• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR_right_flipper (resized).jpg
LOTR_Left_Flipper (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm sure these are not the best photos, but I tried to capture a picture of the "good" flipper on my LOTR machine. It seems to have the normal EOS switch that is opened when the flipper is activated. The right flipper, though, has a single blade switch, which obviously does nothing. I assume that I need to replace the EOS switch on the right flipper? If I understand flippers correctly, the lack of an EOS switch means that the flipper always high current and voltage, instead of the minimal amount that would be present if the EOS switch was functional.

Anyone in the Atlanta area want to offer to help me replace this switch? This would be the first attempt at soldering anything, and the switch contacts look pretty small...

Thanks in advance for any help.

LOTR_Left_Flipper (resized).jpgLOTR_Left_Flipper (resized).jpg

LOTR_right_flipper (resized).jpgLOTR_right_flipper (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Modern games can usually account for a missing/malfunctioning EOS and won't overheat, but can't hurt to replace. Soldering the switch is a good first time practice, they're not that small. You can solder the wires to the new switch before screwing it in, so you'll have plenty of room to work and see what you're doing

#3 6 years ago

The one blade broke off on the right one. It happens. But yeah, it needs replaced.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Modern games can usually account for a missing/malfunctioning EOS and won't overheat, but can't hurt to replace. Soldering the switch is a good first time practice, they're not that small. You can solder the wires to the new switch before screwing it in, so you'll have plenty of room to work and see what you're doing

Thanks for the advice! The right flipper seems to get weak faster than the left one does, especially during a long game. I was thinking I would probably replace both of the flipper coils with the "medium" strength ones sold by one of the vendors on Pinside (already have those in hand, still waiting for the EOS switches to come in). The coil replacement seems to be a less intimidating first soldering project since the lugs on the coils are HUGE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 7.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-right-flipper-has-no-eos-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.