• Latest reply 1 year ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

500-6764-00.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Two of the three LEDs For the elves aren't working. On will flicker the other is doa. All the other ones(dwarfs and men) work fine. Not really worth replacing the entire unit has anyone successfully fixed individual led's ? Maybe just touch up the solder ? Anynwayntonget a replacement led in casentheynare just dead?

#2 12 years ago

You can solder in new LEDs but that board, how much is it? You sure it's not a wiring problem?

#3 12 years ago

I've had the same problem on a LOTR and an ID4. When I change the LED, it stops working after a bit. I put an incandescent bulb in and all is well. Sorry, I don't know why.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from dirtrider:

I've had the same problem on a LOTR and an ID4. When I change the LED, it stops working after a bit. I put an incandescent bulb in and all is well. Sorry, I don't know why.

I think he is referring to the LED ring at the bottom of the playfield. It's a factory LED board, not a light bulb. Your issue is something separate. Usually it means you need to rebend the pins on your LED so they make better contact in the socket (or you used cheapo LEDs).

#5 12 years ago

2 of the 3 elves leds are out in mine also. I would love to know how to fix it. I cant justify spending the $80 for a new board but probably will sooner or later.

#6 12 years ago

Yes I have replaced a white elf LED that was not working on the 19LED board on my LOTR.

They are just standard LED components that you can buy at an electronics shop. I bought a pack of assorted ones and just soldered in a new white one. You may have trouble matching the exact colour. Check with a meter to see if you have any voltage across the LED on the circuit board when it is supposed to be lit. If you have voltage just replace the LED, if there is no voltage, reseat the board connector first, otherwise you probably have a fault on one of the chips on the board. If one LED is flickering, try reflowing the solder on the LED affected.

#7 12 years ago

Ahh ok cool so just an led from radio shack then? One of the two that is out is flickering. I need to invest in a multimeter I will try reflowing solder easy enough.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think he is referring to the LED ring at the bottom of the playfield

Ohhh... Thanks for the correction. I've tried the bending of contacts on the socket AND the bulb. I only get the cointaker bulbs. It just can happen on one socket per game...tried different bulbs, seems like they burn out? I'm puzzled.

#9 12 years ago

Might be the socket does a regular bulb work?

#10 12 years ago

Board seems to be sending current led just not lighting up so...resolver or new led. How difficulty is replacing the led seem like a fairly precise soldering job is required?

#11 12 years ago

Looks a little tight in there but you can do it!

500-6764-00.jpg500-6764-00.jpg

#12 12 years ago

Yea shouldnt be too bad. I guess once I heat up the solder the old LED's should come right out?

#13 12 years ago

It would be a little tricky because you'd have to heat both leads at once and not bump anything else. Perhaps you can snip the led off from the topside then heat each lead individually and pull them out the top

#14 12 years ago

Get a solder sucker or some wick and that will help.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Might be the socket does a regular bulb work?

A regular bulb works fine & that's what I have in there.

#16 12 years ago

I had no problems unsoldering the defective LED. Just push the LED to one side as you melt the solder on the other side and the first wire will pull out through the board. The LED will then pull out completely as you melt the solder on the other pad. Those solder pads are tiny so be careful not to bridge any traces when you do this. Make sure that you fit the LED the correct way round, there normally is a "flat" on one side of the component, or else look inside the LED and align it so that it looks the same. Don't take too long soldering in the new one as these components can be damaged by too much heat.

#17 12 years ago

Cool thanks, DirtRider in your case try cleaning the contacts on your socket and bending the pins on the LED should work.

#18 12 years ago

Wohoo I did it! Had to do it twice first LED turned out to be yellow even though it looked white Its a little brighter than the stock ones but it does the trick. I frosted it a little to make it less bright

5 months later
#19 11 years ago

Anyone know what the voltage should show across the LED's ? My three elf light are all out and would love to just test it with a meter before I go desoldering anything.

#20 11 years ago

If recall it was 2.5 just test a working one. Just put in new LEDs it will work

#21 11 years ago

Duh, test a working one... funny how the obvious thing never occurred to me. Will do!

10 years later
#22 1 year ago

Putting this here for future reference:
I had white LEDs go out on the rings disk board. I saw some threads about replacing them. But the links were outdated. I bought these in frosted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09B9DP4M6

They worked great. Note that the long leg went in the circle pad side. They were bright but not overwhelming.
The old leds desoldered easily. It was a simple fix and cost like $5. The boards seemed to be sold out everywhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-rings-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.