Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kguenther6
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I can not destroy the ring on my LOTR. My ring magnet works perfectly. When I start destroy the ring I hit the four main shots then it says to shoot the ring. It is my understanding that when you shoot the ring the magnet is suppose to hold the ball there, then another ball plunges out and you are suppose to hit the ball trapped in the ring with the second ball. But when I play I shoot the ring and it goes right through it like it never happened and keeps telling me to shoot the ring? I've shot it 6 or 7 times in a row and it just keeps going through the ring and nothing happens. The ring functions perfect otherwise throughout the game. Is this a setting I need to change? Destroy the ring to two ball instead of one? Do I need to fix something? Any help would be most appreciated

#2 4 years ago

Oh also I have a standard LOTR but I have the 10.2 rom and PAL chips installed so I can use a shaker. In case that makes a difference?

#3 4 years ago

Hi. There's a setting for 2 ball DTR, sounds like yours is set on 1 ball DTR.
Also sounds like your ring is not registering the ball when it goes through it, could be the opto. Plenty of threads on ring issues, search is your friend but you could start with https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ring-shot-help

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Hi. There's a setting for 2 ball DTR, sounds like yours is set on 1 ball DTR.
Also sounds like your ring is not registering the ball when it goes through it, could be the opto. Plenty of threads on ring issues, search is your friend but you could start with https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ring-shot-help

Thank you so much! Mine is set to one ball which is the default. What happens on one ball? You don't have to hit the ball out of the ring?

#5 4 years ago

It's got to be the opto not registering.
As for the 2 ball and 1 ball, it shouldn't matter.
One mode holds the ball in the ring and than you hit the trapped ball.
The other mode you have to hit 2 balls through the ring to destroy the ring and it does not trap the ball.
Good luck. I just destroyed the ring 10 minutes ago! Game is spectacular.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

It's got to be the opto not registering.
As for the 2 ball and 1 ball, it shouldn't matter.
One mode holds the ball in the ring and than you hit the trapped ball.
The other mode you have to hit 2 balls through the ring to destroy the ring and it does not trap the ball.
Good luck. I just destroyed the ring 10 minutes ago! Game is spectacular.

Ok so where is this opto? I looked at the back and all I could see is a physical switch where the ball leaves the subway behind the backboard. I went into the switch test mode and that physical switch is registering and when I put my finger through the ring hole it registers on the switch test. So where would I find this opto? There is a board on the back of the backboard and the LED on it is always lit, is this normal? Also I switched it to two balls for destroy the ring and it captured the first ball in the ring and when I it it out and through the subway, nothing happened, the mode was still going? So fustrating! I want to see what this big party is when I destroy the ring! So if someone could tell me how to locate this opto so I can troubleshoot it, it would help me a lot. Thanks

#9 4 years ago

Another thing to check is the spinner switch. The post is prone to bending, which still allows to spinner to spin, but the switch doesn't register. The DTR sequence requires spinner switch then magnet opto to register.

Pinball Life sells a heavy duty post to help prevent this - highly recommended for $4.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1045

#10 4 years ago

Can you start modes? Check switch #47 in switch test by sticking your finger through the ring to test the optos

#11 4 years ago

Also, check that the spinner switch works and switch #48 (back of the ring microswitch) works. If the spinner does not work the sw does not recognize #48 being triggered, which is needed for DTR. Switch #48 may register in switch test but needs the spinner to work in gameplay

#12 4 years ago

There are 2 settings for DTR, one ball and two ball. They are in the settings. It sounds like you have it set for 1 ball. If it was set for 2 ball then the magnet should be capturing the ball. If set to 1 ball then it will just go through. But for either setting to work switch 48 has to work. That is the switch that is used to detect a successful hit. Go into switch test and roll a ball through the trough. Don't use your fingers to test it. I had the same problem when I got my LOTR. Switch 48 worked fine when pushed with my finger but if I put a ball through it, it would not register. So I had to adjust the switch for the ball to be able to activate it. Then DTR worked fine after that in both 1 ball and 2 ball modes.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the problem. It is switch #48, that little micro switch in the ring subway. It registers if I press it with my finger so the switch is working. When I roll the ball through the subway slow it registers, but when I put the ball through the ring as it would normally go if I hit it with the flippers, the ball is traveling so fast that that micro switch doesn't register. I tried bending and pulling that switch everyway and it still doesn't register in gameplay because the ball is traveling so fast. Any suggestions?

#14 4 years ago

The ball shouldn't be too fast for it. I would say its a flaky switch and replace it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

The ball shouldn't be too fast for it. I would say its a flaky switch and replace it.

This. Same thing happened on mine - replaced the switch and it was golden.

#16 4 years ago

Sweet, you guys rock!

#17 4 years ago

This was my Grail pin I searched three years for one and then I finally get one and it has a bunch of issues to fix

#18 4 years ago

Ok I changed the micro switch in the ring through (#48) now it works perfect! I was finally able to destroy the ring! Man what a crazy celebration, probably the best I've seen in pinball. Crazy how the switch registered in the test screen but didn't work in gameplay and simply changing the switch with a new one did the trick?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I was finally able to destroy the ring!

Awesome! Congrats!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside