palantir (resized).jpg
20180419_231407 (resized).jpg
20180419_231444 (resized).jpg
20180419_231500 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180509_021423.jpg
IMG_20180509_005414.jpg
20180508_212003.jpg
IMG_20180504_133942.jpg
There are 645 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 9 years ago

...precisely what I would have wanted all along. Brightness somewhere between the two that doesn't leave spots in my eyes after the game.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

DOH! I apologize, this was definitely not my intent. I'm trying to provide an upgrade path for the new stuff that is cost effective and as fair as possible without screwing myself over for the labor and materials that go into making new ones. I have thought about not updating the Palantir at all because of how it would make the earlier adopters feel...
Regarding the addon module, one cool thing about it is that it will be available in different versions. There will be a version that allows for the smooth glowing effect without dimming for those that have a v4 or earlier or for those that have a Retina Burner on a bright machine. I'll also make one that dims more significantly for those that have a Retina Burner but are looking for a brightness version closer to the v4s.
-Jay

Jay must work for "Apple"! This is a great mod. I love it - keep up the great work Jay.

1 week later
#303 9 years ago

How much does this V4 cost?

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...precisely what I would have wanted all along. Brightness somewhere between the two that doesn't leave spots in my eyes after the game.

Last night, I added a series resistor to dim my retina burner to a brightness closer to what I prefer for my game. I ended up at 220 ohm, but that's obviously dependent on your own preferences. Jay's addon sounds like it will provide more flexibility, but I'm happy with the results of just using a bigger current limiting resistor. It's now in a range where LED OCD can be used more effectively to fine tune the brightness as well as smoothing the fading effects.

1 week later
#305 9 years ago

I finally installed the fader to the retina burner I had. MASSIVE difference. Takes the brightness down where you would want it, adds a very slow and soft fading effect, looks perfect now. Super happy with this mod.

If you have a LOTR, you are going to want this. It's too cool to not have.

Thanks for making this!

#306 9 years ago

Here is a video showing the Fader Module on a v4. These are now available on my website for anyone that has a v4, v5 Standard and also for earlier versions of the Palantir. It creates a subtle fading effect of the eye that eliminates flickering and strobing from the game code, without changing the brightness.

#307 9 years ago

This video shows the v5 Retina Burner with the Dimming Fader Module. The brighter eye allows us to really extend and smooth the dimming effect while keeping everything in a tight package under the Palantir bracket. Thanks for everyone who helped test the v5 prototypes as well as the Fader Modules... especially Atomicboy who helped me realize how annoying the game's flickering of the Palantir lamp can get

#310 9 years ago

Are you still taking pre-orders or good to order?

#311 9 years ago

I'd like one too..how do I order?

#312 9 years ago

The clarity in the vid doesn't do it justice. It's much more stunning in person. I'm an in the middle modd guy, but this one really works well.

#313 9 years ago

I ordered v5 Retina Burner with the fader yesterday off the website. Cant wait to get this in my LOTR!

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from CptAwesomest:

I ordered v5 Retina Burner with the fader yesterday off the website. Cant wait to get this in my LOTR!

Did you read the part where it says not to order unless it's been confirmed that yours is ready?

1 week later
#315 9 years ago

Does anyone else have flickering when the Palantir is active? Mine flickers on and off. Not really a dimming. It's the newest version and I just got it installed.

This is mine and doesn't seem to be doing the dimming and fading...

#316 9 years ago

There are no numbers or letters on the connector.
Here are some pictures of the product received for the seller to look over:
01-IMG_9269-001.JPG01-IMG_9269-001.JPG
02-IMG_9268-001.JPG02-IMG_9268-001.JPG
03-IMG_9267-001.JPG03-IMG_9267-001.JPG
04-IMG_9264-001.JPG04-IMG_9264-001.JPG
07-IMG_9260-001.JPG07-IMG_9260-001.JPG
08-IMG_9261-001.JPG08-IMG_9261-001.JPG
09-IMG_9262-001.JPG09-IMG_9262-001.JPG
10-IMG_9263-001.JPG10-IMG_9263-001.JPG
06-IMG_9266-001.JPG06-IMG_9266-001.JPG

#317 9 years ago

With the fader add on thing, mine does not do anything like that anymore.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

With the fader add on thing, mine does not do anything like that anymore.

Mine was supposed to be with the dimming and fader V5. Just got it about two weeks ago.

#319 9 years ago

I don't have a picture of mine, but the adaptor/connector looks different than the one I received. Send Jay a PM if you haven't already.

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

I don't have a picture of mine, but the adaptor/connector looks different than the one I received. Send Jay a PM if you haven't already.

Already done. He asked me to post some images. Hopefully, he can send me what is missing.

#321 9 years ago

Jay is definitely good at sorting out the issues, again, super product.

#322 9 years ago

I've tried contacting Jay about something and he's not responding. Anyone know the best way to raise him?

#323 9 years ago

Judremy: it doesn't look like you have the Dimming Fader module installed in these pictures, just a standard connector. I sent you a PM with more details and to discuss what I think happened.

Thewool: I sent you a message as well about shipping options. Unfortunately, my international shipping options kinda suck if I want things to be covered by paypal/insurance and I apologize for that. I wish I could ship stuff as cheap as our friends in China. They seem to be able to ship to the other side of the world for literally 1/10th the cost that I can.

Everyone else who is waiting for my PM responses: I'm a little behind right now due to some supply parts that dried up for the Retina Burner / Dimming Fader Module combo since that is what everyone is ordering now. The part I'm missing I have only one known source for so I'm on hold until they come in. I'm hoping that will be this week in which case I will be contacting Pinsiders for another batch of shipments soon.

-Jay

PS: if anyone in the Eastern PA area is looking for some pinball fun this weekend, we are having an IFPA registered July 5th Pinball and Pool party at my house. Details are on my website. We currently have 3 slots left for the main event and are also doing a side tournament which will be open to anyone.

#324 9 years ago

Jay, I sent you a few reply PMs. Just so everyone knows, I don't think I ordered the wrong product. When I ordered, I recall the site having two listings only: "Palantir v5 retina burner with fader and dimming module" and "Palantir v5 standard with fader and dimming module". Of course, now the site has different listings, but I swear this is how it was. When it added to my cart, it just said retina burner v5, so I am thinking that might have been the mix-up. Not placing blame, just trying to figure out what occurred. I didn't even see a way to order the retina burner without the fader and dimming when I ordered.

#325 9 years ago

Does anyone recall if V5 was ever offered without the fader and dimming module or was that v4? I thought the price went from $100 to $125 when the dimming and fader were added. I was more than happy to pay for that though since it looks so much better. Also, the size of the crystal is MUCH bigger than is shown on the website.

Has anyone been able to change the left/right orientation of the crystal? My eye is showing toward if you were standing in from of the shooter lane and not in between the flippers. Seems a bit off. I have changed the elevation with the washer under the side screw deal.

#326 9 years ago

Ok, good news. We figured it all out. I was confused because the DESCRIPTION of the product references the dimming fader module, but doesn't say it comes with it. But it also doesn't say it is "sold separately". That would be my one suggestion so people know to order both parts: the mod and the module both.

Jay is helping me greatly on this and I have to give him kudos. It wasn't his mistake, but he is understanding and helpful like everyone says. A+ guy.

#327 9 years ago

Jay. Definitely put me down for a v5 with the fader / dimmer.

Just don't want to get lost in the shuffle.

#328 9 years ago

Jay, I'll take a version 5 with fader please.

1 week later
#329 9 years ago

^also interested in purchase! Hope everything worked out with the missing parts Jay. Thanks .

2 weeks later
#330 9 years ago

Hi Jay,

searched the complete homepage but can't find any contact info, so i might as well give it a try here on pinside:
Do you ship international? I'd love to buy your latest Palantir mod and live in Germany. It's a small and light article, so it should work well to ship overseas at a reasonable rate...

Thanks & Cheers,
Ralph

#331 9 years ago

Jay,

Can I ship you my parts and you do the fader upgrade conversion for me for my retina burner? I received the parts, but no idea what to solder to what.

#332 9 years ago

DarkWizard: yes no problem. Are you coming to our PinCrossing Summer Classic tournament on August 23rd? I could do it for you then and save you shipping if you like.

Someoneelse: I do ship international. I ship USPS Air Mail which isn't particularly cheap for a Palantir but it gets things delivered quickly and covers tracking, insurance, etc.

Everyone else waiting patiently for me: I know I'm still way behind on responding to PMs for orders. I started a new job that is keeping me crazy busy and I've been trying to run more pinball tournaments this summer than a sane person probably should be but I know you guys don't want to hear excuses The good news is that the parts are in and I just need to get things together for shipping the next batch out. Hopefully I can make some progress in the next week or so. I will continue to process everything in the order I receive PM requests.

-Jay

#333 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

DarkWizard: yes no problem. Are you coming to our PinCrossing Summer Classic tournament on August 23rd? I could do it for you then and save you shipping if you like.
-Jay

Looks like I'll have to ship it in. Wife already planned a cirque du soleil outing for that day...

3 weeks later
#335 9 years ago

Sent a PM yesterday for one also

#336 9 years ago

So guess I'm now in the correct thread

I got this mod in Jan 14 (the version 2) and it "was" looking incredible. But after few hours of operating (max 4 hours) it doesn't light up anymore ;(
Power is ok, I tested it with a normal bulb and every time Palantir gets a hit the bulb is lighting, so I'm sure it must be a defect with the Mod (maybe the LED) itself

Did anyone detect the same issue after few hours of operating?

I informed Jay, maybe / hopefully it's an easy fix but as everything is compound filled I can not do any further checks.

Thanks for your help to get this great mod up and running again

#337 9 years ago

Did someone got any response from Jay in the last couple of days?

#338 9 years ago

He hopefully should assist you soon. He was great with my purchase and working with a transition into a later revision of the mod.

#339 9 years ago

I sent him a message on August 11th and another follow up message 2 weeks after and have got no response...

#340 9 years ago

Although he is visiting pinside every day. I checked the status but I didn't get any response from him either.
Maybe he is busy but a short notice that he will deal with my problem would help me to be more patient.

#341 9 years ago

Hi Jay,
thanks for contacting me and offer me a extremely satisfactory solution.
I'm happy to get back that incredible Mod for my LOTR.

Thanks Pat

1 week later
#342 9 years ago

Got a pm from Jay that my v4 is ready to be shipped. He stated to go to his site and place the order. I attempted to ask a question before I ordered but he has not responded. My question is whether the v4 comes with a fader or does that have to be ordered in addition? Anyone know?

Thanks Martin

#343 9 years ago

Has anyone been able to replace the bulb in theirs? My bulb went dead and I need to replace it with out destroying the eye.

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Got a pm from Jay that my v4 is ready to be shipped. He stated to go to his site and place the order. I attempted to ask a question before I ordered but he has not responded. My question is whether the v4 comes with a fader or does that have to be ordered in addition? Anyone know?
Thanks Martin

Same here. I placed my order 2 days ago and added the dimming fader module to the cart. As far as i understand this thread none of the Palantirs have the module included.
Shipment is on the way and i asked the same question as you when ordering, so i guess it was right.

#345 9 years ago

Just heard from Jay for my V4 w/trimmer. Placing order now. Been waiting a long time for this one. Thanks Jay

#346 9 years ago

Just heard from Jay that my v4 is ready as well.
I am only seeing v5 when I go to his site though. PM has been sent asking if I should just use the v5 to checkout.

Faders are sold on their own.

#347 9 years ago

Went ahead and sent payment and checked out with the v5 version. Looking forward to getting this bad boy.
Thanks Jay!

#348 9 years ago

I'm sorry about the v4 reference in the emails that went out for the last batch, that was a mistake. I'm only shipping v5s now. I have ~12 units ready to go that started shipping this week.

For those ordering, I strongly recommend the dimming fader module. The few people that have purchased a v5 without a dimming fader over the past several months have later decided they want one.

Please also note, that in the near future I plan to stop accepting PM reservations for Palantirs. I'm finding that the time I spend trying to keep track of all my messages about Palantirs is taking away from the spare time I have to actually make them. It has also introducing a delay for a few people that have run into problems, due to their messages get intermixed with Palantir request messages.

Don't worry, production is not stopping, but when a batch is done I will simply post in this thread and then it will be first come first serve on the website. I will also complete the current backlog of requests before the switch. I apologize in advance for anyone annoyed by the change but I do believe it will ultimately provide a better quality of service to the community.

-Jay

#349 9 years ago

Will the web page track inventory to avoid over-selling?
We're certainly interested..

#350 9 years ago

Thanks for the info Jay!
I really appreciate your time and the work it must take to do these. Can't wait to get mine.
Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
There are 645 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.