(Topic ID: 103762)

LOTR: Ring Post Replacement Issues, Tilt Questions, etc. (Many issues resolved!)

By ElendilAndurilz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2-969.JPG
photo 3-595.JPG
photo 1-312.JPG
281477.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LilRocky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Are you familiar with how to work the menu system as that will greatly help you diagnose the ring along with any other issues. If not, on the inside of the coin door, you will see a few buttons. One of those buttons will bring up the "portal menu" on the display. Go into diagnostics and search around for a bit. Eventually you will see how to test different features such as the magnet. First, make sure the magnet hasn't been disabled. If not, to check high powered items, the coin door will need to be shut, or you will need to pull out the little white switch inside the cabinet to the left of the door. If the magnet doesn't work in the magnet test, check the fuse. If not the fuse, look at the wiring to magnet and make sure nothing is detached. If all still looks good, my next step will require a little board trial. Find out which transistor controls the magnet. You then take a jumper wire attached to a ground and touch the tip of that transistor. If you hear a buzz, meaning the magnet is working, it probably means the transistor is bad and you'll need to replace that.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from ElendilAndurilz:

Tested the ring magnet. Coil wasn't functioning, replaced fuse F20 with a new 4a SB and it's working perfectly! Thanks for the help!
Still waiting on my 10.00 roms. I have my fingers crossed hoping I won't have to do a whitestar boot flash. (But trying to read up in case I do! If anyone wants to share anything on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm confused as to where the jumpers I may need to adjust are located especially.)
Also, I just started having trouble with my ring spinner today. It seems the side near the trigger has become slightly bent, causing it to lodge itself in the hole it sits on. It sits horizontally once stuck, so it can't be triggered and needs to be pulled out of the hole. I tried to straighten out the area that needs to be adjusted with pliars, but with it still attached it was just too small a section to properly bend without more leverage. As long as it doesn't get roughly pushed towards that hole, it's spinning perfectly but as it's already happened twice I'm guessing it will be recurring. What's the process for removing, adjusting, and then re-inserting this spinner?
Thanks in advance as always

Is the spinner in good condition or does it have some bushing (beat to crap) on its side. If so, I would just buy a new spinner as they're not very much. However, if the spinner is in good shape aside from the wire guides on both ends, you should be able to just pinch in the shorter area to get it off one side of the bracket. Then, just guide the longer wire part out of the other bracket. Careful when you're adjusting, though, as too much adjusting will break the metal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 25.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LilRocky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-rom-upgrade-sound-concerns-and-magnet-repair?tu=LilRocky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.