6%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
GoT_Dragon.jpg
img_1684.jpg
LOTR_BACKGLASS_50.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kklank.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

It's an early comparison that's for sure. But just for fun because a fellow Pinsider requested it, which machine will be better a couple years from now? I know it's a stretch but fun for a discussion. LOTR is a masterpiece but GOTLE could be a contender. They're both Fan layouts. LOTR has the path of the walking dead in which you don't do too much and GOTLE has an upper playfield with an interactive dragon. Both games when code is complete will be crazy deep. Lighting on LOTR is warm incandescents and GOTLE has a light show that is insane and Bright! Some people hate this and others love!
Place your vote or don't. Steve Richie will probably get a kick out of this thread!

#6 8 years ago

I absolutely love LOTR. Game is crazy deep. If you've reached Valinor on 3 balls, you are one helluva player. I've been sooo damn close but that's makes it special for me.
GOTLE feels like LOTR on crack. The light so on blackwater multi is insane. The funny thing is that this is my only complaint. The flashers are so bright, I can't see what I'm doing and it's very stressful. This reminds me of STLE which I eventually got rid of. But some players love it. Besides that, the house modes and combined house modes with the similiar fan layout as LOTR illustrates how endless and deep this machine will go. Everybody knocks the upper playfield but the code is probably nowhere complete to judge it. Overall, IMHO, you can tell this one may be very special whereas TWD, I never saw it coming. My money is LOTR right now but GOTLE is really good. Great job MR. Richie!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Early comparison but lotr is better but I've done everything there needs to do in lotr and have no desire to ever play it again so I'd rather own GOTLE.

That means you reached Valinor. I bow down to you sir. Well done. I'm envious.

#12 8 years ago

There's no ass kissing here. Wait until you put 15-20 games in a row on this machine. You will be wired if you have a really good game. The House modes and "combined" House modes are brilliant. With the fan layout, the balance of shots from each flipper is really good unlike Kiss for example. It seriously feels like LOTR on crack.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Let me break it down. In 12 years, Stern has gone backwards, not forwards. Seriously, what modern Stern has nearly as much going on it as LOTR and TSPP? And yes, LOTR artwork is MILES ahead of GOT. Miles. I'm just saying GOT came out and it had the same old same old layout. The upper playfield is HUGE and kills the flow of the pro. Those that say it doesn't are just fooling themselves. But what really puts LOTR ahead of GOT is theme integration. When you look at the LOTR playfield, you feel like you are in Middle Earth and inside the journey. GOT? It's the worse playfield integration of all time. Yes, all time. What a huge letdown. People keep justifying it, but come on, a bunch of cogs and sand? How lame.

I disagree completely on theme integration. The sound and lighting on GOT is amazing. For example, when "winter is coming" starts on got, the lighting completely changes to a very dark setting with the music and it very cool. Black water multi starts "The Hound" form GoT yells Blackwater Multiball!! It's awesome. Now I agree the some of the colored LEDs are crazy bright and don't necessarily belong but the theme integration is solid.

#20 8 years ago

I'm not looking to justify something to anyone. Just saying it's fun and fast.
And man this could be a deep machine just like LOTR. No doubt about it.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

LOTR is way better unless you like GOT better, then that title is better. What about LOTR LE though, now it's confusing. Just buy a RCT, will make you forget about those titles unless you get a MET premium/pro/LE, then that might be better than TRON premium unless you like STLE better than ST pro.

Speaking of confusing, I wish the pinside top 100 didn't have 2 or 3 models of one machine in the rankings. Makes no sense to me.
Also, if LOTR had the modern color changing LEDs, it would be really interesting to see. Someone on Pinside should do this!

#53 8 years ago

I never actually voted for either machine until now. For me the nod goes to LOTR because of the light show on GOT. It's so harsh on the eyes and sometimes blinding when you are hitting jackpots. I don't understand this. Some critics will say that's part of the game and it's more of a challenge this way but this just seems over the top. STLE had the same problem for me and for that reason I sold it. I hope stern makes it so you can adjust this in the settings. Otherwise the game is very very good. With the limited code, it's better than any Stern I've had that was new except for MEtallica, Acdc and Tron which I would say is even. I don't understand why Stern started to go with these big flasher shows to blind the crap out of you. ( it started with STLE). Acdc and didn't have it. It's strange......

#66 8 years ago

Okay I just got Castle Multiball on gotle and it's a pretty cool 6 ball Multiball. Castle Multi is only achieved on the Upper Playfield. Which I had no idea. It gets better and better.
I'm also in line for a Hobbit and I think in the end these 3 machines lined up side by side by side will be outstanding.
GOTLE seems to have shorter ball times than LOTR at times because the ramps are moved closer ro the flippers compared to LOTR. So if you're off, you're banging posts and can have some crazy quick drains. If you're on, the shots are a little easier imho. It's interesting. No doubt .
Hobbit could be even better with those random bash toys(like MM trolls). Aesthetically, it wins hands down because of that jumbo bad ass lcd.
Edited.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This gets mentioned a lot, and I just want to address one point of logic. When I walk into my game room, I certainly plan on spending a lot more than half an hour in there. Let's call it an hour minimum. What's the difference if that hour is spent playing 2 games of LOTR or 27 games on IM? It's pinball time, whatever game you're in. Why such a hurry from everyone to finish a game?

There really isn't a difference but I also understand where boobs is coming from. LOTR takes a a lot of strategy and energy and sometimes I'm just not up for the long game. Other times, it's perfect!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kklank.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-gotle-which-is-better?tu=kklank and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.