Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by MagicJumpi
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I noticed last night while playing LOTR that the sound is a bit scratchy. Also, when the game is idle, you can hear low static coming from the speakers, it's very faint, but it's there. I have LOTR setting next to my TSPP, and TSPP sounds MUCH better. Louder, more clear, and much more bottom end.

Is this typical for LOTR, or do I have an issue to track down?

#2 8 years ago

Mine had the same thing, a very soft scratchy sound to the speakers (I never looked into it though)

#3 8 years ago

I hear the same thing in mine too. I am thinking about upgrading the speakers and adding a shaker.

Not sure what causes it.

#4 8 years ago

Dewey, is the sound scratchy constantly, or only during the mode start animations (Shelob Attacks, Kill the Witch King, etc)?
I re-read and you say you hear a constant faint sound. Is it louder during the mode start animations?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from fazed:

Dewey, is the sound scratchy constantly, or only during the mode start animations (Shelob Attacks, Kill the Witch King, etc)?

I'll check it out tonight. I've only had the game setup since Saturday, so I haven't logged too much time on it. It just sounds very "blah". I pulled up the playfield to make sure the woofer was attached. It's almost like the speakers are blown. The volume was set on 2 when I got it, and I'll wager that the first owner probably didn't even know how to adjust the volume.

#6 8 years ago

Well, on mine, Vol level 2 is about right. At 5 it is LOUD!

#7 8 years ago

I play mine on 12 (i think) and its nice and loud. I have never noticed what you are describing. My speakers are stock.

#8 8 years ago

Dewey68, please follow the link and use a translation tool.
http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=70216
This modification should solve your problem even on LOTR.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Dewey68, please follow the link and use a translation tool.
http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=70216
This modification should solve your problem even on LOTR.

Cool, with the translation I think I followed it. Basically it's 2 100K pots soldered onto those resistors, correct? Is one for highs and one for lows?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from fazed:

I re-read and you say you hear a constant faint sound. Is it louder during the mode start animations?

The sound is constantly scratchy when the volume is under 4. Turning up the sound does help, but then I get yelled at. I think I'll try MagicJumpi's board tweak if I understand it correctly.

#11 8 years ago

Mine has the same issue. I sent the board to Stern a few years back and they said it all looked fine. I've just learned to live with it.

Todd

#12 8 years ago

The DAC (Digital Analog Converter) needs high volume (clean signals) on the input side to convert
the signals correctly.
The problem is, if you turn up the volume in the coin door (you're raising the volume on the input side) your ears will suffer. If you play at lower volume levels you have the scratchy sound.
With this modification you can:
1. lower the output volume and raise the input (see coindoor for clean signals)
2. you can adjust the backbox speakers and the cabspeaker separately

#13 8 years ago

You guys dont need to mod the board for this. There are easier options. You could install an lpad, for example on the backbox speakers then use it to lower the volume and increase it at the coin door. Here is a cheap lpad that would handle the backbox and cabinet speakers together (each has its own wire set) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-251

If you leave the cabinet speaker off you might get a little more bass. It's pretty easy to wire these up if anyone is interested.

#14 8 years ago

Ok, I'm confused here, but that's not unusual. I thought lpads are just adjustable band pass filters?

MagicJumpi, which pot does what on the link that you posted?

#15 8 years ago

I just used that lpad wiring new speakers into my NF. Heres the map I used.

http://dziedzic.us/images/wiring-new.gif

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Ok, I'm confused here, but that's not unusual. I thought lpads are just adjustable band pass filters?

The lpad is a volume control. It will allow you to turn your volume up to say 20 then cut the volume on the lpad eliminating the static. The same could probably be done for even cheaper by wiring some 40 ohm resistor into the + line of the speaker outs.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

One pot lowers the output volume for the backbox speakers and the other one for the cab speaker.
See the circuit diagram in the manual for further reference.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside