Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just got LOTR last week and am less than thrilled with the audio. Hooke up external sub and that part is fine. Back box speakers not so great. Is it worth upgrading to flipper fidelity or pinball pro? Is it the speakers or just poor audio? My Tron factory speakers sound great compared to LOTR factory. Just want to see what others have done and how happy they are with their choices.

#2 11 years ago

I put the upgraded backbox speakers in and couldn't tell the difference. The sub is better though.

#3 11 years ago

The audio is more compressed compared to other Stern pins of that time frame, due to the amount of audio. That is one thing the LE has over the regular one, they upgraded the memory so it could contain higher quality samples.

#4 11 years ago

So speaker upgrade probably won't make much if a difference I assume?

#5 11 years ago

Here is a little review I posted up last month about the Flipper Fidelity speakers that I've put in 4 different machines (LOTR being one of them).

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-fidelity-speakers-put-them-in-4-pins-the-last-6-months-a-review

Even though I like the speaker upgrade on our other machines better, the FF speaker system for LOTR is much better than the stock speakers (in my opinion). I wasn't a fan at all of the stock speaker system in LOTR and I much prefer the FF system (so to me it's worth the money spent).

#6 11 years ago

I would like to know the answer to this as well as i recently picked up a lotr and was interested in pinball pro speakers.

#7 11 years ago

Can the game be hooked into surround sound system?

#8 11 years ago

Not related directly to the speakers themselves but I'd highly recommend the speaker light kit on LOTR from Pinball Toppers - http://www.pinballtoppers.com/STERN.html

It is by far and away the best looking one with the gold mirrored rings.

#9 11 years ago

Ordered ff speaker kit. I will post back after installed.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Cant wait to hear your review..I am curious as well

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Please let us know how it works out.

#12 11 years ago

Installed ff kit last night. Haven't dialed it in yet but some early observations. Kit is very well done. Bass is noticeably better and can be felt in the cabinet which adds to game. Kind of like a mini shaker. Back box speakers sound better but not dramatically. Sound is still what it is. Not as clear as newer sterns. Guess that is just what you get with compressed audio. I am happy with it but not a gigantic change in sound quality. I'm sure it's not the speakers but the audio compression.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

I am happy with it but not a gigantic change in sound quality. I'm sure it's not the speakers but the audio compression.

Mine is on its way...I think the sound got better with the LE's...I'll let you know...

#14 11 years ago

I have had the Flipper Fidelity complete kit in my LOTR for almost two years now.
The sound isn't as nice/rich compared to the newer machines but, it's still a hell of a lot better than the stock kit.
Fellowship multiball (as well as the rest of the game) goes to 11 with the FF's.

#15 11 years ago

Has anyone tried the Pinball Pro speaker upgrade in their lotr?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mine is on its way...I think the sound got better with the LE's...I'll let you know...

Yeah, I think if you own an LE it makes sense to get the full kit. Otherwise either just replace the woofer, or add a external subwoofer. I replaced the woofer with the high-energy woofer from Pinball Pro, and it's great, but it adds a lot of glass rattle.

#17 11 years ago

I've had the LE and currently have the regular LOTR.

I put the FF speakers in my LE. The backbox speakers made very little difference in my opinion. Very little. A lot of the sound from LOTR comes out of the bottom speaker...more than most pins.

The FF subwoofer does make a big difference on LOTR, and is definitely worth it. My current LOTR has stock backbox speakers and the FF subwoofer and I don't plan on adding the FF backbox speakers. Just not worth it on this particular title in my opinion.

And the sound quality on the LE does not seem any better to me than the regular version.

#18 11 years ago

I installed FF speakers in one I had and I have to say the clarity or the highs were much sharper. The overall volume on the callouts on this pin is turned up pretty loud as is. What I do like about FF full speaker swap out kit is the variable audio control that actually helped to balance the highs and bring out bit more base that I like to get when playing a pin. Add an external sub if your looking for more base... But I think you'll be pleased with your new FF speakers.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

Has anyone tried the Pinball Pro speaker upgrade in their lotr?

I have the PP kit with red LEDs installed, along with a shaker motor and mirror blades, just waiting for my March delivery. And yeah, I ordered the toy cannon also.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

. And yeah, I ordered the toy cannon also.

Wrong game.

#21 11 years ago

Heh, oops. I thought every post was about AC/DC.

4 years later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

The audio is more compressed compared to other Stern pins of that time frame, due to the amount of audio. That is one thing the LE has over the regular one, they upgraded the memory so it could contain higher quality samples.

Is it possible to upgrade the mem in a regular version for better audio?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from CCPorter:

Is it possible to upgrade the mem in a regular version for better audio?

Yes, Pinsound is now available for Stern Whitestar & LOTR. Do a search on Pinsound & LOTR, several threads out there about it.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Yes, Pinsound is now available for Stern Whitestar & LOTR. Do a search on Pinsound & LOTR, several threads out there about it.

Well different upgrade.

Can a non LE have memory replaced with LE size and audio samples changed to be better?

Pinsound is a board upgrade with all new sound added. But is ~$320? A friend showed me his pinsound in a few games....damn, it's nice

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Well different upgrade.
Can a non LE have memory replaced with LE size and audio samples changed to be better?
Pinsound is a board upgrade with all new sound added. But is ~$320? A friend showed me his pinsound in a few games....damn, it's nice

The PinSound upgrade is a hell of a lot simpler than redsoldering RAM on the board; might be worth considering. Plus it's reversible and you can put it in another game...

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The PinSound upgrade is a hell of a lot simpler than redsoldering RAM on the board; might be worth considering. Plus it's reversible and you can put it in another game...

Not gonna disagree

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-speaker-upgrade-worth-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.