(Topic ID: 2786)

LOTR vs. SM

By smassa

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 13 years ago

Just wanted to get some of your guys opinions on the 2 games. Ive had SM since 07' & recently purchased a LOTR LE & to me SM seems all in all the better game. Maybe it doesnt have quite the depth that LOTR has but the ramp shots are much cleaner & it seems to flow much faster & the shots do rattle around the loops nearly as much as LOTR.

I really like the Super Hero final mode on SM & even the Battle Royal is a fun mini wizard mode.

Also I have a ? about "there & back again" mode on LOTR....Is this a timed mode or is it supposed to end once the ball is lost? For some reason on my game it just ends abruptly without a countdown like some of the other modes.

I was also finally able to complete the Fellowship of the Ring multiball tonite & it was a very fun and challenging mode but for some reason the way the ball clanks around the loops often not making it at all sometimes as it bounces of the sides of the switch to the right ramp seems like not a very well thought out design. Plus the fact that more then half my shots to the right tower bounce right out and dont register as a completed shot can get very frustrating. Anyone put anything back there to help dampen the ball as it goes flying into the scoop?

All in all both are very nice pins & since they are the top 2 rated Stern games in the rankings I was just looking for some input from those who own both or have played them quite a bit.

I'm debating selling or trading my LOTR & trying to pick up an AFM but am still kinda on the fence about wether I should or not.

#3 13 years ago

Dont get me wrong I like both of them if just seems like the ball moves a hell of a lot smoother on SM then it does on LOTR even on solid shots.

The right ramp on LOTR doesnt give me as much trouble as the outter loop shots. The right loop often clanks into wither the outer side of the switch on the right ramp entrance (seems this could have been a very good place for some playfield metal guides) & the left loop I guess is just frustrating cause of all the rejected shots. I will have to look into some kind of dampening device to help that out.

I'd agree that getting to the wizard mode is quite a bit easier on SM but it is a very challenging mode to rack up a good score on. I guess its not fair to compare the wizard modes cause like you I have not made it to valinor yet either. I just seem to spend more time playing SM or CV then I do on LOTR even though its the newest addition to my collection.

SC what about the "there & Back again" mode on LOTR.....Do you know if its a timed mode or does it end when your ball drains?

#5 13 years ago

On a side note SC....how do you like your Corvette pin? I had a Vette in the past & was always thinking about picking up a Vette pin but never found the right deal. How good is the gameplay?

#8 13 years ago

Ahhh that makes sense then....Just the abrupt end to TABA really seems like something could have been added to let you know its coming up. A decent mode but nothing special. Destroy the Ring is cool but again isnt that hard to complete. I guess with it being a timed Champion REcord it makes it more interesting to see how fast you can complete it.

I'll have to wait & see what Valinor brings to the table but none o the Wizard modes seem as well thought out as Super Hero mode on SM especailly once you start to get deeper into it & Sandman & Doc Ock start to move up & down to block the shots.

Guess i'll have to keep at it unless someone has a nice AFM they wanna trade for a LOTR LE.....(=

#11 13 years ago

I know what you mean GP. I wouldnt say I hate the game I guess I was expecting alot more given all the raves it received from everyone who has it.

I dont regret buying it but I guess I would'nt call it untouchable if the right offer or trade came along. I guess i'm one of those guys who feels a game doesnt have to be super deep to be very enjoyable. Pins like CV & SM arent the deepest out there but are a couple of the most fun that i've come across over the years.

#17 13 years ago

A friend of mine had a mint AFM I had played many games on it before he moved out of town. Its an amazing game & if the right one came along i'd pull the trigger. Ive played more LOTR & its started to grow on me a lil. Completed The fellowship multiball & Almost completed There & Back again.

I think I may have started Valinor since right after completing Fellowship multiball it went into a mode I hadnt seen before but as I looked up to see what was going on i lost track of the ball & it drained. Was pretty pissed about that. Its a very good game for sure just a lot of the quirky ball clanks you get on it still have me favoring SM a bit more since as stated above the shots just flow together sooo smooth & I enjoy the Super Hero wizard mode even though I keep blowing it once its started & have never had over a 100 mil score on it yet.

I guess all n all both very good games but the little things seems to keep SM just a nose infront of LOTR.

2 weeks later
#23 13 years ago

I will say this about LOTR....it has grown on me a little bit & Fellowship multiball is now one of my favorite Multiball modes of any pin & destroy the ring with its timed record theme really puts you under the gun to not miss any shots if you wanna get a great time. My best time is 41 seconds and that felt like I hardly missed a shot. It is growing on me but If I had to part with one i'd still keep SM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-sm?tu=smassa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.