Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by parsonsaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOTR_right_flipper (resized).jpg
LOTR_Left_Flipper (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'm sure these are not the best photos, but I tried to capture a picture of the "good" flipper on my LOTR machine. It seems to have the normal EOS switch that is opened when the flipper is activated. The right flipper, though, has a single blade switch, which obviously does nothing. I assume that I need to replace the EOS switch on the right flipper? If I understand flippers correctly, the lack of an EOS switch means that the flipper always high current and voltage, instead of the minimal amount that would be present if the EOS switch was functional.

Anyone in the Atlanta area want to offer to help me replace this switch? This would be the first attempt at soldering anything, and the switch contacts look pretty small...

Thanks in advance for any help.

LOTR_Left_Flipper (resized).jpg

LOTR_right_flipper (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Modern games can usually account for a missing/malfunctioning EOS and won't overheat, but can't hurt to replace. Soldering the switch is a good first time practice, they're not that small. You can solder the wires to the new switch before screwing it in, so you'll have plenty of room to work and see what you're doing

#3 1 year ago

The one blade broke off on the right one. It happens. But yeah, it needs replaced.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Modern games can usually account for a missing/malfunctioning EOS and won't overheat, but can't hurt to replace. Soldering the switch is a good first time practice, they're not that small. You can solder the wires to the new switch before screwing it in, so you'll have plenty of room to work and see what you're doing

Thanks for the advice! The right flipper seems to get weak faster than the left one does, especially during a long game. I was thinking I would probably replace both of the flipper coils with the "medium" strength ones sold by one of the vendors on Pinside (already have those in hand, still waiting for the EOS switches to come in). The coil replacement seems to be a less intimidating first soldering project since the lugs on the coils are HUGE

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside