Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOTR_Pinball_score2.jpg

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

What is your strategy to get to There and Back Again?

#2 6 years ago

Focus on getting elf rings and completing modes.

#3 6 years ago

The best strategy I found was playing with the glass off. I seem to always get TABA when I do that.

#4 6 years ago

Only go for the "ring" shot and collecting elf rings. Complete modes and get all the extra balls bc your going to need them. Dont start a mb without a mode running. Some let the modes time out but thats no fun.

#5 6 years ago

1- shoot mode start whenever lit, factory has it lit at start of each ball, there's half the modes already!
2-play modes with Multiball, when MB ends, mode will probly be over, you can re-lite mode start by:
3-shoot elf rings to relight mode start, you cannot relight during a mode. (1 mode at a time)

#6 6 years ago

The trick is getting the MODE START re-lit, so you can start another mode. Any tricks to doing that?

#7 6 years ago

Letting modes time out will give you a crummy TABA score, and Frodo will mock you.

#8 6 years ago

i generally focus on the the modes and during that process i end up getting the multiballs. when focusing on the modes it is important to pay attention to what ring each shot is going to give you because the elf ring is the one (technically three of them) that you need to get in order to relight the start mode.

i also try to tie the "kill the witchking" mode in with a multiball as i can not seem to complete it with just one ball (sadly i can barely complete it with four balls either, but that is besides the point).

#9 6 years ago

I thought The Hobbit was'nt out yet?

#10 6 years ago

What is your advise to get the 3 elf rings after the prior mode has ended? They seem to light randomly?

I know that you can get a combo (two rings) if you are quick.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What is your advise to getting the 3 elf rings after the prior mode has ended?

On the one I play, if you hit the ring, it will light an elf ring. Not sure if that's a setting or not, but I usually just aim for that shot since its easily repeatable and gives you a controlled return.

-Wes

#12 6 years ago

The ring shot will always give you one elf ring, as has been mentioned. That said, if you take the time to look and see which other shots are lit for an elf ring you can make a pros/cons decision. Is it a shot you are good at? Is it easily comboed with another shot? If yes, go after it. After you hit the elf ring shot, all of the others will blink for a combo and you can immediately earn another. If not, bang the ring again. I find it's one of the safer shots in the game (assuming you aren't playing a machine that likes to give you spinner rejects).

Also: once you light all of the modes, the ring shot will no longer give you an elf ring. You've got to pay attention to what's lit once you hit that stage in order to light the ring for TABA.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

Also: once you light all of the modes, the ring shot will no longer give you an elf ring. You've got to pay attention to what's lit once you hit that stage in order to light the ring for TABA.

Yeah, this one just bit me on the ass. I had to hit the sword shot to get an elf ring, and I beefed it. Argh, so close!!

#14 6 years ago

Once modes are over, cradle the ball on the flipper go for the lit elf shot (do a pass if you have to to get on the correct flipper) and then importantly, be ready to make the combo shot which will award two more rings and light the ring and most importantly, START the next mode! Do this on every ball and that's the modes done, you just need to re-light the ring one more time for TABA

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Focus on getting elf rings and completing modes.

Yep...all there is to it. If you want to JUST make it there you can time out the modes too.

#16 6 years ago

First thing....start the MODE right away every time on each ball and then either complete it or time it out.....3 more shots in the ring will re light the MODE shot on the same ball...gotta have a few of those each game....

Second...you gotta get the extra ball....7 hits on Badur tower will light the extra ball....when the eye ring drops the ball to the play field instead of through the back make sure you are ready to nudge it into the tower saucer for a hit....

And finally, set it on 5 ball cause you ain't gettin there on 3 unless you set the out lanes all the way in and then get lucky, I don't care how good you are!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And finally, set it on 5 ball cause you ain't gettin there on 3 unless you set the out lanes all the way in and then get lucky, I don't care how good you are!

Boo, sir! I say boo!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Boo, sir! I say boo!

Hahahah.....No boo's! 5 balls will make you love Lotr!.....3 balls will make you hate it and sell it..

#19 6 years ago

I made it to TABA once on my 2nd ball, game of my life, then my kid hit the start button...

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

First thing....start the MODE right away every time on each ball and then either complete it or time it out.....3 more shots in the ring will re light the MODE shot on the same ball...gotta have a few of those each game....
Second...you gotta get the extra ball....7 hits on Badur tower will light the extra ball....when the eye ring drops the ball to the play field instead of through the back make sure you are ready to Nudge it into the tower saucer for a hit....

Worst. Advice. Ever.

I just finished playing LOTR 20 minutes ago. I destroyed the Ring and got to TABA. Just set my high score since having LOTR back in the lineup.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just finished playing LOTR 20 minutes ago. I destroyed the Ring and got to TABA. Just set my high score since having LOTR back in the lineup.

You destroyed the ring and got to Taba by clearing all the modes! Congrats....

If you did it on 3 ball you have your game set on child's play settings!

And my advice is "great"...don't listen to RobT as I see zero advice in that post, only bragging!

Congrats on getting Lotr back, why were you dumb enough to give it up in the first place!

#22 6 years ago

I'm a B player at best, and I was within a few shots of TABA tonight on 3-ball, factory settings. Outlanes at middle position. I did play IM for 10 minutes first to warm up, I think that helps.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What is your strategy to get to There and Back Again?

You mean you actually play pinball? I thought you spent most of your free time bashing Tron Mods.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You destroyed the ring and got to Taba by clearing all the modes! Congrats....
If you did it on 3 ball you have your game set on child's play settings!
And my advice is "great"...don't listen to RobT as I see zero advice in that post, only bragging!
Congrats on getting Lotr back, why were you dumb enough to give it up in the first place!

Your advice sucks because

1) you recommend 5 balls

2) you say to time out modes (preventing Gifts of the Elves including Extra Ball)

3) you completely ignore getting the elf rings to relight the Mode start.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

1) you recommend 5 balls

2) you say to time out modes (preventing Gifts of the Elves including Extra Ball)

3) you completely ignore getting the elf rings to relight the Mode start.

5 balls is the best with out lanes wide open! and higher difficulty settings.....

No, IF modes time out then get a restart asap, especially on 3 ball.....

And of course you have to get the Elf rings to restart the Mode....

And that does not "Suck".....its awesome advice! I don't play on easy settings and out lanes all the way in like you do! that "Sucks"....

Or....you can play on 3 ball, easy settings and get frustrated....don't fall for that 3 ball BS on this pin people! 5 ball is how pinball originated and it is made for this pin with the right settings....3 ball if you are an operator trying to make money, not if you own the pin..

And you have a chance to get to Valinor on 5 ball, not that I have yet....you have zero chance on 3 ball unless you are the pinball wizard and play with the glass off....

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

5 balls is the best with out lanes wide open! and higher difficulty settings.....

LOL

WTF is the difference? You want to make it harder on one hand by making the out lanes wide open and making the settings more difficult, then you want to make it easier by putting it on 5 balls. Makes perfect sense!

And DMD pins were never meant for 5 ball, so who really cares how "pinball originated"?

#27 6 years ago

It is a more interesting question to ask "how best to complete TABA?" While it takes a bit of planning, the best way is to start Gollum MB before starting TABA. This gives you two balls to play with (no pun intended) instead of one. You must start the MB first. If not, it is not possible to start it once TABA starts. With this strategy, I can complete it nearly every time. Wish I could say the same for Valinor, although I have achieved that once ))

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

the best way is to start Gollum MB before starting TABA.

Exactly what I was able to do early this evening!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And DMD pins were never meant for 5 ball, so who really cares how "pinball originated"?

Try it that way, its a lot more fun with Lotr! I care how "pinball originated"...I grew up playing 5 ball like a lot of other old timers on here.....and wtf, the fact that its DMD has zero to do with 3 ball or 5 ball....

I play my SM on 3 ball because SM is too easy....see, different setups for different pins...and its just how I do it....

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Try it that way, its a lot more fun with Lotr! I care how "pinball originated"...I grew up playing 5 ball like a lot of other old timers on here.....and wtf, the fact that its DMD has zero to do with 3 ball or 5 ball....
I play my SM on 3 ball because SM is too easy....see, different setups for different pins...and its just how I do it....

You only care about how it originated because it offered you more balls to play with! If pinball originated with 3 balls and then they went to 5 balls you'd be saying who gives a crap!

You don't think Keith had 3 ball play in mind when he made the rules?

Interesting that you find SM easier than LOTR. Have you been to Super Hero on SM on factory settings?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

With this strategy, I can complete it nearly every time. Wish I could say the same for Valinor, although I have achieved that once ))

Congrats on Valinor, one day I'll get it done.....that's the beauty of Lotr, so many different strategies and ways to skin the cat....not sure what happens on Valinor but Taba has got to be one of the coolest modes ever....

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You have the outlanes all the way open n center post removed? You can set up SM just as hard as LOTR if you like. And since you're not operating LOTR why not set it to 10 ball play?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You don't think Keith had 3 ball play in mind when he made the rules?

Actually he said he had old school 5 ball in mind when he made the rules!

$$$ is only reason it went to 3.....maybe that's why its pure sh*t on location now, along with condition, actually that's exactly why...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You have the outlanes all the way open n center post removed? You can set up SM just as hard as LOTR if you like. And since you're not operating LOTR why not set it to 10 ball play?

The way I like SM is 3 ball with the center post and out lanes open, and the shot making on SM is a whole lot easier, that you can't change.....I love Lotr set up that way for me with the deep rules and strategy involved.....and I've tried a lot of different variety on each....its just what I like best.....and when I want to be a smart a** and set up Lotr to 10 ball I will because at some point I'll want to see what Valinor is like.....

"If you are not able to complete all the Ring Modes and There and Back
Again, prior to Destroying the Ring, you will have to do it all again
(all the Movie MBs).......to get back to the chance to start Valinor.

The basic key is to use Ring Modes in conjunction with MB, to maximize
the effect. This way seem like common sense, but its tricky to
complete the Ring Modes without finishing all the MBs first, and
ending up already getting to the Destroy the Ring, which nullifies the
ability to get There and Back Again, without a Gollum MB. That is
why, is so important to get at least three Ring Modes on the first
ball of a 3-Ball game."

Good luck with that...

#35 6 years ago

Completing TABA from pinball.org rule sheet......

"There and Back Again:
Time to reminisce on all that has transpired on this long and grand adventure.
Or, more precisely, the six modes we just completed. Once the ball is
returned to play, the Ring will be lit and the mode lamps begin to
cycle quickly. Shooting the Ring scores 1M and "locks in" the lit mode. All
six main shots (less the Ring) are now lit. Shoot any lit shot to collect
the total points you had originally completed the mode with. I.E. If you
finished Ents with 6.25M, you will score 6.25M from any lit shot when Ents
are locked in. After scoring the mode total, the Ring relights for another
mode, with the completed one now lit solidly and excluded from the cycle.
Also, the shot used to score that mode total is now cleared and unavailable for
future modes during TaBA - only five shots will be lit for the next attempt.
As each shot is "used up", it becomes more difficult to score mode totals
after each Ring shot. Completing all six modes and shooting the Ring one last
time ends There and Back Again, awards 5M and lights a Gift of the Elves. A 60
second timer runs, and seems not to stop when the ball is hung up in the Jets,
so work quickly."

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Actually he said he had old school 5 ball in mind when he made the rules!

Really? That sure does't sound like something I would say.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Haha oh man, maybe this will finally shut him up?

#38 6 years ago

If the question is what is the strategy to reach it safely because you would just like to see the TABA mode, then the method would be along the lines of the following below. It is NOT very good for points and is NOT the way to play the game IMO, but if you are frustrated and just wanted to see the TABA prize:

1. After a skill shot to a controlled flipper (example shoot tower first), shoot the ball into the ring to start a mode. The mode start is lit at the start of each ball.

2. Get the ball under control, cradle, let mode time out. Don't risk taking any shots that will make you drain. (Boring? Yes, but I am assuming you want to see something new later down the road. You probably have already seen all the modes individually)

3. To relight the ring, you can either a) shoot the ring 3 times or b) relight the 3 elf ring circle (which lights the mode start) by hitting the associated playfield shots. If you hit the shot where the white elf light is lit, then the other shots light white briefly and you can collect a double elf ring, which will complete the 3 you need.

As a motivator, again keep in mind that the mode start is lit at each ball, so tell yourself that you only need to complete this task once per ball on 3 ball settings (until the final step). Give yourself smaller achievable goals, don't focus on the enormity of the larger task.

4. Hit the main ring, start mode and repeat the process until the 6 are lit. Do not worry about using the flippers to set up a particular mode or stacking with multiballs. Multiballs DO NOTHING to help you "reach" TABA. The modes cannot be played twice before TABA, so you will not accidentally play the same one twice. Just concentrate on making the shot to the ring. (Again, to the advanced player, this is just focused on the player reaching TABA, not scoring mega points or reaching Valinor or lighting gifts.)

5. At this point when all 6 modes have been played, the 6 red lights above the ring will strobe slowly. The ring now cannot be hit 3 times as before to light the mode start for TABA. The rings must be lit from the shots on the playfield.

6. Once mode start is lit, hit ring and start TABA and enjoy the music and the mode.

7. Celebrate and post your achievement on the groups

There is a lot to do to reach TABA, but depending on your skill set, that will dictate decisions you make. Some players will be screaming at the advice I wrote. What about this, and that and stacking and gifts and...Everything I just listed above is ONLY about helping someone reach TABA, but it is extremely inefficient in the quest to Valinor and is NOT a very fun way to play the game.

But if the player reading this is having trouble reaching TABA, then I suggest they ignore the tips on how to reach Valinor, since that is too advanced of a goal right now. Get the basic mechanics down first and at least convince yourself that you CAN reach one of the Valinor subgoals.

As I said, the list is NOT very effective in points, and NOT a good way to play the game as a whole. I have many strategies on how to play and reach Valinor, but since someone is asking how to reach TABA (not the rules, but a method), then I don't want to confuse the issue As the player becomes more skilled, they will develop strategies and more risk-reward scenarios.

Regarding extra balls, there are TONS of them available, but the methods to earn them can detract from the goal of reaching TABA.

Enjoy!

#39 6 years ago

Sure it does Btw, here's hoping, like you did say, that the Woz ruleset will be the deepest ruleset ever and yes.....I will be enjoying Woz on 5 ball too!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sure it does Btw, here's hoping, like you did say, that the Woz ruleset will be the deepest ruleset ever and yes.....I will be enjoying Woz on 5 ball too!

2nd that. So cool to have Keefer chiming in. Keith, I bought my LOTR and TSPP (and now WOZECLE) solely because of your involvement. I trust that you won't disappoint the pinheads.

#41 6 years ago

If you possibly can, start TABA with x2 scoring running.

When trying to light the Elf Rings to start TABA it is best if the Legolas ramp is lit for an Elf Ring as you can combo it with the Aragon ramp or Gimli saucer to get TABA ready to start once the ball returns to the right flipper. Don't forget that you can extend TABA an extra 20 seconds by collecting a Palantir award.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

Don't forget that you can extend TABA an extra 20 seconds by collecting a Palantir award.

Great point....so much to think about when and if you get to that point...devilish b*stard Keith

Quoted from balloukevin:

I trust that you won't disappoint the pinheads.

I'm sure Keith is feeling any pressure to deliver on the most hyped and talked about pin ever....a legacy in the making to be talked about for years and decades to come....!

If Woz is even close to Lotr and Tspp I'll be thrilled but like JJ said, "it can be so much more with all the new technology and innovation".....tweaks and updates will be coming for quite some time, per JJ, after the release...because JJ said once released Keith won't have to move on to another project like in the past....

#43 6 years ago

LOTR was designed to have up to 20 balls per game if you want (might even be more).

#44 6 years ago

Lol. So Ice was just making sh*t up again?

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Letting modes time out will give you a crummy TABA score, and Frodo will mock you.

Frodo mocks you if you reach TABA with low mode score?!?! Awesome! Something new to try!

#46 6 years ago

It's pretty obvious from these posts that getting to TABA with any good mode totals is a real show of skill.

#47 6 years ago

i believe just getting to TABA again shows skill. i have my machine at home set on 3 balls, 4 replay levels that each give an extra ball, rubbers on the outlane posts (not completely blocking) so it doesn't drain as often and i still have difficult time getting to TABA.

#48 6 years ago

The most important advice I can give for progressing to TABA is making sure your in a mode before starting any mb.

#49 6 years ago

Playing in the wild it took me about three years to get there. I was delighted.
Now that I own one and still rarely see it and have yet to complete it ...

... so I call it "There and Drain Again"

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lol. So Ice was just making sh*t up again?

Yep, I was making that sh*t up...!.....But, I'm still right, Lotr is the bomb on 5 ball and Keith I'm sure is talking about his own pinball wizard skills with 3 ball .....Because its cruel and unusual punishment to put a guy through that ruleset and expect to get to Valinor on 3 balls much less Taba and I'm not talking about death saves and nudging the pin until the legs fall off....hehehe....

I've never had Frodo mock me, ha, maybe I'll try that sometime...for that matter, maybe Keith ought to program himself into that LCD laughing at and mocking everybody for not clearing the 20 Woz modes and 8 multi-balls on 3 ball play..

Quoted from KingPinGames:

i believe just getting to TABA again shows skill. i have my machine at home set on 3 balls, 4 replay levels that each give an extra ball, rubbers on the outlane posts (not completely blocking) so it doesn't drain as often and i still have difficult time getting to TABA.

No matter how you get there it shows skill!....4 replay levels that each give an extra ball, 3 saucer hits for an extra ball and rubbers on the out lane posts...ok, cool, that's how you get a 7 ball game set on 3 ball....you have to be a GREAT player to clear six modes, 3 MB's, Taba and DTR on 3 balls, no extras....unless you put a sock in the out lanes

Any way you play, its an awesome pin!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside