Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BoJo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi there, I have a LOTR with the upgraded coils, they seem WAY too powerful. This game is going out in the wild and I don't want everything broken.

I have heard there is a flipper strength adjustment, as far as I can see there is not, apart from the 3 settings that the manual says don't screw around with.

There is a coil pulse setting that you can put to soft, but that effects all the coils.

I'm thinking of downgrading back to the factory coils. Anyone have any ideas? Any operators out there with some advise?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Those are the three settings you have to change. I don't remember what the recommended settings are but I bet you can find them in a search for this same topic. The coils are only strong for the first ball or two when cold, then they settle down to a good strength once warmed up.

#3 7 years ago

There is a medium strength coil option available...

ebay.com link: New Stern Pinball Medium Power Coil Lord of the Rings Guns Roses sleeve
ebay.com link: New Stern Pinball Medium Power Coil Lord of the Rings LE with sleeve

They're made by Andrew Barney (APB Enterprises), who is a Pinside member.

Make sure you get the right model for your specific game (Std or LE).

#4 7 years ago

Take them out and put the stock one back in. I had to do it to mine WAY too powerful.

#5 7 years ago

I put the medium strength ones in mine and they are perfect, much better than the stock ones, I would be afraid of the high strength ones.

#6 7 years ago

You're better off with a fan on the normal coils and properly rebuild them and it'll play fine

#8 7 years ago

The upgraded coils are for those that don't know how to rebuild flippers. Even the stock coils are super strong and over powered. Someone goes and upgrades them and then someone else rebuilds the flippers properly and the coils are ridiculous after. Put the stock coils in and read vid1900's guide on how to rebuild flippers and you're good.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Hi there, I have a LOTR with the upgraded coils, they seem WAY too powerful. This game is going out in the wild and I don't want everything broken.

For the most part the upgraded coils are a little too strong to fully fix with flipper strength adjustment but you can get some of the way there. As you found out any reduction in flipper power also results in a reduction in power to, at least, the Gollum VUK.

There are 3 flipper adjustments, good luck!

FLIPPER ADJ 1: 05-40 - Default 10 - Minimum fire time
FLIPPER ADJ 2: 40-60 - Default 50 - Max fire time
FLIPPER ADJ 3: 00-10 - Default 03 - Fire time after EOS

#11 7 years ago

here is where the upgraded coils come into play.. when you are doing the 30 minute plus games. the coils don't have the fade that original did

#12 7 years ago

The medium strength coils seem like a good middle ground. I will try them out. Thanks for all the advise guys!

5 months later
#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

The medium strength coils seem like a good middle ground. I will try them out. Thanks for all the advise guys!

Would love some feedback on this, how did they work out?

Andrew

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

here is where the upgraded coils come into play.. when you are doing the 30 minute plus games. the coils don't have the fade that original did

Exactly. Trying to make the ring shot with weak flippers is the worst. I disagree with the people saying the flippers just need rebuilt because I have experienced it on NIB games when everything was brand new. Every machine will play differently and there might not be a single solution for everyone. My LE only has a few hundred plays and the upgraded coils never made them feel too strong however they still have enough power to make the ring shot on long games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-upgrade-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.