Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sscnz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have been slowly cleaning my LOTR, putting down a playfield protector, changing to LED and some general cleanup of playfield and components. I started up the machine for the first time in about 6 months and quickly discovered that the right flipper has stopped working (I had already re-built the flippers prior, new coils, EOS switches etc. and they were in perfect condition before the clean-up job =).

In the dedicated switch test menu, #4 Right Flipper EOS is always on but the left flipper is not. I somehow thought that they should both be on? If I manually move the right flipper to disengage the EOS, the #4 switch in the diag turns off. Both flipper buttons work as expected.

Same as this older post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-right-flipper-pain
But, when I perform the coil test, both left and right flippers work fine (which isn't the case in that post).

So, I have tested:
Coil resistance: 3 ohms
Coil voltage: 74v
Coil diag tests works for both flippers
Replacing the right flipper EOS switch to a brand new one

I'm planning to pull out the I/O board and check for burnt traces as well as test the Q16 transistor tomorrow but I'm not convinced that it can be an issue considering that the coil test is working, or?

What else should I be testing?

Thanks!
/S

#2 5 years ago

I would check the flipper button and switch up through the connectors for sure if you haven’t yet.

The EOS switch is on the matrix, could be a switch matrix issue. Maybe you shorted another switch/broke a diode while doing LEDs on a row or column?

If you are flipping in test mode it’s not the main flip power transistor. Indicates a switch issue.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I would check the flipper button and switch up through the connectors for sure if you haven’t yet.
The EOS switch is on the matrix, could be a switch matrix issue. Maybe you shorted another switch/broke a diode while doing LEDs on a row or column?
If you are flipping in test mode it’s not the main flip power transistor. Indicates a switch issue.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I'll start checking the switch matrix. If I just got rid of this annoying thing called work so I could concentrate on fixing my pin. =)

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from sscnz:

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I'll start checking the switch matrix. If I just got rid of this annoying thing called work so I could concentrate on fixing my pin. =)

Ok. So lesson learnt, try the simple things first before jumping to conclusions and think about potential broken transistors, traces etc. I guess the mind is set on the last similar issue (I had to replace the flipper transistor on my white water). The EOS switches on the LOTR has dedicated wires and aren't part of the switch matrix.. but the two EOS switches share a ground wire. Turns out that the ground wire attached on the left flipper EOS had a bad solder. Looking forward to playing in the weekend! =)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-right-flipper-dead-need-some-guidance-on-what-to-test-next and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.