Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-692.jpg
Stern Flash.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi all. I've updated the display and game ROMs in my machine, and I'm getting no joy.

I'm pretty sure they're good, because they were tested in a friends machine, and were working fine there.

Display lights up with "Stern Lord of the Rings", then goes black then repeats. That's as far as it gets. The machine doesn't seem to boot up. I can't access newbies etc.

I tried unplugging and removing batteries.

Any suggestions??

I'm installing the 10.02 ROMs in a standard.

#2 9 years ago

Make sure all the chips are seated and positioned correctly - if they are ok, then check back here.

#3 9 years ago

Are the 10.02 for a shaker motor LE ? Then you need a pal chip too.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago

I know this may be obvious, but are you 100% sure that a chip leg isn't bent?

I may be wrong but, I remember that my first pal chip was bad and 10.02 ran fine without the pal.

#5 9 years ago

Also you are doing both correct? the CPU and Display Roms? And you WILL need the LE Pal chip for version 10.02 to work.

#6 9 years ago

Okay to add, OS8 is only needed if you are going to add the shaker motor option. If you are not sure of your version, count the blinks at LED 1 on boot up. If it's 4 then it's OS4, if it's 8 blinks then OS8.

You will however for sure need the LOTR LE Pal chip to run version 10.02 and you should be doing both CPU and Display.

#7 9 years ago

Yes. I swapped the pal chip, and the display and game ROMs.

#8 9 years ago

Just for the hell of it, what is the OS ver?

#9 9 years ago

L204 is doing a double blink constantly, and L200 is solid on except for doing a double off blink??!!

Does that mean anything to anybody.

BTW. Weather or not I get this sorted, I REALLY appreciate all the speedy responses. Pinside rules!

Thanks

#10 9 years ago

try the old chips if you still have them, lets narrow down, boards, connectors, chips and OS

#11 9 years ago

Just tried the old chips on a hunch. Same result. Not booting up. Same flashing LEDs

#12 9 years ago

Ok now with the old chips installed reseat all the ribbon cables especially the one to the display driver board.

If your light on the IO driver board is flashing and not going solid at L204 you are in constant reset.

#13 9 years ago

Check your chip at U210 next to the LED L204 on the IO driver board, just make sure you don't have it in backwards or a leg not seated in the socket.

#14 9 years ago

Found this:

If L200 is lit on the CPU board, then the CPU board is running. The last LED to look at is L204 on the Power Driver board.

If this LED is not lit, it's either because the CPU is in reset (L200 isn't lit) or the voltage is below 4.75v. If L204 is pulsing on and off (CPU L200 lit), this means that the watchdog on the Power Driver board is not being fed from the CPU board. Thing to check there is the ribbon cable and connectors from the CPU CN1 to the Power Driver board J1.

#15 9 years ago

Here is the complete post on this from Viperrwk and few months ago but I think yours is more of a CPU seating / connector issue as outlined above.

"In order for a WS board to boot, on the Power Driver board (the one below the CPU board) you need at least the L2 (5v) and L203 (12v) LEDs to be on. That's because the 12v feeds the regulator for the 5v so both are necessary to have the voltages present for the board to boot. If these are not lit solidly, the CPU will be held in reset and never start.

On the CPU board, at least L201 has to be lit solidly for the board to boot. If it is, it shows that the 5v has made it from the power driver board and is powering the logic on the CPU board.

Having LED2 lit simply means that the 5v that made it to the board has been regulated to 3.3v for the Xilinx for the sound and LED1 shows that the sound section is running.

If you have all those LEDs lit the next thing to look for are L200 on the CPU board and L204 on the Power Driver board.

L200 only lites when two conditions are met: the voltage is above 4.75v and the EPROM bank select signal is running. If L201 is lit but not L200, you have a problem somewhere on the CPU board - either ROM, RAM, CPU, sockets, battery damage, other board damage, etc. on the CPU board.

If L200 is lit on the CPU board, then the CPU board is running. The last LED to look at is L204 on the Power Driver board.

If this LED is not lit, it's either because the CPU is in reset (L200 isn't lit) or the voltage is below 4.75v. If L204 is pulsing on and off (CPU L200 lit), this means that the watchdog on the Power Driver board is not being fed from the CPU board. Thing to check there is the ribbon cable and connectors from the CPU CN1 to the Power Driver board J1."

viperrwk

#16 9 years ago

Checked all ribbon cables. Checked chip at U210. I never touched that one, so it couldn't be in backwards.

#17 9 years ago

Ok. L201 ans LED 1 and 2 are solid. All cables checked and reseated

Strange. I put in new ROMs that I was fairly certain worked. Current error. Can't go back to old chips now. I must have mucked something up. That's muck with an "f".

#18 9 years ago

U210 is the CPU ROM

#19 9 years ago

Oh sorry. There is a small chip beside L204 that is also labeled U210

#20 9 years ago

Okay when you are looking at U210 ( CPU ROM ) the notch in the chip should be going towards the bottom of the board, not up towards the batteries

#21 9 years ago

Did you touch the U213 chip at all, the Pal chip? That is just left of the CPU chip, also notch toward bottom of the board.

#22 9 years ago

Ok. I'd made an error in swapping back the chips. I'd forgotten to swap the boot flash chip at U212 as well.

Now that I've done that L200 lights solid. But L204 is now blinking along with every playfield lamp

#23 9 years ago

Yes. I was careful about chip direction. Switched Pal chip too.

#24 9 years ago

In addition the display controller board, the U5 chip should have the notch going toward the bottom of the board as well, if the board is upside down because you laid the display on the glass to to pull it, the U5 chip is then upside down and the notch should now be on top when reading all printed text upside down.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Ok. I'd made an error in swapping back the chips. I'd forgotten to swap the boot flash chip at U212 as well.
Now that I've done that L200 lights solid. But L204 is now blinking along with every playfield lamp

wait, you flashed the OS? Did you move the jumpers back?

#26 9 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean. I replaced a cop labeled OS 8 Bootflash, with a chip I was given to replace it.

#27 9 years ago

yes but jumpers had to be moved to flash it, then you put back the boot flash chip and move the jumpers back again to their original spots and boot the game up

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

yes but jumpers had to be moved to flash it, then you put back the boot flash chip and move the jumpers back again to their original spots and boot the game up

Ok. No, I didn't do any of that. Just swapped the chip. Maybe that's the start of my problems!

#29 9 years ago

Ok one sec let me find the instructions

maybe it can be re flashed.

#30 9 years ago

Atmel Flash Memory Installation Procedure (on CPU/Sound Board II only)
A Bootflash O/S 8 Sound EPROM (512K) (Checksum $8F2E) is required for this installation.

Step 1: Turn Pinball Game OFF (remove backglass for procedure). Reference the above CPU/Sound Board II Component Layout drawing for the locations of U7, JP2, JP3, JP4 and LED1.

Step 2: Remove the current Sound EPROM at U7 and replace with Bootflash O/S 8 Sound EPROM in its’ place.

Step 3: Move the jumpers at locations JP2, JP3 & JP4 to the opposite position.
Jumper JP2 covers RIGHT 2 pins move to LEFT 2 pins

Jumper JP3 covers BOTTOM 2 pins move to TOP 2 pins

Jumper JP4 covers TOP 2 pins move to BOTTOM 2 pins

Step 4: Turn Pinball Game ON. Wait for LED1 to start flashing continuously (this indicates flash procedure was successful). Note: This usually takes a few minutes.

Step 5: Turn Pinball Game OFF.

Step 6: Remove Bootflash O/S 8 EPROM at U7 and replace with original EPROM you had just previously removed.

Step 7: I M P O R T A N T ! ! >>> Move Jumpers JP2, JP3, JP4 back to their original positions.
(JP2 = RIGHT, JP3 = BOTTOM & JP4 = TOP)

Step 8: Turn Pinball Game ON. Watch LED1 upon power-up. The LED1 will flicker then flash 8 times.

#31 9 years ago

diagram:

Stern Flash.jpgStern Flash.jpg

#32 9 years ago

The flash chip is at U7 not U12, if you didn't get a chip that is for an OS8 flash then the above don't apply.

#33 9 years ago

Ok well then... I see where I went horribly awry here. I installed the OS 8 Bootflash chip in to the U212 chip position. Don't ask me why??!! I thought it was supposed to go there.

How badly have I messed up here??

#34 9 years ago

put the original U12 chip back, get the flash chip and install it at U7, move the said jumpers go through the moves and see if it flashes the chip successfully with constant flashing at the end. Then put back the original U7 chip and MOVE THE JUMPERS BACK (lol) then power up and boot up the game and lets see.

#35 9 years ago

I tried that. I'm wondering if the constant resetting of the machine is parenting the flashing from occurring.

This particular rabbit hole sucks. I really appreciate all of your attempts to help.

#36 9 years ago

Led1 remains solid on. L200 and L204 continue to flash.

#37 9 years ago

you tried the flash as outlined above with the proper chips in their locations? waited to see constant flashing then shut down and move jumpers back and reinstall the original u7 chip again?

#38 9 years ago

put the original U12 chip back, get the flash chip and install it at U7, move the said jumpers go through the moves and see if it flashes the chip successfully with constant flashing at the end. Then put back the original U7 chip and MOVE THE JUMPERS BACK (lol) then power up and boot up the game and lets see.

Buddy...you're everything that's right about Pinside. Keep up the good work! And I hope you're able to solve the issue, Maple!

#39 9 years ago

Yes. I tried that with all original chips back in. I think the resetting issue is preventing the flash from occurring. Just a hunch

#40 9 years ago

If led 200 is solid, that's good, if led 204 is pulsing that's a watchdog issue as outlined here:

If L204 is pulsing on and off (CPU L200 lit), this means that the watchdog on the Power Driver board is not being fed from the CPU board. Thing to check there is the ribbon cable and connectors from the CPU CN1 to the Power Driver board J1

Try those connectors again now, take them fully off and reseat them.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Buddy...you're everything that's right about Pinside. Keep up the good work! And I hope you're able to solve the issue, Maple!

Thanks, just trying to give back what I can when I can as others have done for me through the years.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No kidding!! Three cheers for DeathHimself!

#43 9 years ago

Hip Hip Hooray!

#44 9 years ago

Hip Hip Hooray!!

#45 9 years ago

Hip Hip Hooray!!!

#46 9 years ago

Sounds like you see something

#47 9 years ago

When all original chips are back in LED 200 is NOT solid. It's doing a double off blink.

#48 9 years ago

Sounds like you see something

I wish. I was simply praising your efforts. Still stuck here!!

#50 9 years ago

do you have a rom burner?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-update-trouble-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.