Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lyonsden
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Trying to troubleshoot. Balls are entering the Gimli hole and the VUK is not activating to send the balls up to the sword ramp. The VUK is firing during ball search.

In switch test mode the switch(#30) does NOT register when we close it. It does make a physical click noise. I think the associated diode is OK(tested w/meter).

The repair help function says to test com lug and nc lug and I can't figure out what those are.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and have a safe and joyous holiday season!

#2 12 years ago

The switch is bad. Very common on LOTR. Ive replaced three on my HUO LOTR is the past year! Pinball Life has them the cheapest. Order a few.

#3 12 years ago

It takes a beating. I would do as pinb0t recommends. Just keep a few spares on hand.

when you replace it use a new diode. Not sure if the ones from pinball life include that. if not you should get some spare 1n4004 diodes to have on hand. when you remove the old switch look to see which wires are solder to what lugs. Also use the old switch as reference for installing the new diode.

#4 12 years ago

I think the diode may be in the line but not on the switch. Good rule of thumb is to copy what is already there but with a new switch.

#5 12 years ago

Yes, the diode is located away on a terminal strip. It tested similar to the diode on the left VUK switch which is working so I'll get some but definitely replacing the switch and getting a few spares. Ive had similar problems on the left VUK but they come and go so that switch probably ready for replacing too.

Thank you everybody for your help.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from TavaLee:

The repair help function says to test com lug and nc lug and I can't figure out what those are.

Any ideas?

The side of the switch has those markings, COM - common, NC - normally closed, and OC - occasionally closed.

Grab your meter and check any two lugs and close switch, only three possible ways to hook it up and only take you a minute to do.

Common problem is flaky switch, next up with stern is poor connection at an IDC connector nearby, and then check wiring from switch to board in the head for continuity. A broken wire, poor connection, at other switches or connectors can happen.

LTG

1 year later
#7 10 years ago

I have to replace this switch and the diode on mine.

Anyone have a step-by-step tutorial? Have not soldered before.

Thanks!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I have to replace this switch and the diode on mine.
Anyone have a step-by-step tutorial? Have not soldered before.
Thanks!

All you can do is watch some youtube vids on how to solder. The hardest part I find is having 3 hands to hold everything!

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

Just an update. Got the parts in from Pinball Life (great service as usual).

I used these 2 tutorials to desolder and solder. I couldn't get a fiberglass pen, so I skipped this step. I used solder wick. Very easy to do and LOTR was up and running in under an hour. Very easy to do a switch. No diode needed on this one.

#10 10 years ago

Same switch went bad on Baywatch, you'd think they'd source a different microswitch by now...

#11 10 years ago

all micro switches have a life of about 100,000 activations or so and then they need to be replaced. Just the way it is. Sometimes there can be a bad batch but for the most part they are very reliable... They are cheap and easy to replace and are better than the old gold contact leaf switches unless you know how to set them.

#12 10 years ago

For some reason, these "fork" switches go out much more often than other types of switches.

#13 10 years ago

I've bent the fork up near the switch base and got the switches to come back to life. This puts more pressure on the switch mechanism.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

I've bent the fork up near the switch base and got the switches to come back to life. This puts more pressure on the switch mechanism.

I did try that. Still in test mode it was intermittent. Tried one more bend and boom broke the fork off. Sucks to wait 4 days for the repair parts, but I ordered some spares, so I should be all set for a while.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

For some reason, these "fork" switches go out much more often than other types of switches.

Maybe it's being attached directly to a VUK.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I also had it on Gimly, and since I didn't have spare switches I unscrewed the bolts which are holding the switch (just a little bit). Ever since then it has been working perfectly (for several years now).

#17 10 years ago

In a pinch, you are try to clean the contacts in the microswitch. I've done this by either spraying electrical contact cleaner at the switch tab, or dabbing it with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. Then repeatedly press the switch. It seems to help break up/clean off whatever gunk is at the contacts. Let it dry for a while before turning your machine back on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.