(Topic ID: 19096)

LOTR Standard w/ Shaker - Any Drawbacks?

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0027.JPG
    0427120011a.jpg
    0426122138a.jpg
    0426121958a.jpg
    100_0044.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Thinking of putting in a shaker on my standard LOTR.

I've heard alot of good things about the shaker being implemented very well with the game...question is, are there any drawbacks to doing so ?

Does the DMD ever reference 'LE' anywhere during the game?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

You need more than just the motor.

No draw backs, LOTR is a game where it is implemented very good with the game.

I haven't heard of anyone removing one yet and selling it off. So those that did it must like it.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

Yes procedure doesn't seem that bad thanks to that writeup by markmon (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition).

Good to hear ! Looks like this is the way to go.

Anyone else have experience with it?

#4 11 years ago

I might add I haven't installed one.

I played a LOTR that had it, and enjoyed it immensely.

LTG

#5 11 years ago

I just hooked mine up (BTW, thanks Shredso for helping get this in) and used markmon's post as a reference. Nice, my HUO LOTR is now shakin! It interacts with the game like it belongs. I highly recommend! I've just essentially gave it the LE's main feature.

#6 11 years ago

So does the DMD say 'LE' or anything different like that or is it pretty much a seamless transition?

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

So does the DMD say 'LE' or anything different like that or is it pretty much a seamless transition?

There is nothing in the LE animations that says it is something different than a 1st run LOTR.

#8 11 years ago

The main drawback is that you won't want to play a LOTR without the shaker after you see how awesome it is. I don't ever recall seeing anything about LE on the DMD.

#9 11 years ago

I just picked one up today, it's a cool addition

#10 11 years ago

Excellent! Thanks for the input all, I think I'll be putting one in then!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

The main drawback is that you won't want to play a LOTR without the shaker after you see how awesome it is. I don't ever recall seeing anything about LE on the DMD.

+1

#12 11 years ago

Yea, it's a great addition, no downside.

#13 11 years ago

Well There is one draw back for me.I spent the EXTRA money for a LOTR limited Edition so I would have the pal chip designed by Lonnie Ropp Allowing the 500 L.E. to have a shaker motor.And two extra coats of clearcoat. But I suppose if I were in a pedestrians shoes(togue in cheek) I would probably try to get some one copy the chip and modify my machine as well.But I am not doing cartwheels over this modification that for sure. 100_0044.JPG100_0044.JPG

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Well There is one draw back for me.I spent the EXTRA money for a LOTR limited Edition so I would have the pal chip designed by Ronny Loope Allowing the 500 L.E. to have a shaker motor.And two extra coats of clearcoat. But I suppose if I were in a pedestrians shoes I would probably try to get some one copy the chip and modify my machine as well.But I am not doing cartwheels over this modification that for sure.

You don't have any of the cool action figures on your machine. And who is "Ronny Loope"? Is he related to Lonnie Ropp?

#15 11 years ago

Wow, RobKnapp - what's wrong with your LOTR? Looks like someone threw up on the left side, and pooped a rainbow over the rest of it.

Case study for why most people shouldn't use LEDs....

As for the topic - shaker rules, highly recommended!

#16 11 years ago

I have all the Playalong toy action figures 12 plus many more . I may add them. The machine is beautiful as is.

0426121958a.jpg0426121958a.jpg 0426122138a.jpg0426122138a.jpg 0427120011a.jpg0427120011a.jpg

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, RobKnapp - what's wrong with your LOTR? Looks like someone threw up on the left side, and pooped a rainbow over the rest of it.

You are rude . Ever heard of tact & diplomacy.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Looks like someone threw up on the left side, and pooped a rainbow over the rest of it.

Boy,
    Tough crowd this morning, eh Rob?
    Anything else bugging you RH? Markmon?
    Dave???

I think I'll have a shot of Vodka to go with my banana and Wheaties today. Something tells me I'm going to need it...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I have all the Playalong toy action figures 12 plus many more . I may add them. The machine is beautiful as is.

I have to disagree with you there. The sling shot plastics look straight up dumb without figures on them. Grass and stone?!? The rest of the game may get a pass but that area at the very least screams....something is missing here!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Boy,
    Tough crowd this morning, eh Rob?
    Anything else bugging you RH? Markmon?
    Dave???
    I think I'll have a shot of Vodka to go with my banana and Wheaties today. Something tells me I'm going to need it...

Who's the anime girl in your avatar? She looks familiar.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

As for the topic - shaker rules, highly recommended!

Quoted from RobKnapp:

You are rude and an idiot.

If you'd like a more reasoned critique: The color imbalance between the 2 slings takes away from the overall art/theme IMO. And there is NO place for blue in this game--totally goes against the colors/artwork/feel. The POTD area should be green, consistent with the artwork. Yellow byt he center and right ramps does help them pop. (Of course, I used colored bulbs and not garish LEDs.)

As for the figurines, I recommend using museum putty to attach them to plastics. Holds solid, completely removable.

#22 11 years ago

Fair enough. But I really dig my LOTR LED conversion. And in the end that is what is important.

100_0027.JPG100_0027.JPG

#23 11 years ago

Damn pinballers are ruthless these days!

Some people love or loathe LED's, no worries, its all preference! Those things are IMPOSSIBLE to properly photo anyway & in person it seems every application is different. Its tough to judge, really.

Rob I can see why it sucks someone else can have a shaker on their LOTR non LE but you still have the clearcoat, translite, brass & # plaque. I am one of those slackers with the mod, I still wish I had a LE though if that means anything to you.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

If you'd like a more reasoned critique: The color imbalance between the 2 slings takes away from the overall art/theme IMO. And there is NO place for blue in this game--totally goes against the colors/artwork/feel. The POTD area should be green, consistent with the artwork. Yellow byt he center and right ramps does help them pop. (Of course, I used colored bulbs and not garish LEDs.)

Exactly. I was offering a criticism in a humorous way, but Rob took it too seriously and insulted me.

There's no reason for the lower left side to be green...it monochromes out all the natural colors and skintones of the characters. Merry and Pippen are not green characters. There's no reason for the Fellowship inserts to be all different colors...the Fellowship is a singular concept, and therefore having them all be white makes sense.

I'm not against re-coloring an insert here or there...for instance, on my No Good Gofers I made all the "Drive" inserts green. It works as a singular color code and makes sense w/ the golf theme.

LEDs aren't exactly the problem, it's using them in a garish and colorblind way that works against the game. As for LOTR, it just doesn't look great with LEDs, even tastefully colored. The full range of fading FX that the insert lights do look butter-smooth with incandescents, yet choppy and strobey with LEDs. The only LEDs in my LOTR are warm whites in the spotlights, and in the flasher socket behind the ring. LEDs bounce off the silver spotlight insides nicely, and give you more light spread on the playfield. The inserts are already bright enough and like I said, you lose the smooth fades with LEDs.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

You are rude and an idiot. Ever heard of tact & diplomacy.

Ever hear of humor?

...also, wanna talk about tact...you called us "regular" LOTR owners "pedestrians" ...and just insulted me...lol.

I didn't personally insult you.

#26 11 years ago

Shaker is one of the best additions to the game IMO. Do it and don't look back charles.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes especially with LEDs and that is just fine. I think LEDs will soon become standard with new pinball machines by Stern, JJP, and even smaller outfits like Skit-B. LEDs are becoming more refined now days and there are a lot of different types to choose from. LEDs are much brighter, have a significantly lower heat signature, and put less strain on the system than incandescent bulbs. Not to mention their color changing abilities that programers can integrate with game play. So it may become a necessity to either get used to em or go to some effort to change them all out if you buy new machines in the future.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Shaker is one of the best additions to the game IMO. Do it and don't look back charles.
    Everyone has their own likes and dislikes especially with LEDs and that is just fine. I think LEDs will soon become standard with new pinball machines by Stern, JJP, and even smaller outfits like Skit-B. LEDs are becoming more refined now days and there are a lot of different types to choose from. LEDs are much brighter, have a significantly lower heat signature, and put less strain on the system than incandescent bulbs. Not to mention their color changing abilities that programers can integrate with game play. So it may become a necessity to either get used to em or go to some effort to change them all out if you buy new machines in the future.

I'm OK with them if integrated properly and with a thoughtful and tasteful approach to color. I (mostly) liked how TFLE looked with LEDs ...I like how the LEDs look on Tron LE's inserts. I think LOTR with warm white LEDs might look OK....but, it would still suffer from the choppy fade FX. LOTR has beautiful light shows. I like them as they were intended...not flickery.

Also, "brighter" in terms of functionality is debatable. Most LED conversions I've seen have less light spread from GI, making plastics 'brighter' but the overall game darker. Superbright LEDs in the inserts not only have a blinding effect on the player, but visually silhouette out the surrounding area, making it darker to the eye. Single or frosted LEDs seem to work well in inserts. I played a Road Show that was 100% superbrights...gave me a headache in 10 seconds. Ooooph!

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Also, "brighter" in terms of functionality is debatable. Most LED conversions I've seen have less light spread from GI, making plastics 'brighter' but the overall game darker.

Agree to disagree with you there my friend.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I played a Road Show that was 100% superbrights...gave me a headache in 10 seconds. Ooooph!

Yea that sometimes it's just too much indeed. Before I got used to using them I tried using primarily ultras on a machine and had to pay some extra coin to change many of em out.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Agree to disagree with you there my friend.

Yea that is just too much indeed. Before I got used to using them I tried this on a machine and had to pay some extra coin to change many of em out.

I just find it strange how gung-ho people are over full LED conversion...sometimes I wonder if Pinside is the propaganda wing of the pinball LED industry...lol. I've rarely looked at a clean factory lit game and said "hmmm...this isn't bright enough" ...and when I have (Addams, Gofers) - I added a spotlight or two.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm OK with them if integrated properly and with a thoughtful and tasteful approach to color. I (mostly) liked how TFLE looked with LEDs ...I like how the LEDs look on TRON LE's inserts. I think LOTR with warm white LEDs might look OK....but, it would still suffer from the choppy fade FX. LOTR has beautiful light shows. I like them as they were intended...not flickery.
    Also, "brighter" in terms of functionality is debatable. Most LED conversions I've seen have less light spread from GI, making plastics 'brighter' but the overall game darker. Superbright LEDs in the inserts not only have a blinding effect on the player, but visually silhouette out the surrounding area, making it darker to the eye. Single or frosted LEDs seem to work well in inserts. I played a Road Show that was 100% superbrights...gave me a headache in 10 seconds. Ooooph!

Just to balance the opinions here--I agree with the above. And LOTR does have some nice smooth attract-mode light shows, which LEDs simply kill (in a bad way). And I maintain that there's no place for blue lights in LOTR--some people have no aesthetic sensibilities, it seems.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-standard-w-shaker-any-drawbacks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.