photo 3-4.JPG
40075-i.jpg
40076-i.jpg
image-45.jpg
100_0098.JPG
LOTR_destroy the ring.JPG
photo-2.JPG
image.jpg

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I personally don't like playing with the upgraded coils. Sure, it makes the ring shot easier, but it also changes the dynamics of all the other shots. I guess it's sort of a catch-22. If your game is prone to the flippers getting weak, the upgraded coils are really your only option.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I waited before changing the coils till i couldnt take it any more... you do so well in the game, get to dtr and just could not make it up the ramp consistently on a clean shot. Yes some trade offs, but well worth it. I thought having the upgraded flippers would destroy parts of the plastics, but pleasantly surprised that although stronger, not overly powerful. Interesting that some of the stock coils are fine and others not..like I mentioned, my right flipper is perfectly fine even after long sessions on the game.

#102 10 years ago

Are the new coils more powerful, or is it that they have the same strength, but just don't get tired like the stock ones do? if they are more powerful, that would be a concern because mine are pretty strong now. If they are the same strength, but don't get tired, seems like a no brainer to make the switch. Sounds like most are saying they are more powerful.

#103 10 years ago

My left flipper had issues so I ordered a bunch of things from Pinball Life. Turns out it was just a coil sleeve, but I have flippers for a rebuild and bought the upgraded coils. My pin plays pretty solid though.

During DTR mode it's tough to make the 2 shots (my settings) to destroy it, and that was making it seem like I had a coil issue. However that's not true. The magnet is not 'on' max power like it is normal, so it requires a solid shot.

Cave troll is now on and I'm playing it like crazy. Just did this (2nd best time for DTR) 94MM points total. Such a fun game.

photo 3-4.JPGphoto 3-4.JPG

#104 10 years ago

Was just playing my LOTR and the cave/gollum switch stopped registering...ugh! Went into switch test and it was working only intermittently, tried to bend it a little to get it to register better, but that didn't work so pretty sure switch is bad. Ordered four of them in case the shire switch and the two on my TSPP also go.

Since shipping was high at $11, it was a good excuse to order the spinner mentioned earlier, also tacked on 13 new pinballs and a new post next to the ring ramp.

Was eyeing the shaker motor for my avengers, but passed on it.

#105 10 years ago

Does pinball life ever have Pinside discount codes? I have never seen one. Cointaker has a discount code .

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Was just playing my LOTR and the cave/gollum switch stopped registering...ugh! Went into switch test and it was working only intermittently, tried to bend it a little to get it to register better, but that didn't work so pretty sure switch is bad. Ordered four of them in case the shire switch and the two on my TSPP also go.
Since shipping was high at $11, it was a good excuse to order the spinner mentioned earlier, also tacked on 13 new pinballs and a new post next to the ring ramp.
Was eyeing the shaker motor for my Avengers, but passed on it.

Always good to have an extra fork switch or two on hand since they're used in two locations and go out on occasion.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think it's basically just the programmer's recommended settings. Director's cut turns on "Cave Troll" and disables that stupid "Bash the Balrog" mode. It may have some other minor changes to difficulty settings, etc. but those are the two big things. If you do still have Bash Balrog on, there's a pretty awesome easter egg if you do the following before starting a game.
Both flippers, then Lx6, Rx1, Lx9, Rx1, Lx6, Rx1, Lx9, Rx1. You'll
hear a Balrog roar letting you know you did it right.
Just be sure to check out the DMD animations after starting the bash balrog mode and prepare yourself for laughter!

Holy crap, that was hilarious! How have I never heard of this before?

#109 10 years ago

Yes.
Get the one specifically for LOTR.

It has a few less windings which in turn makes it slightly more powerful.
(yes, less = more, I know it's funky....)

#110 10 years ago

Mine already has the ones without the name on them. The original owner told me he put them in for more power long ago so maybe they didn't have the others then. I have no complaints for the most part though the left flip could be a tad stronger once in a while. Couldn't that be adjusted in the options somewhere also? I recall something in there I've never seen on other games for the coil strength.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Mine already has the ones without the name on them. The original owner told me he put them in for more power long ago so maybe they didn't have the others then. I have no complaints for the most part though the left flip could be a tad stronger once in a while. Couldn't that be adjusted in the options somewhere also? I recall something in there I've never seen on other games for the coil strength.

In LOTR they actually do have coil timings as well as your typical coil pulse strength normal/soft/hard.

I forget what does what in the timings but I think there is three of them you can adjust in options?? Try playing around with them and let us know your results.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The second round is easier for FOTR, they light faster, then slow for third and onward. TTT, even when they unlight, is relatively easy to still load up very fast, and win. It is easily the easiest, and safest method for getting gifts, and giving any mode a better opportunity to be won.

Perhaps your game setup is different than mine?

On the first FOTR all characters are blinking. Collect each shot/character once in any order to light solid. Boromir is harder since it is a collection of pop hits.

On the second FOTR the characters are selected at random. You must collect them in the order chosen by the game. They blink, make the single shot to light the insert solid. After lighting one character solid it moves to the next.

On the third FOTR all of the characters must be hit once to start blinking and the collected again to light solid. This can be done in any order.

I can't recall the 4th and 5th wave requirements. Keith Johnson reads here sometimes maybe he can assist.

So I think it gets harder each time. But maybe it's my game settings.

#113 10 years ago

My FOTR first round starts with one blinking, you hit it, another lights. I bumped up some of my settings to a little harder, especially TTT, I didn't think I did with FOTR though, I think mine is set to medium or whatever the default is, maybe yours was set to easy. I know the standard TTT was too easy, as you could unlock all the locks, much like in CV, and fire them up there whenever. I have mine set to the first you have to unlock a lock, then lock that ball, then unlock the next.

I did Valinor on the settings I have now. I didn't change a lot, just the few things that seemed over the top easy compared to other stuff.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

My FOTR first round starts with one blinking, you hit it, another lights. I bumped up some of my settings to a little harder, especially TTT, I didn't think I did with FOTR though, I think mine is set to medium or whatever the default is, maybe yours was set to easy. I know the standard TTT was too easy, as you could unlock all the locks, much like in CV, and fire them up there whenever. I have mine set to the first you have to unlock a lock, then lock that ball, then unlock the next.
I did Valinor on the settings I have now. I didn't change a lot, just the few things that seemed over the top easy compared to other stuff.

Ok. Got it.

Sounds like your FOTR starts at what would be my second wave. My game is on factory settings.

I've also been to Valinor on factory settings. I found no compelling reason to make the game harder.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Ok. Got it.
Sounds like your FOTR starts at what would be my second wave. My game is on factory settings.
I've also been to Valinor on factory settings. I found no compelling reason to make the game harder.

This is one thing that I don't like about the factory defaults. It basically "gives" you FOTR multiball by allowing you to collect the members with slop shots. Completing it is another story altogether
I strongly encourage those of you who say you reach DTR on every other game to change the difficulty level on at least this mode. Defiantly makes you feel like you've earned the mode once it starts.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

This is one thing that I don't like about the factory defaults. It basically "gives" you FOTR multiball by allowing you to collect the members with slop shots. Completing it is another story altogether I strongly encourage those of you who say you reach DTR on every other game to change the difficulty level on at least this mode. Defiantly makes you feel like you've earned the mode once it starts.

I'll keep the game on factory. DTR is a stepping stone to my reason I play the game-Valinor.

"Giving" that first FOTR MB to the player is not making Valinor suddenly a cakewalk.

#117 10 years ago

I'll keep the game on factory. DTR is a stepping stone to my reason I play the game-Valinor.
"Giving" that first FOTR MB to the player is not making Valinor suddenly a cakewalk.

I guess I see your point.I'm still new to the game so I have set my goals a bit lower than yours.
I figure when I can DTR on the harder setting regualry, it will be time for me to set my sights on Valinor.

#118 10 years ago

I have heard most keep it factory until getting to Valinor at least. I never actually thought I would ever make this, and upped it from the start, just so I wasn't seeing MB's all the time - I guess, I can't recall now. Actually, I think I thought the defaults were higher and upped them, as the previous owned I believe changed them, I can't remember.

Anyway, great game!

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

why would you do that? the game is hard enough out of the box. You must have seen valinor every week then, and felt the need to step up your game.

The fact that you seen valinor at all, says you either play it a ton or much better player than I.

#120 10 years ago

I'm likely the worst pinball player on the planet, so for me DTR is a major accomplishment on factory. In fact, out of the three years that I've owned LOTR, I can count on one hand (well maybe 2) how many times I've accomplished it, so Valinor is never going to happen for me. Instead my goal is getting TABA, which I have done only 2-3 times or about once per year.

#121 10 years ago

Two words: Five Balls

Embrace it...

#122 10 years ago

Five balls must be the trick. I'm a decent player, but in a year of ownership have never gotten to taba. I have DTRed many times, but that's it. My outlanes are set to the widest setting and i lose a lot of balls down them. I play 3 ball on all my machines.

My high score is 160 mil. To gauge my skill, my high on avengers is 212 mil, TSPP 170, TAF over 600 and toured the mansion twice in one game on three ball, xmen 130.

You guys either have your settings too generous or are exceptional players...or play with the glass off, not that there's anything wrong with that

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Two words: Five Balls
Embrace it...

5 Ball game + extra balls on a LOTR ?!??!

I don't have 3 hours for one game of pinball...

#124 10 years ago

ooo 5 balls, that's ban vote territory!

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why would you do that? the game is hard enough out of the box. You must have seen valinor every week then, and felt the need to step up your game.
The fact that you seen valinor at all, says you either play it a ton or much better player than I.

I don't believe Stern's tell you what is factory for each setting like b/w's do. Again, when I bought my HUO from the original guy, I thought he had many of the settings, such as TTT, on way to simple settings, as they just seemed way to simple to load up fast. I upped things after playing for a bit to what I felt was "default", without resetting, I don't know what I did it that way.

I think most of my settings are pretty factory, I really only toyed with the MB's, and of those, I am guessing only TTT and FOTR. I have at times hit TTT many times, and FOTR a couple times in a game, but regardless of how easy they were, ROTK would still be the thorn preventing me from Valinor.

I should have been to Valinor another three time, once my wife screwed me up at the worst moment, another time I called my kids down to witness, and they started fighting with each other over each telling the other to be quite, which made me drain prior to hitting the ring (man, the look on their face, and likely mine....), and another when the plastic for the lower pop bumper broke, sat in the cake saucer, I kid you not, while I have the DTR shot flashing to go to it, and was blocking balls from entering. I took off the glass, removed the piece, thinking the ball would sit in the saucer until I closed the door, ball rolled into saucer and out, I frantically closed the door quick trying to get a swipe with the flipper... drain...awesome...

If I hadn't of already done it once, I may have sold the machine out of frustration.

#125 10 years ago

yea, 5 balls is a no no. As Steve Ritchie would say. PLAY BETTER. If I can't beat a game on standard settings with 3 balls, then I need to keep playing it until I do. It's what drives to play games in the first place. If I put them on 5 balls, i'm cheating. (unless it's an EM that is suppose to be 5 ball). Then I might as well use a Game Genie for video games as well. Why not 10 balls while i'm at it, to make sure I see every ending to every game the first day I get it. That would be really fun huh. See everything a game has to offer in the first 3 games. Then every game can be like Monster Bash.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

ooo 5 balls, that's ban vote territory!
I don't believe Stern's tell you what is factory for each setting like b/w's do. Again, when I bought my HUO from the original guy, I thought he had many of the settings, such as TTT, on way to simple settings, as they just seemed way to simple to load up fast. I upped things after playing for a bit to what I felt was "default", without resetting, I don't know what I did it that way.

If you have access to the LOTR manual, it describes what the defaults are.

#127 10 years ago

I Destroyed the ring tonight for the first time with 2 ball. Very satisfying as I knocked it out on the first try. I'll be leaving this mode on. I also almost completed fotr multi for the first time also but missed the last cross over.

#128 10 years ago

If you have access to the LOTR manual, it describes what the defaults are.

I know, this all occurred when I first set it up, didn't like how easy TTT was in comparison to my friend's machine and the difficulty of starting the other movie MB's, and made some quick initial changes. I like it where it is. Valinor is super hard, but I've done it, but it will be a once every 2 year thing, which is EXACTLY where I want it for longevity and "special" factor for me, so I won't be changing anything from here on out

If there is one tip I would give to new people - don't make any machine too easy, work your way to the goals, you'll get there one day. It makes a world of difference in your perception of the accomplishment when you do.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

unless it's an EM that is suppose to be 5 ball

I have only one EM, and even that is 3 ball. I know they were 5 back then, but it just feels wrong to me, given I have only ever played 3 ball machines in my life. It's Hokus Pokus, and I can have some pretty long games rolling the over the top, and with extra balls, they turn into 4-5 ball games anyway.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

ooo 5 balls, that's ban vote territory

Tough crowd.

#130 10 years ago

Oh man. Saw something new just a few minutes ago (3 balls, all settings on hard, 2 shots to DTR, outlines in middle position).

Started Two Towers and was being helped out by a Gollum multi ball as well. Kept 4 balls in play throughout TT and beat it first try, then Super Jackpots, THEN victory laps. I've never seen those before! Very cool.

Also finished DTR. This pin is a blast.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have only one EM, and even that is 3 ball. I know they were 5 back then, but it just feels wrong to me, given I have only ever played 3 ball machines in my life. It's Hokus Pokus, and I can have some pretty long games rolling the over the top, and with extra balls, they turn into 4-5 ball games anyway.

I only have 1 EM as well (ball bowler doesn't count). But I have super Soccer. Which the playfield advances with each ball. If I put it on 3 ball, it would take away from that ball progressive advancement. It's pretty much designed to be 5 ball from the start. Plus game times are so damn short, 5 balls feels less than 3 balls on a DMD game.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

being helped out by a Gollum multi ball as well

I must not be the sharpest knife . I never understood what to do in Gollum Multi-Ball. Please explain the goal of this Mode .

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I must not be the sharpest knife . I never understood what to do in Gollum Multi-Ball. Please explain the goal of this Mode .

It doubles scoring and halves scoring in timed modes. Along with resurrecting multiballs. See below.

http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Along with resurrecting multiballs

That's the real advantage to this. Second life to get that gift. Nice to have it ready for FOTR and ROTK, not needed for TTT.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

That's the real advantage to this. Second life to get that gift. Nice to have it ready for FOTR and ROTK, not needed for TTT.

Yeah that's it. It's a pointless mode on it's own, really. Helps resurrecting multi balls and completing modes.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It's a pointless mode on it's own, really. Helps resurrecting multi balls and completing modes

If you combine all these plus 2x scoring you will score some big points. I scored 90 million on TTT multiball with 2x, gollum and a mode going.

#137 10 years ago

Much like TSPP, there are a lot of little nuances with LOTR and all the stuff to do. Thank god for Keith Johnson writing code, and now with Lyman’s ACDC code, these guys have not only pinball to the next level, they skipped a few in between.

#138 10 years ago

If you time your shots so you only hit stuff when he's Smeagle, then you can rack up the points. Hold the ball when he's gollum.

It's mainly for restarting multiball. If you have it lit, start multiball, when the second to the last ball drains, quickly shoot the gollum start before it rings up your multiball score and it will continue the multiball.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's mainly for restarting multiball. If you have it lit, start multiball, when the second to the last ball drains, quickly shoot the gollum start before it rings up your multiball score and it will continue the multiball.

This sounds great in theory, but when I owned the game, it seemed like I was never able to hit that Gollum shot when the pressure was on. Perhaps I just suck ...

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This sounds great in theory, but when I owned the game, it seemed like I was never able to hit that Gollum shot when the pressure was on. Perhaps I just suck ...

Like I mentioned earlier, it's something I think we all suffer from. I actually aim for just to the left of the hole, so that a slight hit on the entrance will absorb some speed.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Like I mentioned earlier, it's something I think we all suffer from. I actually aim for just to the left of the hole, so that a slight hit on the entrance will absorb some speed.

I always backhand that shot. makes it much smoother. You have a good 8 to 9 seconds to get it in there. what's the rush?

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I always backhand that shot. makes it much smoother. You have a good 8 to 9 seconds to get it in there. what's the rush?

I will attempt it from both sides, but yeah, with less speed from this right, it makes it in there more easily.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

+1 for me too

#144 10 years ago

I am able to hit the ring easily now without upgrading the coil. I fiddled with the flipper adjustments and adjusted the flipper angle. The one I got had the tip of the flippers below the little hole on the playfield. The ring shot was very hard like this. I just adjusted the flippers maybe a centemeter and aligned the tip of the flipper with that hole and now I am nailing the center shot. I had no idea it would make that big of a difference. It is even helping me backhand the sword ramp as well as hitting the gollum VUK.

#145 10 years ago

I have the original coils also, and no problem at all getting in the ring. I did discover that the very tip of the center ramp gets hit by balls deflecting out of and around the ring, or missed shots. This made the sharp tips bend up slightly and have a small bent spike of metal sticking up. I filed these off, polished and waxed the ramp itself, and no problems at all getting up the ramp.

#146 10 years ago

I have also found that superbands on the flippers really help make the ring shot makeable, even with original coils. Cheap $3 mod.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ring-destoyed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.