IMG_0189 (resized).JPG
IMG_0190 (resized).JPG
IMG_0188 (resized).JPG
IMG_0187 (resized).JPG
IMG_0186 (resized).JPG
IMG_0185 (resized).JPG
IMG_0184 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Been doing some research on why this is happening.

SYMPTOM: Left flipper intermittently will either drop (while crading, for instance) and re-hold, or flip-drop-and quickly reflip.

DIAGNOSIS: Been led to believe this has something to do with the hold coil.

THOUGHTS: The intermittent nature of it (meaning it doesn't happen every time you hit the left flipper button) seems to suggest some mechanical issue, like dirty contacts or something or even an unsoldered lug.

The issue is I'm still very much a newb when it comes to repairing games, though I have done a few (successful) repairs (replacing VUK switches; re-soldering some things; replaced a DMD).

Can anyone more experienced suggest an approach to troubleshooting this? I can put the game in diagnostic mode, but the coil seems to fire... and all that.

1) What should I try in the diagnostic mode and what should I look for?
2) Should I skip the diagnostic mode and either clean or check something?

It seems to me (bad eyes--I'm farsighted) that the soldered connections are OK, inspecting them by hand.

Anyone see any obvious things to check? (Photo evidence). (Can provide further photos if needed)

IMG_0184 (resized).JPGIMG_0184 (resized).JPGIMG_0185 (resized).JPGIMG_0185 (resized).JPG
IMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_0187 (resized).JPGIMG_0187 (resized).JPG
IMG_0188 (resized).JPGIMG_0188 (resized).JPGIMG_0190 (resized).JPGIMG_0190 (resized).JPGIMG_0189 (resized).JPGIMG_0189 (resized).JPG
Thank you!
Chad.

#2 7 years ago

Below are a few suggestions...

1] Clean the End Of Stroke (EOS) contacts on the coil switches and the cabinet flipper switches.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=995
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

2] Optimize the flipper adjustments in the LOTR software (V8.0 and higher).

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb151.pdf

3] In your photos, I don't see a capacitor attached to the cabinet flipper switches? Mine have ceramic disc capacitors attached, but I'm not sure if they were installed at the factory, or installed later by one of the previous owners? I understand the purpose of the capacitor is to reduce arcing and pitting on the switch contacts. See the links below for a similar setup on The Sopranos.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6889-01
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb156.pdf

I'm not sure if #3 above is a potential cause of your problem, but I thought I should mention it, just in case. Perhaps it will prompt someone else with more information to chime in?

Hope this helps. Good luck with your troubleshooting. Keep us posted on your progress.

#3 7 years ago

You don't need capacitors on The Flipper switches it's a low voltage signal to turn on the flipper coil so there will be no arcing like in older games where the full power of the flippers running to the flipper switch, at a minimum Reflow your coil lugs they don't look very good maybe one of the wires is making intermittent contact but it is not a "hold" coil problem as there are only two lugs to the coil, you may be losing a mosfet for the flipper coil or the flipper coil itself may be going bad, what you could do as a cheap way to test it and isolate some things without a meter is take the wires off of that coil and put them on the other flipper coil make sure you put the same color on the same side of the diode if the problem repeats itself on that side it has nothing to do with the coil I would look at intermittent contact in the wiring back to the board or at the driving mosfet

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys... I'll take a look at these things after work. I'll clean the contacts and check that PDF, as well as reflow solder. The mosfet thing may be a good lead. I do have a multimeter and would rather test with that then pull out the coil. I'm guessing there would be full power to the coil if I keep the coin door shut with the playfield up. Or should I just be testing for continuity?

Will also check the board. Should be one of those things, hopefully!

#5 7 years ago

Well, after running through the cleaning of the EOS switches and playing about 25 balls for well over an hour, there's been no issue. Thank you Razon and Wizewum (and Vid). The crisp dollar bill/EOS cleaning thing seems to have done the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-troubleshooting-intermittent-flipper-flutter-hold-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.