• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GoldenBear
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all,

Quick question for anyone who cares to comment. I'm wondering what people think of LotR relative to a Williams Indiana Jones? I know LotR is obviously the deeper game, but I have TSPP and TZ to fill that niche. I'm guessing IJ is the faster player, which might be good for mixing things up. Also, what do people think price-wise? Not so much in the "oh, one goes for this much, and the other goes for this much" sort of way, but if you had the two side by side in the same shape, which goes for more? It seems depending on condition, they kind of float around that same price point. Just curious on this one. Thanks in advance.

Luke

#2 10 years ago

A super nice IJ is worth a little more than a super nice LOTR.

Is it possible that you can get both? I'd buy both in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

#3 10 years ago

I own them both. IJ is faster but I wouldn't say it's a world of difference. As far as depth goes, I wouldn't say that Indy isn't particularly shallow either, there's plenty to do.

If you like the Indiana jones movies, the themes of the three good ones are incorporated into the game very well.

As far as price, they are fairly close. It's easier to find a HUO LOTR, so I would say in equal condition the Indy would be slightly more.

I personally prefer LOTR, but they are both great games, you can't go wrong with either.

Edit: I see you already have IJ. LOTR is awesome but I'm too tired to type all kinds of shit about it. Good luck!

#4 10 years ago

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, and a bump back to the top for anyone else who's up this morning.

Luke

#5 10 years ago

limited play on IJ but I have put several hours on it over the last year. I own a LOTR. I think LOTR is the best pinball game out there. So much to do, so hard to get there. got to "there and back" last night for only the 4th time. Valinor may never be reached! lol I do love the theme but I loved the IJ movies too. Dont think it (IJ) comes close in comparison. for the money: LOTR by far , as I see them listed in the low 4s all the time.

#6 10 years ago

Hey Luke

I'm up! I own both. Different games for sure, but both awesome in their own right. I find LotR a little more 'flowy' I guess, minus the PotD. Little less stopping, no vid modes, etc.

As far as faster, it would depend on your set up I guess. My LotR is fairly steep, so when you hit those orbits/ramps, that ball comes whipping back. I find IJ slower personally, it being a wide body, it's a little floaty.

I paid more for my IJ than I did my HUO LotR. My IJ is cherry though. I did not hesitate to put LotR on my route, where as IJ will never see day light again.

Make another trip up man! Two more pins being added to the route tonight!

#7 10 years ago

I agree that if you have these two in equal condition, the IJ should sell for more.

I am a Williams / Bally girl all day long, every day of the year - but I prefer LOTR over IJ by quite a margin. I think an LOTR would be a great contrast to a TZ.

You should just pick the one you like more. That's the right way to make this decision.

#8 10 years ago

I own IJ, LOTR didn't make the cut in my collection. I hated the theme, so that had something to do with it. The biggest problem with LOTR are those 30 minute games. Games would take so long, you almost have to plan just to play a game. My game is standard everything, pitch, difficulty, 3 balls etc.

Also, the path of the dead is just terrible. With all that being said, LOTR really is a great game, just not for me.

However, IJ is probably my favorite game. The best thing IJ has going for it are the modes. There are a ton of them and I'd say 10 of the 12 are fun/relevant. Unlike games like TZ and AF that have a bunch of modes in which most of them are either just adding points, or not worth playing in any way.

Plus, the wizard mode in IJ beatable so that's a big bonus for me, unlike lost in the zone.

Comparing IJ to LOTR, IMO:

-Theme: IJ by far
-Gameplay: tie
-Rules: LOTR
-Accessability: IJ by far (non pinheads hated LOTR)
-Toys: IJ by far (ballrog was more annoying than anything, not worth anything)
-Flow: LOTR but not by much (IJ's big knock is the time it takes to feed from the pops)
-Wizard Mode: LOTR (IJ's wizard mode is fantastic, but LOTR's are really fantastic)

Overall though, IJ by a mile for me.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The biggest problem with LOTR are those 30 minute games. Games would take so long, you almost have to plan just to play a game.

I found this as well, so I did something about it.

Steeper pitch, open out lanes, and increased the difficulty via software (especially for getting MB's). Really seemed to speed up games. If you have a 30 minute game on my set up, you are doing very well.

*Disclaimer* - I set it up this way on route. I would probably close the out lanes a bit at home, but keep the pitch and software the same.

#10 10 years ago

I had both, and traded LOTR for a NIB Transformers Decepticon LE last fall...my guess is LOTR is worth more than IJ based on that trade. Gameplay, I prefer IJ. Have had IJ for 14 years, LOTR was a little over 7 yrs. IJ does play faster...those ramps are like fire. I am a big fan of modes, and IJ ahs those too.

#11 10 years ago

Hey all,

Thanks for the input; much obliged.

Luke

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

limited play on IJ but I have put several hours on it over the last year. I own a LOTR. I think LOTR is the best pinball game out there. So much to do, so hard to get there. got to "there and back" last night for only the 4th time. Valinor may never be reached! lol I do love the theme but I loved the IJ movies too. Dont think it (IJ) comes close in comparison. for the money: LOTR by far , as I see them listed in the low 4s all the time.

ok, tied with wpt!

#13 10 years ago

The way LOTR is climbing in value, who knows, but I would say value around the same. I own both, and both are super deep, and tons of fun, so much so, I could go on about both forever...

#14 10 years ago

I think both are about the same in terms of value assuming both are nice. In terms of game play, LOTR kicks IJ to the curb. I've had two IJs over the years and I always get bored of it while I've had my HUO LOTR for many, many years.

IJ is slow. Even set up steep, somehow the ball just doesn't seem to get any action and there is one spot just in front of the pop bumpers where the ball gets caught and gently comes down. This happens on all IJs I have played.

The main MB doesn't seem to get harder, so starting MB over and over again is the way to get great points. That killed it for me.

The modes are ok, but nothing to write home about.

For me, LOTR is MUCH better than IJ, but your milage may vary.

Cheers,
Duane

#15 10 years ago

I've never understood where your dislike for IJ comes from Duane. It's one of those games I love coming around to. Mine is uber fast, and the slings mixed with the targets everywhere whips the ball around low violently, at least on mine. I love all the modes, even the vid modes, which I am usually not a fan of (the grail one is the weakest).

I think the POA is the best used and most diverse mini PF. It's used in many modes, for extra balls, and the stacking of points cashing out in the pit is a great risk/reward mini mode. LED'd it looks phenomenal, given the greens in the GI.

The MB is somewhat easy to get loaded up, but that was a trick for most games, to have an easy MB for non-pinheads to keep them interested. The real key is scoring the super jackpot over and over if you can get that far, and that isn't easy.

I love everything about IJ. I love everything about LOTR as well. It would be cool if the POTD worked like the POA, but there is also something to the randomness on the POTD, once you get the bounce back protector from Pinbits that is.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I think the POA is the best used and most diverse mini PF. It's used in many modes, for extra balls, and the stacking of points cashing out in the pit is a great risk/reward mini mode. LED'd it looks phenomenal, given the greens in the GI.

Atomic, I need your help. I am about to finish my Indy restoration, and I am definitely LED'ing controlled lamps, but I need advice on the GI. Are you simply replacing the 44/47's with Warm White frosted bulbs all over? Or something different? Any specific vendor / bulb type you recommend?

For relevance to the OP's question: I have both pins, and both are keepers. LOTR contends for the #1 spot of all time on my list. IJ is definitely top 10, perhaps top 5. For any newcomers Indy is the best, most alluring game. It gets played by guests far more than LoTR or TZ.

#17 10 years ago

Have owned my IJ for about a month, and cannot even fathom this game being "slow". I have mine steep, and it plays like a rocket ship, especially coming out of those dueling ramps...it's insanely, ridiculously fast.

#18 10 years ago

Under the green areas, in the back, front and left side I used either super greens or HP greens, as under hidden areas.

#19 10 years ago

I own both but would give up LOTR before IJ. My two cents.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I own both but would give up LOTR before IJ. My two cents.

I just recently gave up and traded my LOTR for a really nice unfaded IJ. It hasn't sunken in yet but I do miss my LOTR and how forgiving it is in terms of making all the shots and starting modes compared to IJ. I have been playing IJ everyday since I got it and trying to get a consistent feel for all the shots. That damn right ramp is a killer, I can never seem to make it when I need to. I can see how this game can be love or hate because if you ain't making your shots you are getting nothing but posts and sling shot action.

#21 10 years ago

I had a lot of trouble with that right ramp shot until I cleaned the optos on the left flipper board (the ones activated by the flipper button). Not that it's an easy shot now, but I have the power to make the shot far more consistently.

#22 10 years ago

IJ all the way....

#23 10 years ago

I loved the graphics and the sound bytes on IJ, but unfortunately the gameplay was annoying so I sold it. I had nightmares about all of the action on the lower part of the playfield and the resulting SDTM shots. The upper part of the playfield was just too slow. Nonetheless, it is a work of art and was tough to sell.

Even though the graphics on LOTR is somewhat coarse and not remotely as nice, I still own it for its superior gameplay...and I generally don't like games that take an hour to finish, so that is saying something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1,419.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

14,000 (OBO)
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-ij-comparable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.