(Topic ID: 103762)

LOTR: Ring Post Replacement Issues, Tilt Questions, etc. (Many issues resolved!)

By ElendilAndurilz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2-969.JPG
photo 3-595.JPG
photo 1-312.JPG
281477.jpg
#1 9 years ago

New question - I tried to install a replacement post for the ring ramp which I ordered from PBL. Something must be bent out of shape, since I absolutely could not get the bulkier post to fit into the area. In the end I put the old post back, but I'm worried I should do something about it soon since there's some very noticeable marks. I'll take some pictures next time to see if anyone has ideas. Are there any creative ways to protect that edge of the ramp besides a bulkier/new post?

UPDATE: A few new questions. I'll probably have more to ask soon which I'll place above this update. ANYTHING BELOW IS ALREADY RESOLVED. Many thanks!

I have the original Lord of the Rings (Stern from December 2003) here with me. My current Display/Game version is all the way back at CPU 4.10 and Display 4.04. I'm wondering exactly what I'll need to bring this machine up to date with the 10.00 game rom. I know I'll need the 10.00 U5 Display Controller and U210 CPU Game Rom's for sure and I understand the process of updating these two.

After some reading, I'm concerned as to whether my U7 Sound Rom needs to be updated to 1.01 (or if it is already 1.01), and whether my WhiteStar OS needs to be flashed to meet these newer Rom versions as mentioned in the Stern SB 157. (http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb157.pdf) There isn't a lot of information out there on this from what I can tell, but since my machine is on the older side for LOTR I wanted to make sure this isn't going to be a problem. Did any units even ship without a 1.01 U7? Honestly, I'm not fully understanding the Whitestar sound OS either and what this service bulletin really refers to!

Is my best bet to start by just installing the 10.00 Display and Game Rom's and seeing if everything works properly? If there are sound issues after those are installed, should I re-flash a 1.01 U7 chip and see if that helps or try the Whitestar OS boot flash first?

Also, I just started having trouble with my ring spinner today. It seems the side near the trigger has become slightly bent, causing it to lodge itself in the hole it sits on. It sits horizontally once stuck, so it can't be triggered and needs to be pulled out of the hole. I tried to straighten out the area that needs to be adjusted with pliars, but with it still attached it was just too small a section to properly bend without more leverage. As long as it doesn't get roughly pushed towards that hole, it's spinning perfectly but as it's already happened twice I'm guessing it will be recurring. What's the process for removing, adjusting, and then re-inserting this spinner?

My last question is about my ring magnet, and how to begin repairing it. It hasn't been functional for years, but from my understanding it's likely just fuse F20 might be blown. Is there anyway to easily diagnose the issue, or should I just try a new 4 amp SloBlo Fuse in F20 and see if that solves it? I've also heard some are using 5 amp SB fuses in this slot as Stern said it would be okay, and may keep it from blowing so easily. If the fuse is not the problem, what are the next steps I should take to repairing this feature?

Really appreciate any and all help! I'm very new to this and having a difficult time wrapping my head around everything!

Post edited by ElendilAndurilz: Many questions answered, a few newer questions!

#2 9 years ago

You shouldn't have to update your sound OS. The only time I found the sound needed an upgrade is if you were to do the shaker install, and that's a whole other can of worms. You should be good with just getting the display and CPU chips.

The magnet is most likely (and hopefully) the fuse. It's easy enough to replace and see if it is the issue. Just pull the fuse out and replace it. Usually looking at the fuse you can see obvious signs it blew, but not all the time.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

That's great news. My current plan is definitely to see how things go with just the display and CPU chips upgraded. I'm not looking into trying to convert to LE features like a shaker anytime soon! I wonder if that's why I found a bit of conflicting information since many do seem to be interested in a shaker motor.

I checked the fuse earlier and it definitely doesn't show any signs of being blown, but since I don't have any replacements on hand I guess we'll have to wait and see! I've got a few fuse sets on their way over, so I should be able to test that around Monday. In the meantime, is there any danger to playing with a blown fuse besides the corresponding functions not working? This machine may have been sitting with this blown fuse for 8-9 years, so I sure hope not!

One more question I've thought of since posting.

Is there anything else I should be doing to either bring this machine up to date or future proof it? I've seen a few other service bulletins on the machine, but I wasn't sure how meaningful any of them would really be. Thoughts anyone?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from ElendilAndurilz:

Thanks for the reply!
That's great news. My current plan is definitely to see how things go with just the display and CPU chips upgraded. I'm not looking into trying to convert to LE features like a shaker anytime soon! I wonder if that's why I found a bit of conflicting information since many do seem to be interested in a shaker motor.
I checked the fuse earlier and it definitely doesn't show any signs of being blown, but since I don't have any replacements on hand I guess we'll have to wait and see! I've got a few fuse sets on their way over, so I should be able to test that around Monday. In the meantime, is there any danger to playing with a blown fuse besides the corresponding functions not working? This machine may have been sitting with this blown fuse for 8-9 years, so I sure hope not!
One more question I've thought of since posting.
Is there anything else I should be doing to either bring this machine up to date or future proof it? I've seen a few other service bulletins on the machine, but I wasn't sure how meaningful any of them would really be. Thoughts anyone?

Make sure the spinner activates the switch right (there is a test in the menu for the ring optos and ramp switch). That is where I would start.

#5 9 years ago

Will check the spinner tomorrow and let you know the result. Do you happen to know the specific name of the test I'm looking for or should keeping an eye out for ramp switch work?

Thanks for the help

#6 9 years ago

Are you familiar with how to work the menu system as that will greatly help you diagnose the ring along with any other issues. If not, on the inside of the coin door, you will see a few buttons. One of those buttons will bring up the "portal menu" on the display. Go into diagnostics and search around for a bit. Eventually you will see how to test different features such as the magnet. First, make sure the magnet hasn't been disabled. If not, to check high powered items, the coin door will need to be shut, or you will need to pull out the little white switch inside the cabinet to the left of the door. If the magnet doesn't work in the magnet test, check the fuse. If not the fuse, look at the wiring to magnet and make sure nothing is detached. If all still looks good, my next step will require a little board trial. Find out which transistor controls the magnet. You then take a jumper wire attached to a ground and touch the tip of that transistor. If you hear a buzz, meaning the magnet is working, it probably means the transistor is bad and you'll need to replace that.

#7 9 years ago

I had a sound issue with an early version of LOTR, it would just cut out and not return till a reboot and got progressively worse with time. Because it is a proprietary code, I had to send the board to Stern for repair, it was about $250.00 I think.

On the same machine the ring magnet would not engage. Perform the suggested above to narrow down the problem. The problem on mine ended up being the transistor, it had been cut right off the board from the original op when it went on route. Op's figured out it was simpler to cut the transistor off the board then it was to run service calls for magnet problems I guess Replaced it with a new one and worked perfectly.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'll run these tests tomorrow and let you know where I stand!

#9 9 years ago

There was a sound issue with LOTR running OS version 4 if you upgraded to version 10.00 Display and CPU. The game would do phantom sound hits, delayed sounds or broken up sounds. If you are having these issues after going to version 10.00 you will need to upgrade the Whitestar bootflash OS to version 8.

#10 9 years ago

Will check the spinner tomorrow and let you know the result. Do you happen to know the specific name of the test I'm looking for or should keeping an eye out for ramp switch work?
Thanks for the help

I think it is under adjustments > LOTR (picture of the ring) > Ring magnet test (something along these lines similar to balrog test).

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

There was a sound issue with LOTR running OS version 4 if you upgraded to version 10.00 Display and CPU. The game would do phantom sound hits, delayed sounds or broken up sounds. If you are having these issues after going to version 10.00 you will need to upgrade the Whitestar bootflash OS to version 8.

Very helpful, I think that clears up how I should handle the potential for a sound issue.

Quoted from judremy:

I think it is under adjustments > LOTR (picture of the ring) > Ring magnet test (something along these lines similar to balrog test).

Great! I'll check it out tomorrow! Really appreciate the help.

#12 9 years ago

Deathhimself has great knowledge of this pin... he helped me out and I was having same problem with sound and once he helped me get the boot flash done it worked perfectly

#13 9 years ago

Tested the ring magnet. Coil wasn't functioning, replaced fuse F20 with a new 4a SB and it's working perfectly! Thanks for the help!

Still waiting on my 10.00 roms. I have my fingers crossed hoping I won't have to do a whitestar boot flash. (But trying to read up in case I do! If anyone wants to share anything on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm confused as to where the jumpers I may need to adjust are located especially.)

Also, I just started having trouble with my ring spinner today. It seems the side near the trigger has become slightly bent, causing it to lodge itself in the hole it sits on. It sits horizontally once stuck, so it can't be triggered and needs to be pulled out of the hole. I tried to straighten out the area that needs to be adjusted with pliars, but with it still attached it was just too small a section to properly bend without more leverage. As long as it doesn't get roughly pushed towards that hole, it's spinning perfectly but as it's already happened twice I'm guessing it will be recurring. What's the process for removing, adjusting, and then re-inserting this spinner?

Thanks in advance as always

#14 9 years ago

Still waiting on my 10.00 roms. I have my fingers crossed hoping I won't have to do a whitestar boot flash. (But trying to read up in case I do! If anyone wants to share anything on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm confused as to where the jumpers I may need to adjust are located especially.)

Atmel Flash Memory Installation Procedure (on CPU/Sound Board II only)
A Bootflash O/S 8 Sound EPROM (512K) (Checksum $8F2E) is required for this installation.

Step 1: Turn Pinball Game OFF (remove backglass for procedure). Reference the above CPU/Sound Board II Component Layout drawing for the locations of U7, JP2, JP3, JP4 and LED1.

Step 2: Remove the current Sound EPROM at U7 and replace with Bootflash O/S 8 Sound EPROM in its’ place.

Step 3: Move the jumpers at locations JP2, JP3 & JP4 to the opposite position.
Jumper JP2 covers RIGHT 2 pins move to LEFT 2 pins

Jumper JP3 covers BOTTOM 2 pins move to TOP 2 pins

Jumper JP4 covers TOP 2 pins move to BOTTOM 2 pins

Step 4: Turn Pinball Game ON. Wait for LED1 to start flashing continuously (this indicates flash procedure was successful). Note: This usually takes a few minutes.

Step 5: Turn Pinball Game OFF.

Step 6: Remove Bootflash O/S 8 EPROM at U7 and replace with original EPROM you had just previously removed.

Step 7: I M P O R T A N T ! ! >>> Move Jumpers JP2, JP3, JP4 back to their original positions.
(JP2 = RIGHT, JP3 = BOTTOM & JP4 = TOP)

Step 8: Turn Pinball Game ON. Watch LED1 upon power-up. The LED1 will flicker then flash 8 times.

281477.jpg281477.jpg

#15 9 years ago

I can almost assure you that you'll need to flash to OS 8 with version 10.00 ROMs.

#16 9 years ago

yes you will need boot flash... it is very easy to follow death himself's instructions as I just did it two days ago.

#17 9 years ago

Tested the ring magnet. Coil wasn't functioning, replaced fuse F20 with a new 4a SB and it's working perfectly! Thanks for the help!
Thanks in advance as always

Is the spinner in good condition or does it have some bushing (beat to crap) on its side. If so, I would just buy a new spinner as they're not very much. However, if the spinner is in good shape aside from the wire guides on both ends, you should be able to just pinch in the shorter area to get it off one side of the bracket. Then, just guide the longer wire part out of the other bracket. Careful when you're adjusting, though, as too much adjusting will break the metal.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Is the spinner in good condition or does it have some bushing (beat to crap) on its side. If so, I would just buy a new spinner as they're not very much. However, if the spinner is in good shape aside from the wire guides on both ends, you should be able to just pinch in the shorter area to get it off one side of the bracket. Then, just guide the longer wire part out of the other bracket. Careful when you're adjusting, though, as too much adjusting will break the metal.

Pinball life has these for $15. Well worth it if the spinner is mashed up on the edge.

#19 9 years ago

You guys are great. That guide was very comprehensive DeathHimself, I'll certainly look back if any sound issues show up. Thanks for the nifty diagram!

So today I received my 10.00 display+cpu roms. I installed both, booted up the machine and nothing showed up on the dot matrix display. I removed the display rom and double checked that all pins were in place and the rom was facing the proper direction. Still no luck. I replaced it with the old 4.04 display rom and display was fine. Sounds like a faulty/misflashed chip? I'm planning to exchange it unless anyone has any ideas.

On a good note, I played a game with the 10.00 game rom, and 4.04 display rom (obviously a few bugs here and there with the display) and had no sound issues so far. I'd assume the game rom was going to be the culprit for the whitestar issues, correct? If so, I may be in the clear in that regard. I was pleasantly surprised, as it sounds like I'm coming from a version that frequently deals with that issue. Assuming I do have no sound issues, I believe I read that there's no quality difference between the WhiteStar OS's. If someone could verify that I'd appreciate it!

I've ordered a new spinner, but also seem to have bent the metal back into place for the time being.

Can't wait to have a working display rom, since I believe the rest of the machine is now in working order!

Any other general recommendations while I'm doing work on the machine? I'm really enjoying getting into the basic maintenance, and I'd be up for doing some pro-active work if anyone has ideas!

#20 9 years ago

Look around for a thread about a metal piece you can make/buy that replaces the horizontal clear plastic in the lower left area. I did some other things to mine to make the ramp shot a little easier along with reinforcing the vertical plastic on the shire VUK (it is usually cracked around the lower rivet).

#21 9 years ago

Looking into those, thanks!

Is the general consensus that the ring ramp left post should be upgraded regardless of current condition. Mine doesn't seem to be bent as of yet, but it's definitely the stock piece.

Also how often should this pin be waxed? My guess is after 10 years of storage it could probably benefit from from some play field maintenance. Is the standard stuff people talk about on the forum good for LoTR and should I know anything special before starting that?

Also my tilt seems to be acting a bit off. Some very small moves seem to trigger tilt almost immediately, while bigger moves don't register or occasionally give a warning. How would I go about tuning that?

I sure do have a lot of questions. Never expected the flood of information I'd find once I came to this community, it just keeps leading to more questions! Thanks for being patient with me!

#22 9 years ago

Also my tilt seems to be acting a bit off. Some very small moves seem to trigger tilt almost immediately, while bigger moves don't register or occasionally give a warning. How would I go about tuning that?

What is the tilt bob set at (left side of cabinet near the front)? Post a picture if possible.

#23 9 years ago

you should put your location in your avatar so people know where you are. if you are close to another member perhaps they can come over and help you in person.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

you should put your location in your Avatar so people know where you are. if you are close to another member perhaps they can come over and help you in person.

Good idea. Done.

Quoted from skquinn:

What is the tilt bob set at (left side of cabinet near the front)? Post a picture if possible.

Not sure. I'll take a picture and post it tonight!

#25 9 years ago

Had some great luck today. The replacement 10.00 display rom worked perfectly, and I don't seem to have any sound issues so no need to flash the whitestar os.

Tilt seems to be working fine today as well. I made sure the tilt bob looked and felt right, and haven't noticed any issues since. Here's some pictures for reference in case I'm wrong! (Sorry for my poor cell phone photography!)
photo 2-969.JPGphoto 2-969.JPG
photo 1-312.JPGphoto 1-312.JPG
photo 3-595.JPGphoto 3-595.JPG

I tried to install a replacement post for the ring ramp which I ordered from PBL. Something must be bent out of shape, since I absolutely could not get the bulkier post to fit into the area. In the end I put the old post back, but I'm worried I should do something about it soon since there's some very noticeable marks. I'll take some pictures next time to see if anyone has ideas. Are there any creative ways to protect that edge of the ramp besides a bulkier/new post?

#26 9 years ago

Had some great luck today. The replacement 10.00 display rom worked perfectly, and I don't seem to have any sound issues so no need to flash the whitestar os.
Tilt seems to be working fine today as well. I made sure the tilt bob looked and felt right, and haven't noticed any issues since. Here's some pictures for reference in case I'm wrong! (Sorry for my poor cell phone photography!)

I tried to install a replacement post for the ring ramp which I ordered from PBL. Something must be bent out of shape, since I absolutely could not get the bulkier post to fit into the area. In the end I put the old post back, but I'm worried I should do something about it soon since there's some very noticeable marks. I'll take some pictures next time to see if anyone has ideas. Are there any creative ways to protect that edge of the ramp besides a bulkier/new post?

photo 1-312.JPG 150 KB

photo 3-595.JPG 505 KB

photo 2-969.JPG 575 KB

You may be able to shift the ring ramp slightly towards the back by loosening the nylon nuts under the playfield holding it in place. This is also how you can adjust the ramp if shots aren't going into the ring and are typically bouncing off the edges.

#27 9 years ago

Only thing that looks slightly out of whack is that the pendulum for the tilt mechanism doesn't look centered within the ring based on the pictures. You can always drop it down a bit more to make it less sensitive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-rom-upgrade-sound-concerns-and-magnet-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.