6%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
GoT_Dragon.jpg
img_1684.jpg
LOTR_BACKGLASS_50.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Both games are sleepers

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Seriously, what modern Stern has nearly as much going on it as LOTR and TSPP?

Tron LE
ACDC LE/Premium
Metallica LE/Premium
Star Trek LE/Premium

#53 8 years ago

I never actually voted for either machine until now. For me the nod goes to LOTR because of the light show on GOT. It's so harsh on the eyes and sometimes blinding when you are hitting jackpots. I don't understand this. Some critics will say that's part of the game and it's more of a challenge this way but this just seems over the top. STLE had the same problem for me and for that reason I sold it. I hope stern makes it so you can adjust this in the settings. Otherwise the game is very very good. With the limited code, it's better than any Stern I've had that was new except for MEtallica, Acdc and Tron which I would say is even. I don't understand why Stern started to go with these big flasher shows to blind the crap out of you. ( it started with STLE). Acdc and didn't have it. It's strange......

#54 8 years ago

Not even close, lotr. Better art by far, sound gameplay etc. Best stern ever made.

Although I do think got is one of the better new sterns, Id put it next to startrek almost, just with not as good sounds and siezure inducing light shows. But I bet that will change, has some cool Ideas for interaction.

#55 8 years ago

Hobbit is going to make both of these games look quaint ....

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Agreed. I heard last night that they have started shipping? That's awesome.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I never actually voted for either machine until now. For me the nod goes to LOTR because of the light show on GOT. It's so harsh on the eyes and sometimes blinding when you are hitting jackpots. I don't understand this. Some critics will say that's part of the game and it's more of a challenge this way but this just seems over the top. STLE had the same problem for me and for that reason I sold it. I hope stern makes it so you can adjust this in the settings. Otherwise the game is very very good. With the limited code, it's better than any Stern I've had that was new except for Metallica, Acdc and Tron which I would say is even. I don't understand why Stern started to go with these big flasher shows to blind the crap out of you. ( it started with STLE). Acdc and didn't have it. It's strange......

Gary says the brighter the game , the better the earnings on location.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from AJ51:

I think its too early. A great pulling of someone's chain though. What if? GOT's games code is years away from being completed? What if? Stern will be adding new code to add even more depth as the show, characters and books continue to come out? How cool would it be do have different game play added to an existing game that makes it seem fresh and new? What if I'm not thinking properly due to no sleep?

I almost expect this to happen. Currently the dragons are the final battle. What if the end of the books turns out to be all about the whitewalkers. Why can't each house have multiple modes? I feel a lot could be added to this game, and the shouldn't get finished until the story is.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yup. TH will blow them away..... Right up to the point when you hit the start button. :-;

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you're talking about artwork, yes. But the Hobbit is going to make both games look ridiculously fast as well.

Quoted from lowepg:

Yup. TH will blow them away..... Right up to the point when you hit the start button. :-;

My point exactly.

Look...I'm in a good position to address this. I have a souped-up LOTR (shaker, LE code, etc.), I have a GOT LE coming next week (I hope), and I had a Hobbit preorder had played it numerous times.

I love my LOTR. But every time I start a game, I know it's going to take me nearly half an hour to finish it. The insanely long ball times are nice for newbs because it feels like they're accomplishing something. But if you're a decent player, you better pull up a chair because you'll be staying a while. My machine is the least-played machine in my house (after Congo), most likely because of this. We really love it, but nobody wants to play it.

GOT LE looks amazing after the streaming video I watched from McSirTuna last night. The light show is incredible, the upper playfield looks like you really have to be careful with shots (rather than just hitting ramps repeatedly), and the collecting gold to buy stuff / RPG element of the game looks to make this a game with some legs down the road.

The Hobbit is clearly one of the most beautiful games ever made. It's a stunner inside and out. But I wonder if the people here touting it so highly ever played a game on it. In the end, it simply wasn't for me. Not enough shots, and the shots that were there were S-L-O-W. And I played it in four locations. ("It's not set up correctly!" I was told every time. Really? Didn't JJP or their reps set it up?)

Each game has its strengths. But I'm looking forward to spending time on GOT.

#61 8 years ago

This thread should be called: Too Early To Tell Predictions! First someone predicts GOT LE is better than LOTR. Now people are saying Hobbit is better than both. We're all dumb.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This thread should be called: Too Early To Tell Predictions! First someone predicts GOT LE is better than LOTR. Now people are saying Hobbit is better than both. We're all dumb.

...and I said all three have their strengths and weaknesses. So speak for yourself.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

By the way, Kaneda...if you haven't seen this, it's relevant to this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-did-i-miss-the-rumor-page-stern-whats-next#post-2834867

And look at my post a couple posts later. I really am a fan of yours!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just don't say its better than LOTR. That's just inane.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I almost expect this to happen. Currently the dragons are the final battle. What if the end of the books turns out to be all about the whitewalkers. Why can't each house have multiple modes? I feel a lot could be added to this game, and the shouldn't get finished until the story is.

I agree. If so could be a great marketing tool for future machines that Movies/stories are not finished during time of production.

#66 8 years ago

Okay I just got Castle Multiball on gotle and it's a pretty cool 6 ball Multiball. Castle Multi is only achieved on the Upper Playfield. Which I had no idea. It gets better and better.
I'm also in line for a Hobbit and I think in the end these 3 machines lined up side by side by side will be outstanding.
GOTLE seems to have shorter ball times than LOTR at times because the ramps are moved closer ro the flippers compared to LOTR. So if you're off, you're banging posts and can have some crazy quick drains. If you're on, the shots are a little easier imho. It's interesting. No doubt .
Hobbit could be even better with those random bash toys(like MM trolls). Aesthetically, it wins hands down because of that jumbo bad ass lcd.
Edited.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I love my LOTR. But every time I start a game, I know it's going to take me nearly half an hour to finish it.

This gets mentioned a lot, and I just want to address one point of logic. When I walk into my game room, I certainly plan on spending a lot more than half an hour in there. Let's call it an hour minimum. What's the difference if that hour is spent playing 2 games of LOTR or 27 games on IM? It's pinball time, whatever game you're in. Why such a hurry from everyone to finish a game?

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This gets mentioned a lot, and I just want to address one point of logic. When I walk into my game room, I certainly plan on spending a lot more than half an hour in there. Let's call it an hour minimum. What's the difference if that hour is spent playing 2 games of LOTR or 27 games on IM? It's pinball time, whatever game you're in. Why such a hurry from everyone to finish a game?

There really isn't a difference but I also understand where boobs is coming from. LOTR takes a a lot of strategy and energy and sometimes I'm just not up for the long game. Other times, it's perfect!

#69 8 years ago

Kklank is correct. I'm a really busy guy, and I seldom get a half hour window to play my games. (If I have a window like that, I usually fire up the Xbox.) Sometimes I play a game just before I'm supposed to go somewhere...and you should see the look on my wife's face when I'm having an epic game and making us late. Not cool, man...

So it's not so much about being in a hurry to finish a game, just that I only have so much of my time budgeted for this stuff...and that game will chew it up all by itself.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sometimes I play a game just before I'm supposed to go somewhere...and you should see the look on my wife's face when I'm having an epic game and making us late. Not cool, man...

Sooo true. Check my latest post in the LOTR club. Started LOTR with 15 mins before I had to go to the airport. How do you think that turned out??! Curse you LOTR long ball times!!!!!

#71 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Or Ben Carson should just sew a zipper on your mouth until we all know for sure. Which will be probably 5 years or so...

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Difference is on LOTR my beer gets warm between sips and after a marathon game I'm spent. I still love it though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-vs-gotle-which-is-better/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.