Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lb1
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 152 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

So I got this nice HUO LOTR from a pinball friend. After spending nearly 3 years restoring a TZ, parts everywhere in the house, multiple stop-and-go's, months without doing anything, I swore I would never do anything like that again. But once you get used to a mint condition machine and a clear coated playfield, it's hard to go back to playing a game that hasn't been at least shopped. Being a LOTR on top of it, I couldn't resist.

Since there hasn't been a LOTR cleanup documented, I thought I would share a few pictures of what I have been up to.

#2 3 years ago

Game is in a nice shape but needs a bit of cleaning in the wooden areas. Also, the center insert has a tiny hairline crack all around. There was a bunch of touch ups around inserts, I think from the factory, probably before the clear was applied.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

I'm intrigued

#5 3 years ago

I never did figure out how to get the grime out of the wood areas, always imagined how nice it would be to seal in a new playfield like it should have been from the factory.

#6 3 years ago

Some example of a very light almost unnoticeable ghosting on an insert, with on the right some (factory?) touch up.
The playfield is a little dull and has some dimpling all over it. Hopefully the clear will take care of that.

image_(resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Some example of a very light almost unnoticeable ghosting on an insert, with on the right some (factory?) touch up.

Believe it or not I've seen worse touch ups from Chicago Gaming (who make the PFs for Stern).

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Believe it or not I've seen worse touch ups from Chicago Gaming (who make the PFs for Stern).

I am not surprised. When I first saw this, I thought the first owner had taken a sharpie over the clear. After trying to remove it with some alcohol and magic eraser, I realized it was factory. The Orc inserts are a bit worse but are also further away from the player.

#9 3 years ago

Here is a closer pic of the Orc inserts.

image_(resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago

The playfied was completely disassembled. Not much to report except that this time around I did not pull it out and set on the rotisserie and instead did more or less everything in place. With the help of a double pulley to pull it out.

image_(resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

The very first time I lifted up the playfield all the way after getting the game, I noticed that the bottom end of the playfield was resting not on the flat metal bars with a curved end that are screwed under the playfield (the edge slides), but on the woodrails. Somehow the bars are not long enough. The mini playfield also ends up hitting the metal rails that are attached to the cabinet, and the very bottom left plastic that sits in the angle got broken as a result. In the first pic below, you can see the metal sliding bracket not resting on the rail.

I considered doing something to avoid this, but I'm not sure it wouldn't create some other problem.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else noticed the same problem.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#12 3 years ago

Inside cabinet on its way to being cleaned.

image_(resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#14 3 years ago

Preparing for blades and a light respray.
This time around I just wanted to clean up the top of the inside without redoing the whole thing and in particular redoing the ground braid.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago

Following... Looking forward to the progress. I know what you mean by getting used to a certain condition. You can never go back once you get a taste.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Following... Looking forward to the progress. I know what you mean by getting used to a certain condition. You can never go back once you get a taste.

I am working on turning down the OCD for the stuff that's not visible. What's under the playfield is getting cleaned in the small ultra sonic cleaner I have, but does not get polished. Of course, I could sand the inside of the cabinet, fill every single small gauge, etc... But then it won't be long before I scratch it lifting the playfield. So this time I am focusing on the playfield.

#17 3 years ago

I sent the playfield to HSA for some minor touch up and a clear coat. I debated whether or not to attempt the clear coat but I just don't have enough space to set up a spray booth. And I would not even come close result wise.

The habitrails, the sword, and the ramps I sent to Mike Chesnut the Sunday before he passed away. Really sad to die so tragically. It reminded me of Coluche, one of France's most famous stand up comedian. He was an avid rider. He actually beat the world speed record in 1985. The following year, he hit truck that had not seen him on his bike.

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

The left side of the the center ramp entrance got hit pretty bad. The metal had mushroomed. I grinded the whole thing and drilled two holes. Once the ramp comes back from plating I might add some rubber protector.

image_(resized).jpg

#19 3 years ago

The front of the coin door had a small chip. I was hoping to figure out a way to recreate the texture where the chip was and respray the door. I couldn't. If someone has some tip on how to recreate the texture I would be interested in hearing about it.

image_(resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago

Lockbar after some Mothers TLC.

image_(resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

POTD before and after Treasure Cove polish kit treatment.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

POTD before and after Treasure Cove polish kit treatment.

That looks awesome! Great job!

Where did you get the green mini post rubber?

#23 3 years ago

Ditto. I really like the green choice. It works. Are those Titan bands?

#24 3 years ago

These are the super band 3/8" - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3358.
I was surprised the POTD polished that well. It might end up being the highlight of the thread.

#25 3 years ago

So tonight started slowly but safely. Cabinet speaker and shooter rod experiment.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#26 3 years ago

Then it turned into basically total amateur hour. Second coat of paint on the speaker panel that's way too hot and melts the previous one. It happened to me before on a Monopoly but some things I don't seem to learn. I'll be sanding this weekend that's for sure.

image_(resized).jpg

#27 3 years ago

Speaker panel sanded and painted with rust oleum semi gloss spray enamel. I got a satin glossy-ish by spraying from high up and letting the droplets land gently on the surface.

image_(resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago

Back to the shooter experiment.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

Just a FYI, you will probably have to clear over that or the gold. It will rub off on pretty much everything that touches it very quickly.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Just a FYI, you will probably have to clear over that or the gold. It will rub off on pretty much everything that touches it very quickly.

That's good to know. I was debating whether or not to use this as an excuse to finally play with 2PAC. Now there is no turning back.

#31 3 years ago

Well don't take my word for it. I'm not familiar with that manufacturer. It has just been my experience with "metallic" coatings such as gold and silver. I would test it on someplace inconspicuous and see if any transfers to your fingers with moderate pressure or slight wiping motions.

#32 3 years ago

Your POTD turned out good. I had flame polished mine with similar results a couple years ago. I may consider copying your green rubber as well.

#33 3 years ago

I did a light flame polishing but it did not do much and I was worried being too aggressive would lead to some irreversible damage.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Well don't take my word for it. I'm not familiar with that manufacturer. It has just been my experience with "metallic" coatings such as gold and silver. I would test it on someplace inconspicuous and see if any transfers to your fingers with moderate pressure or slight wiping motions.

I am pretty sure you are spot on. It's just a matter of time before it starts wearing off. It will not take much to clear coat Gollum and not to have to worry about it. As long as I don't end up melting the paint that is.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I am pretty sure you are spot on. It's just a matter of time before it starts wearing off. It will not take much to clear coat Gollum and not to have to worry about it. As long as I don't end up melting the paint that is.

Well, clear and metallic paint don't play well together. I used some Rust Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel in a spray can. It dulled the golden color, and in some areas, it actually thinned the plaint enough that the underlying plastic started showing up. More work needed.

#36 3 years ago

New approach. OSH metallic gold with multiple very light coats of clear. Problem solved.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#37 3 years ago

I switched to the play field back panel. Quite a bit going on with the decal wrinkled.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#38 3 years ago

Cleaned up, sanded and with the back cleared with satin Varathane.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#39 3 years ago

I got a NOS decal from Marco, but it is not perfect. There is a very tiny area that's delaminated. Basically, due to shipping the decal folded. I am considering using it to create a vinyl decal. Since the NOS no longer seems available, this would be good to have a back up too.

#40 3 years ago

A few pics showing what happened next. I painted the backboard semi-gloss black. I scanned the decal as a backup just in case.
The decal was applied wet with some Windex and a rubber roller. Applying wet makes it super easy to perfectly align the decal with the holes.

#41 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago

In attempt to improve things a bit, I used a X-acto knife to cut the pieces of clear film that had delaminated and applied some 2PAC on top. Not perfect, but it makes the problem a bit less obvious.

#43 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#44 3 years ago

While I was distracted thinking about the wrinkling and delamination, I forgot there was a T-nut that had to be installed back BEFORE the decal. I wasn't a happy camper when I realized my screw up. More on this later.

#45 3 years ago

I have been playing with leds. Speakers, the Ring, passage way....

#46 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#47 3 years ago

One outstanding question is whether the Ring's leds will interfere with the opto sensor. Even if connected with flashers, it could be a problem. I will run an experiment with some test led strips and another game and see.

#48 3 years ago

I finally got one of these. One minute to install the GI and other lamps back with a bunch of other stuff in the way.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#49 3 years ago

Can't wait to see that playfield when you get it back.

2 weeks later
#50 3 years ago

Since the playfield is out at HSA, and I am pretty much done with the cab and cleaning parts, I had a bit of time on my hands to experiment with a homegrown mod. See for yourself with the pictures.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 25.00
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 219.99
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
El Paso, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn , NY
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside