it is working just beautifully, but the settings that have been used apparently
make the gametime really short - or it might be the game as well that
is difficult

Also the shot to the magnet is really difficult, even though the stronger
coils from PBL have been installed.

Any suggestions on which settings those use to make the gameplay a bit
more easier?

#2 9 years ago

Check to see if your coil settings are set to normal. Also. Just because you have upgrade coils, doesn't mean you will necessarily have good power...make sure the coil sleeves are clean and flipper mechanism parts are in order.

Adjust your outlanes to make them narrower if you want a longer game.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Check to see if your coil settings are set to normal. Also. Just because you have upgrade coils, doesn't mean you will necessarily have good power...make sure the coil sleeves are clean and flipper mechanism parts are in order.
Adjust your outlanes to make them narrower if you want a longer game.

Thanks, I will check it. It may actually be that I set the coil power to soft at some point, when the ball from the Orthanc tower sometimes jumped back to the tower from the path of the dead, even though I had used the pinbits' Orthanc Rebound Jam Defender.

#4 9 years ago

Do a factory reset, make sure everything is working and in good shape, rebuild flippers if necessary. Update to the 10.0 ROMs if you don't have them. Set it at 6.5 degrees and give it 25-30 plays. I doubt you will think game times are too short after doing this.

#5 9 years ago

I believe Steve Ritchie has some advice on how to achieve longer ball times, I forget what it was though.

#6 9 years ago

Check spinner at base of ring ramp, if it's damaged or misaligned it can make that shot much harder.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thanks, I will check it. It may actually be that I set the coil power to soft at some point, when the ball from the Orthanc tower sometimes jumped back to the tower from the path of the dead, even though I had used the pinbits' Orthanc Rebound Jam Defender.

You don't need that. You can put some of the lockdown bar seal there and it stops the ball from rolling back just fine.

I would do a factory reset and then pick director's cut to have the best settings for the machine.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

Check spinner at base of ring ramp, if it's damaged or misaligned it can make that shot much harder.

Yeah, if that thing is tipping towards the flippers and the bottom looks peened, then time for a new one. PBL has them for $15. Well worth it.

#9 9 years ago

I've never heard of someone complaining of short ball times on LOTR!

As for the flippers, if you are hitting the ring fine at the beginning, but then it slowly starts to get weaker, that is the common problem with this machines's gameplay. I've tried the heatsinks, which seemed to make a small difference, but from everything I read, the under mounted computer fans are the only way to constantly cool down these coils. With the heatsinks from towergames, I have no problems hitting the ring ever, but there still is a noticeable reduction in force to the ring from a cold game to 30+ minutes in.

If the ring is hard to hit right away, especially with the upgraded coils, and the machines is routed, do a full rebuild. Set the flipper power settings back to default. Those settings are weird, my friend tinkered with them, and it just seems like you can never get them to do what you want.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

With the heatsinks from towergames, I have no problems hitting the ring ever, but there still is a noticeable reduction in force to the ring from a cold game to 30+ minutes in.

Do you have a link for this? I googled towergames heatsink and found nothing helpful...

#11 9 years ago

Maybe it's towerhobbies... There are many motor heatsinks, but one that was the one that everyone used. Try searching here, there are links to it, sorry I can't recall which one.

#12 9 years ago

Thanks a million on the tips. Made today a factory reset, installed director's cut, moved the poles on the outlanes to make plays easier. Will try to play the game tomorrow with the new settings, today it got too late to start playing.

#13 9 years ago

5 ball play, maybe.

#14 9 years ago

Have you waxed the playfield? That always helped speed up the ball. Also check to see the angle of your flippers. I had one that was previously on route and the flippers were lower than the dot they should be aligned with. I adjusted them and it made a HUGE difference.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Have you waxed the playfield? That always helped speed up the ball. Also check to see the angle of your flippers. I had one that was previously on route and the flippers were lower than the dot they should be aligned with. I adjusted them and it made a HUGE difference.

Yes, the playfield has been waxed quite recently.

I have to check the angle, I did not think about that. If I have understood correctly, regarding B&W pinballs, the bat should rest "on the dot", but with Sterns the tip of the bat should be aligned with the dot. I'll see about that.

#16 9 years ago

I align all flippers with the inlane guides.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

Quoted from judremy:

Yeah, if that thing is tipping towards the flippers and the bottom looks peened, then time for a new one. PBL has them for $15. Well worth it.

And I'm just highlighting what these guys said. Because yes, if the bottom of the spinner is towards the flippers it kills all the speed of the ball as it gets to the ramp. The ball just pinches between the spinner and the ramp and loses all its momentum.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

but with Sterns the tip of the bat should be aligned with the dot. I'll see about that

I cannot remember what I lined it up with but was amazed at the difference it made. I was ready to add the upgraded coils but once I adjusted the flippers I was able to nail the shot so much more easily. And like others said checking to see if the spinner is not damaged is important too. Mine was a little damaged and on occassion it made a big difference.

#19 9 years ago

I had a look and I need a new spinner for sure!

#20 9 years ago

There should be a thread on how to generally align the flipper bats I think! I think Vid's guide does not have that bit, but it could be included there?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I would do a factory reset and then pick director's cut to have the best settings for the machine.

What are the differences with director's cut? I can't find a good resource.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

What are the differences with director's cut? I can't find a good resource.

Disables Balrog bash and probably some other presets. I just know this is what the programmer thought made the best game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-settings-for-longer-playtime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.