Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Lermods
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've got 6 switches (#'s 21, 25, 39, 45, 53, 61) that are not registering when closed. There is no common row or column that they are on. I have tested the actual switches involved and they are good. I'm at a loss as to what I should be looking for. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

reseat connectors on the boards (make sure one hasn't come off a fallen down into the game)...and visually inspect connectors under the playfield.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. Have re-seated the connectors and the switches are still not working. Have also checked the continuity on both the ground and power lines and all is good there as well.

#4 8 years ago

Check your fuses. Did you check for power at the switches?

#5 8 years ago

So are those switch numbers or row/column numbers. Stern displays show both which can be confusing. 45,53,61 are exactly 8 apart and 21 is 16 apart which means those 4 could be in the same row (or is it column). That could indicate a single loose wire from say switch 37, 29, 13, 5. That would explain 4 of the 6 non working switches. Switches 25 and 39 you could then diagnose separately.

I would not check fuses here. Blown fuses would not show as only these switches as bad unless they're optos. Also, a single opto power board could account for 2 dead opto switches if two are optos. I don't have my manual in front of me.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks, Mark. I played around with #39 and found that it worked intermittently. Went ahead and replaced it and the new switch works 100%. Going to try and do that with #25 as well but it's a bear to get at. It's the sword ramp entrance switch and if I remember correctly I've got to take that ramp off to even get to that one.

Quoted from markmon:

... 4 could be in the same row (or is it column).

I recognized the "row" correlation on those 4 switches as well. Digging a little deeper, I've now found that switch #13 is not working either. It's on that same row as well so now there are 5 switches on that row that are not functioning. Again, I jumped power to that switch from a working switch and it worked so I know it's not a bad switch. None of the "bad" switches are optos.

Typically I would think there's a board component (transistor?) that's bad. However, the other two switches on that row, #29 & #37 are working. There should be another on that row, #5, center coin slot. However, my machine only has two coin slots which are switches #4 & #6. There is no #5 on my machine. Does anyone know if a transistor can be partially bad, letting some switches work but not others?

#7 8 years ago

Is this a machine that was acquired recently or did all 6 switches die at the same time? I just don't see any single device causing all the problems unless I'm overlooking something. I did look up the switch numbers and they are not all in the same row or columns which makes it hard to believe they are related to a single device. http://www.pinitech.com/switch_database.php?name=Stern_The_Lord_of_the_Rings This is where having a switch matrix tester would come in really handy http://www.pinitech.com/products/64switch_tester.php.

Having 5 bad switches in a single row is going to be a broken wire or bad connection which may actually be on a working switch since they are all daisy chained and are wired by means of the shortest route which is usually not (maybe never) in the same sequence as the matrix list.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I just don't see any single device causing all the problems unless I'm overlooking something.

That was my thought too so I tore the sword ramp apart to test #25. It was wired backwards. Now fixed and working as it should. There's a reason I call myself Pindufus.......

That leaves me with #'s 13, 21, 45, 53 & 61 not working. All are in the same row.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

they are all daisy chained and are wired by means of the shortest route which is usually not (maybe never) in the same sequence as the matrix list.

That certainly would explain why 29 & 37 are still working. Tomorrow I'll start looking at the wires more closely and maybe even add some solder to make sure the connections are good.

Thanks Pin Guy and everyone else providing assistance.

#9 8 years ago

Yea those are on the same row. Find one of these: 37, 29, 5 and verify they're all working. Then a wire will be severed from one of those to one of the ones that dont.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks guys. Found the loose wire. Did a quick solder job and my game is back up and running.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-switches-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.