Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ssdobbins
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I noticed the balls in my LOTR were sticking together when locked. I figured the balls were magnetized, so I replaced them, twice now. I raised the playfield, emptied the trough, and placed a light weight washer on the trough and it sticks. The trough is obviously magnetized, which is magnetizing the balls. A new trough from Marco is $129, so I would like to demagnetize this trough if possible. I searched for help on google, and I have a monitor degausser, but it really isn't haven't an affect on the trough...the washer still sticks to it.

Has anybody come up with a quick and simple way to solve this?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

and I have a monitor degausser, but it really isn't haven't an affect on the trough...the washer still sticks to it.

Did you remove the ball trough to the game and do this ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Usually one of these guys will do the trick, but you might be experiencing a symptom of some other problem.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Usually one of these guys will do the trick, but you might be experiencing a symptom of some other problem.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

Won't fit/work on a Stern game. It's for games using the DMD era Williams ball trough.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

Oh darn, thanks for the tip. Is there no Stern version? Maybe DIY...

#6 5 years ago

I did remove the trough to degauss it. After playing with the degausser some more, I now have the trough to a point where the washer won't stick to it anywhere. I'm going to reinstall the trough, put new balls in the game, check all the grounds, and give it a go...unless there are any other suggestions???

#7 5 years ago

Try dropping it on your workbench or lightly hitting it with screw driver or something - try to get the metal to vibrate from impacts. Pretty sure I have heard that can demagnetize an object.

Obviously don't damage it... Could just be a wives tale though, lol.

1 month later
#8 5 years ago

I’m having the same issue with mine too the balls will not proceed down and will just hang up in the trough which halts the game and then it goes into ball search. There has to be some type of fix for this?!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Slingshot:

I’m having the same issue with mine too the balls will not proceed down and will just hang up in the trough which halts the game and then it goes into ball search. There has to be some type of fix for this?!

I used a degaussing coil and demagnetized the trough. Haven't had a problem again since my original post 2 months ago.

#10 5 years ago

Curious, what kind of balls are you using?

#11 5 years ago

I always buy my pinballs from Pinball Life.

#12 5 years ago

Carbon?

#13 5 years ago

Yes, I believe so.

1 year later
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I used a degaussing coil and demagnetized the trough. Haven't had a problem again since my original post 2 months ago.

Hey mmuglia - I need to demagnetize a Sega Twister trough. Can you describe how you used the degaussing coil to demagnetize the trough? Do you just run it through once? twice? as many times as it takes? I've never had this issue and I don't want to make it worse. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-trough-is-magnetized-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.