opinions of games and folks just get in line for the next hyped up title. The lists also promote bad behavior when people rate games much higher (or lower) than they should. I could go on and on about why I don't support these types of lists, but that is a little off topic.

#23 10 years ago

Rules are for the most part what matters these days, and given both have Keefer doing them, and given the PF layout is a little more amicable for most over some of the issue with the woz PF, they will both likely be greats.

However, at this time, LOTR is the only proven winner.

7th for LOTR is too low. Amazing that the machine it's built off of, MB, with no where near the rules, still hovers where it does.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

i think your too much into the numbers game. which means, pretty much zilch, with this hobby being extremely subjective in terms of preferences.

#25 10 years ago

The point I am making is valid whether you use rankings or just subjective opinions.

#26 10 years ago

Jersey Jack could care less about Pinside rankings. You suggested that they care in the first post and that rankings actually mean something when a company decides what titles to develop and design. That is just crazy talk.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The OP is in Colorado. He's operating on a different level.

#28 10 years ago

In a battle where there can be no winners, WHO WILL WIN!?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Jersey Jack could care less about Pinside rankings. You suggested that they care in the first post and that rankings actually mean something when a company decides what titles to develop and design. That is just crazy talk.

Is this more to your liking?

I got to play LOTR this evening. It is definitely a fun game. Jersey Jack must be very confident to take a very highly regarded machine in a head-to-head battle. There will be inevitable comparisons. I wonder if he did this intentionally, to try to point out the differences between JJP vs Stern machines. It's a big gamble, though.

#30 10 years ago

Its a gamble, like developing any pin, but I think its going to pay off big for JJP. Why? One of the main reasons, many would say the #1 reason, why LOTR is such an amazing pin is because of Keith Johnson's work on the code. JJP has Keith Johnson on their staff and working on the code for TH. When you factor in not only Keith working on the code but Ted Estes as well ,who has coded for many top games, its likely that the game will be amazing as great code work is one factor in making a great pinball machine.

#31 10 years ago

The LOTR movies are superior. Odds are the same will be the case with the pin, although I would love to be proven wrong.

#32 10 years ago

LOTR is better. But it's kind of one sided comparing a game that does exist to one that doesn't.

#33 10 years ago

I imagine quite a few people will buy a Hobbit to place beside their LOTR. (I will.) In that way, the existence of LOTR will create sales for TH, not the reverse.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Sequels always get compared.

How is the Hobbit a sequel?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Is this more to your liking?
I got to play LOTR this evening. It is definitely a fun game. Jersey Jack must be very confident to take a very highly regarded machine in a head-to-head battle. There will be inevitable comparisons. I wonder if he did this intentionally, to try to point out the differences between JJP vs Stern machines. It's a big gamble, though.

It's still flawed. This "head-to-head" battle you are describing is just a figment of your imagination.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Sequels always get compared. This times it's between 2 companies in direct, fierce competition. If TH ends up at #18 like WOZ, I think that will be a significant victory for Stern. It's gutsy to take on the #7 game of all time.
Would they be compared if JJP made a Metallica pinball?

The victory for Stern was keeping LOTR in production or 7 or 8 years and making ~7000 or so machines. Whatever Hobbit ends up as is irrelevant to what Stern did with LOTR, as that chapter in pinball history is over. If Hobbit is cool and sells a lot, that will be a victory for JJP....from a business perspective, there's no competition here as LOTR is no longer in production.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I imagine quite a few people will buy a Hobbit to place beside their LOTR. (I will.) In that way, the existence of LOTR will create sales for TH, not the reverse.

Quoted from Russell:

They're basically the same theme, or at least as close as it gets. Same author, same movie series, same actors, same director, same setting, same characters

First off I own a STERN LOTR LE. Russell with this statement and observation makes an excellent point. I kicked around the idea of preordering The Hobbit . But in the end it seems the Hobbit films are close and familiar to the LOTR films. In fact I was bummed when I heard that JJP had picked The Hobbit theme. I have no idea what music or voice overs will be used in the production of The Hobbit pinball. But the likely hood of similarities between the two films as pointed out by Russell is why I did not preorder JJP The Hobbit pinball machine. Only time will tell. And I hope I was mistaken by the similarities in theme ,actors, setting, music and characters.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

First off I own a STERN LOTR LE. Russell with this statement and observation makes an excellent point. I kicked around the idea of preordering The Hobbit . But in the end it seems the Hobbit films are close and familiar to the LOTR films. In fact I was bummed when I heard that JJP had picked The Hobbit theme. I have no idea what music or voice overs will be used in the production of The Hobbit pinball. But the likely hood of similarities between the two films as pointed out by Russell is why I did not preorder JJP The Hobbit pinball machine. Only time will tell. And I hope I was mistaken by the similarities in theme ,actors, setting, music and characters.

They're using a band called Two Steps from Hell for the music, so I think the assumption is that it won't have any movie score...or maybe their interpretation of the score along w/ original music. So - I don't think the games will sound similar. Even if they did use similar music themes, JJP's audio is lightyears ahead of ahead of Whitestar. Plus it's a widebody, LOTR is standard. Keith's doing the rules, so I imagine he's not going to want to clone his previous work but make something that's just as cool. Forget the Stern vs. JJP thing - from a collector/player perspective it will probably be a fantastic companion to LOTR.

#39 10 years ago

Apples and oranges....
th-127.jpegth-127.jpegth-1-110.jpegth-1-110.jpeg

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They're using a band called Two Steps from Hell for the music, so I think the assumption is that it won't have any movie score...or maybe their interpretation of the score along w/ original music. So - I don't think the games will sound similar. Even if they did use similar music themes, JJP's audio is lightyears ahead of ahead of Whitestar. Plus it's a widebody, LOTR is standard. Keith's doing the rules, so I imagine he's not going to want to clone his previous work but make something that's just as cool. Forget the Stern vs. JJP thing - from a collector/player perspective it will probably be a fantastic companion to LOTR.

Jack said it might have one or two songs from the movie, but for the most part it will be original compositions.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Keith's doing the rules, so I imagine he's not going to want to clone his previous work but make something that's just as cool.

This man is wise; you should listen to him. Well, at least in this case.

#42 10 years ago

lets hope the two songs are the songs from the trolls or goblin king. It it will be a shitfest.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Glad I wasn't drinking when I read this. Made me smile. Thanks Keith.

#44 10 years ago

Not a big fan of either series, but great theme for pinball machines. I enjoyed LOTR way more than I though I would even with the crap main music, can only hope that TH is as good or better, I think it will be awesome.

#45 10 years ago

Oh crap, we might have to give Rarehero a sedative to bring him down from the ego boost.

#46 10 years ago

vs? Pinball machines compete against each other? I once nudged my bsd into my jackbot, does that count as a vs. battle?

#47 10 years ago

Did you guys hear about Stern taking on Williams? Mustang vs. Corvette. Should be an epic "head-to-head" battle. Very courageous on Stern's part.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Oh crap, we might have to give Rarehero a sedative to bring him down from the ego boost.

I guess I shouldn't mention I laughed pretty heartily at FG last night either, then.

#49 10 years ago

I guess I shouldn't mention I laughed pretty heartily at FG last night either, then.

Aw, thanks man....AV Club gave it a C- lol....glad someone liked it

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOTRs is more than ten years old. Great game (I would love to own one), but I think the hobbit is going to be compared to whatever Sterns late year release is this year.

A ten year old game ranked #7 says something the new games get a lot of love but over time it fades check the rankings when TH is ten.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-th and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.