Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1208 (resized).JPG
IMG_1207 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Really stupid problem. On our LOTR, if you get a ball into the top right saucer, the game cannot seem to eject it strongly enough. It moves the ball about a half an inch to the left, right to the brink of the depression. But it can't get it over and out. What's extra weird is that if you keep the ball in there, it will keep weakly kicking it and the ball won't leave, BUT, if you go to test mode and fire the solenoid, it's strong enough to kick the ball out. Stumped on what to do. Tried changing the transistor, plunger, and coil. There's nothing left to change! But it's still not working. Anyone dealt with this before?

#2 5 years ago

Sounds mechanical in nature. I'm wondering if something isn't lined up properly with the saucer/switch.

Did this problem just appear out of nowhere? Had you done any other work or servicing lately?

#3 5 years ago

Sadly, I don't know if it came out of nowhere. It has been having a few problems with ejecting over the past year, but for the last 6 months it's been in the kind of dive that never calls us when something's wrong. I cleaned the playfield and replaced the batteries with a lithium one, but that's really all I've done.

#5 5 years ago

Top and bottom...

IMG_1207 (resized).JPGIMG_1207 (resized).JPG

IMG_1208 (resized).JPGIMG_1208 (resized).JPG

#6 5 years ago

Took the spring out on recommendation of my boss, btw.

#7 5 years ago

Often times it's a minor alignment issue. Lossen the bolts holding the upkick and move it slightly to better line the plunger up in the center of the hole. May take a few tries to find the sweet spot.

#8 5 years ago

I am struggling to understand the suggestions but also don’t know how this fully works- so will ask this in effort to hopefully clarify the issue and probably also learn.

The OP stated the kick out works flawlessly in a test menu but fails during game play- yet suggestions are all based upon an assumption of it being a mechanical issue. How is that the case if a test firing causes a perfect ball ejection (I take this to mean no mechanical issues exist). What I don’t understand is how it’s then different during game play but so can imagine other things interacting during game play to potentially cause an issue.

Seems to me either there is a know difference between the two test cases (test menu vs game play) that makes it obvious why it’s mechanical (maybe pulse time on coil) or there is something being missed.

#9 5 years ago

it might need cleaning.take out the coil and coil sleeve and clean the coil stop,plunger,spring,ect

#10 5 years ago

yup new sleeve and clean plunger

#11 5 years ago

Oh, it's got a new sleeve and plunger. To answer rufessor, it seems solenoids kick with more power during test mode. I've seen once before where a solenoid would kick like a mule in test mode, but fail to get the ball out in gameplay. My guess is that during test, the solenoid is fired continuously, while it's alternated on and off hundreds of times a second in gameplay. That means more solenoids can fire at once without setting off the watchdog. Gonna move the whole mech over slightly. Was trying to avoid new holes in the playfield, but it's better to have a working mech.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Took the spring out on recommendation of my boss, btw.

I don't see how it could work without the spring. The spring pushes the plunger out so that when the coil gets energized the plunger quickly gets pulled into the coil to exert a force on the ball. You need that plunger travel distance created by the spring pushing the plunger out of the coil to generate the force. F= ma, you are not going to have "a" without a distance to travel.

#13 5 years ago

it seems solenoids kick with more power during test mode.

thats because the coils are being tested indivually.they fire much harder in coil test than in gameplay

#14 5 years ago

My favorite equation! The idea was that gravity will pull it down. Something is majorly funky though, because if you put a strong spring there, the plunger doesn't have enough power to even move. I think I'm gonna try a stronger solenoid.

#15 5 years ago

My favorite equation! The idea was that gravity will pull it down. Something is majorly funky though, because if you put a strong spring there, the plunger doesn't have enough power to even move. I think I'm gonna try a stronger solenoid.

before you do that you might have to beef up the transistor and fuse.just putting in a stronger coil will possibly blow out the transistor that runs it.

#16 5 years ago

Are you sure the wire is not partially broken or the solder not bonded well?
Also, does the plunger move back and forth freely by hand?

It also could be a bad/failing transistor.

#17 5 years ago

I've already changed the transistor. I'm sure I didn't mess up the solder over 3 different coils. The plunger does move freely by hand. Hence me going crazy. I think something is either messed up in the code, or the electronics behind the transistor. Factory reset does nothing, though. I don't happen to have another whitestar driver board that I know works lying around. Annoying.

#18 5 years ago

Try to put a 1/4 spacer between the back of the plunger and the rubber stop. You can tape a bottle cap there as a test or use a piece of wood. I had a similar issue on my tspp school bus kickout that nagged me for years and this finally fixed it.

#19 5 years ago

...1/4 inch? I'll keep it in mind, but things are getting worse. Right now the plunger won't even move. It's gotta be something non-mechanical.

#20 5 years ago

I've already changed the transistor.

what i meant was a transistor that can handle more power than the one the manual is calling for

#21 5 years ago

Also check you don't have the coil strength set to "soft" in the settings and perhaps on yours it's just too soft for this coil. Maybe try changing it to the standard setting or hard and see if it makes a difference.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It also could be a bad/failing transistor.

if the coil is firing properly and is not locking on or blowing the fuse then the transistor is fine

#23 5 years ago

The coil isn't firing properly, but it's also not the transistor, because I just changed the board out, and it's doing the same thing. Okay, the replacement driver board has a lamp row missing, but that shouldn't effect anything. Burning a new ROM.

#24 5 years ago

I guess I should amend that previous statement. If I, say, ground the coil with a jumper, the coil fires fine. It does not fire fine otherwise. I have good continuity to the plug, by the by.

#25 5 years ago

The coil isn't firing properly,

if it is firing in coil test then its doing its job

#26 5 years ago

Solution: Replace CPU chip. I shoulda upgraded it a while ago anyway, as I was running 4.0. Working like a charm in original position now. Thanks everyone! Group troubleshooting is best troubleshooting.

#27 5 years ago

glad you got it fixed, but how does replacing the cpu chip fix a coil that won't fire strong enough? i also thought you said the plunger would not even move, which is a mechanical, not electrical issue.

#28 5 years ago

The cpu tells the solenoids how to fire. If you have a chip in there for, say, 15 years (has it really been that long?), the code can get a bit corrupted. It's just one bit or byte that's off somewhere, but it can change "Pulse 50 times per second" to "Pulse 10 times per second".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 25.00
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-top-saucer-wont-eject-strongly-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.