palantir (resized).jpg
20180419_231407 (resized).jpg
20180419_231444 (resized).jpg
20180419_231500 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180509_021423.jpg
IMG_20180509_005414.jpg
20180508_212003.jpg
IMG_20180504_133942.jpg

There are 645 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 9 years ago

still waiting for my place to come up in line.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

still waiting for my place to come up in line.

Same! Awesome mod.. I like the WoZ trick, but you're right... the pixels get so enlarged and grainy it doesn't look nearly as nice as this, IMO.

#53 9 years ago

This weekend, I just installed the third design in my machine. Jay has been sending me his latest updates, and I have been providing him with feedback. A lot of it depends on personal preference, but IMO, each one has been progressively better.

The first one he sent me was an experiment using a different adhesive that (if I understand correctly) was more clear, but not as strong. The ball did separate from the base on that one, so Jay is not using that adhesive any more. The light in that one was really bright, so if you like really bright lighting, you may want to ask him about what the difference was in that one. The drawback to the bright lighting is that it washes out the colors of the eye somewhat.

The lighting in my machine is more subtle, and the second mod he sent me matched my machine better. If you have LEDs in your machine, that one may have been a bit dim in comparison. Jay also changed the way the alignment was changed. This is necessary because people have different stances when they play, and depending on the angle you look at the eye, it does move around a bit.

The one I installed this weekend is slightly brighter, and is a great balance between brightness and rich color, IMO. This one was aligned perfectly for my height and stance, so I didn't have to adjust it any.

If any of my comments above sound negative, that is not my intention. I'm just trying to give it a fair critique. It is a REALLY cool mod, and it looks great. Installation is a piece of cake, and Jay has put a lot of work into getting it as near perfect as possible.

#54 9 years ago

I'm ready to test one here

3 weeks later
#55 9 years ago

Add me to your waiting list! Look forward to the ordering info...looks awesome!

#56 9 years ago

Great work. Fantastic mod. Please add me to the waiting list!

#57 9 years ago

Add me as well. PM coming your way...

#58 9 years ago

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the progress of this mod.

First, I'm working on a source of newly manufactured Palantir brackets as the original supply from Stern has been exhausted. The first step in that process is to get a manufacturing prototype made. Once I confirm it is correct I will be placing a full order. The brackets are designed in such a way that if they don't fit just right they won't stay in place properly so we need to make sure they are made right on an actual LOTR playfield first. Unfortunately it is going to take another ~6 weeks to complete this process, which will delay my original estimates for shipping, but the good news is that I'll be able to have them pre-mounted on a bracket which makes the installation significantly easier. If you are not on the list and want to be added please send me a PM. Keep in mind that it will be at least 8 weeks until I'm able to get to those that are joining the list now.

Next, I've updated the design to further address the bonding issues. The last batch was significantly improved from the first few that were produced, but I have continued to enhance the design to help prevent potential problems in harsh environments (continuous air ball hits, freeze/thaw cycles during shipping, etc).

I have also made some cosmetic improvements, mostly to the unit that projects the eye through the crystal ball. The original design had plastic and wires protruding back out of the unit by about an inch and those wires then needed to be wrapped around the hex post or otherwise tucked out of the way. Batch 3 is fully encased in epoxy resin and has the wiring come down at a 90 degree angle for a nice clean look that should be more protected from potential wear over time. The mounting to the bracket is also slightly improved to look cleaner.

Last, while the brightness was enhanced in the last batch but I've made another design change for batch 3 that allows for what I consider to be "full" brightness. Any brighter and I think we would start to get complaints that it is too bright! I'm interested in feedback of course. I have a handful of brackets left and will be able to send out a few over the next several weeks. I made a quick video of batch 3, the first of which shipped on Saturday. Here is the video :

Hopefully we will see some feedback/pictures/etc from batch 3 as pinsiders get them in and installed in their games. With any design change there is always a potential for something to go wrong so if anyone runs into any issues or problems please let me know so I can get them resolved.

-Jay

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the progress of this mod.
First, I'm working on a source of newly manufactured Palantir brackets as the original supply from Stern has been exhausted. The first step in that process is to get a manufacturing prototype made. Once I confirm it is correct I will be placing a full order. The brackets are designed in such a way that if they don't fit just right they won't stay in place properly so we need to make sure they are made right on an actual LOTR playfield first. Unfortunately it is going to take another ~6 weeks to complete this process, which will delay my original estimates for shipping, but the good news is that I'll be able to have them pre-mounted on a bracket which makes the installation significantly easier. If you are not on the list and want to be added please send me a PM. Keep in mind that it will be at least 8 weeks until I'm able to get to those that are joining the list now.
Next, I've updated the design to further address the bonding issues. The last batch was significantly improved from the first few that were produced, but I have continued to enhance the design to help prevent potential problems in harsh environments (continuous air ball hits, freeze/thaw cycles during shipping, etc).
I have also made some cosmetic improvements, mostly to the unit that projects the eye through the crystal ball. The original design had plastic and wires protruding back out of the unit by about an inch and those wires then needed to be wrapped around the hex post or otherwise tucked out of the way. Batch 3 is fully encased in epoxy resin and has the wiring come down at a 90 degree angle for a nice clean look that should be more protected from potential wear over time. The mounting to the bracket is also slightly improved to look cleaner.
Last, while the brightness was enhanced in the last batch but I've made another design change for batch 3 that allows for what I consider to be "full" brightness. Any brighter and I think we would start to get complaints that it is too bright! I'm interested in feedback of course. I have a handful of brackets left and will be able to send out a few over the next several weeks. I made a quick video of batch 3, the first of which shipped on Saturday. Here is the video : » YouTube video
Hopefully we will see some feedback/pictures/etc from batch 3 as pinsiders get them in and installed in their games. With any design change there is always a potential for something to go wrong so if anyone runs into any issues or problems please let me know so I can get them resolved.
-Jay

Looks great! PLEASE let me know when you are good to go! I definitely want to get one!

#60 9 years ago

Thanks for the update. Thanks also for the constant improvements to your mod.

#61 9 years ago

If I'm not already on the list, please add me. Tks

#62 9 years ago

Joined Pinside today and this is my first post. I'm very interested in this mod. How do you add games into your collection?

#63 9 years ago

Really looking forward to it, but I am happy to wait. Thanks!

#64 9 years ago

Wow! That IS cool!!

lordringseye.gif

#65 9 years ago

I got this mod from Jay a while ago. There are a bunch of mods on my machine, and this is by far the coolest one. It seems it should have been in the original design. It definitely is my family's favorite addition. I've designed a few mods before for my machines and trying now to possibly bring one of my ideas to you guys. Rest assured dealing with Jay has been fantastic.
( btw- if theres a T2 in your house ,hold off on putting anything on top of it)

#66 9 years ago

WHAT exactly do you mean by that????

#67 9 years ago

Super top cool

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

( btw- if theres a T2 in your house ,hold off on putting anything on top of it)

Well??? There IS a T2 in my house with only a few toys on it. What is coming up??

#69 9 years ago

Looks great Jay!
I am glad on I am on your list....I can't wait...
Keep up the great work!

#70 9 years ago

What's the price on this mod?

Really looks great! Good work on this mod!!

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

The projected eye mod is $100 shipped.

#72 9 years ago

I'm not one for mods, but this one looks awesome. If I had a LOTR I would really have to think about this one.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

I'm not one for mods, but this one looks awesome. If I had a LOTR I would really have to think about this one.

Yeah, but you don't have one.

#74 9 years ago

!

spit_take.gif

#75 9 years ago

Greetings Jay.

A superb Job, that shows a mountain of work to achieve.

The price is insanely generous too!

A fan here, No longer a LOTR owner, but look forward to anything else you do.

First rate work!

1 week later
#76 9 years ago

This mod looks amazing. Thanks for the hard work.

#77 9 years ago

100$ shipped, also to the Netherlands?

#79 9 years ago

This is awesome!

Honestly..One of the best mods I have ever seen.

I have studied holograms for awhile and I am wondering if you are using the new NUBUS technology on this?

Once again.Great job! Looking forward to the final product.

-Joe

#80 9 years ago

Gonna send you a PM now, Please put me on the list.

#81 9 years ago

Added a LOTR to my collection. This looks like the must-have mod. PM sent.

1 month later
#82 9 years ago

please add me as well

#83 9 years ago

And me, Australians need cool things too.

PM sent.

#84 9 years ago

Please add me too
PM sent

#85 9 years ago

I'm on this list. Can't wait until he gets started up again, I'm getting tired of looking at my plain old acrylic ball with the visible screw up the center.

1 week later
#86 9 years ago

Recieved my palantir and installed it this weekend. This was the easiest mod I ever installed...took all of 10 minutes and would have been faster but I pulled out the wrong screwdriver.
Professionally manufactured, beautiful clear ball and eye projects perfectly. This one looks like it came from factory.
Nice job Jay! Would have inserted a pic but looks just like the one in the thread.

#87 9 years ago

Gee...can this be put on a Scared Stiff?

#88 9 years ago

Awesome mod. Installed a few weeks back and it gets a lot of attention from folks. With Zdoor's cube on my Hulk and the eye on LOTR there is a pretty good centerpiece for both now.

#89 9 years ago

Forgot to add my 2 cents to this thread. Yes, the install seriously takes less than a minute! The palantir does not look too big at all, either, and really fits in well. Also the eye looks good from a number of angles, too. For example, I'm 6'1 and the eye looks nice and centered, meanwhile my wife is 5'4 and she also sees the eye just fine.

#90 9 years ago

Installed mine, very easy to do. Really a finishing touch to the machine, a must have mod.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Gee...can this be put on a Scared Stiff

Not a bad idea. SS could use a crystal ball since it’s referenced in several places in the game (playfield, DMD, and spider wheel).

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Gee...can this be put on a Scared Stiff?

Ted, ask Jay if he could mod one for you. I would say the ball is 1 1/2 to 2 times larger than the original ball on Lotr. (Little smaller than the ball on woz). It fits in perfectly for Lotr. Like OW said, this is a must have mod.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Ted, ask Jay if he could mod one for you.

JAY! Can you put anything else in that Crystal Ball?...a worthy Scared Stiff Mod...

#94 9 years ago

Jay can you add me to your LOTR palantir list. Thank You

#95 9 years ago

Am I still on the list Jay??

#96 9 years ago

I want one too pm sent two weeks ago

#97 9 years ago

I sent a PM too. I want one...bad!

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I want one too pm sent two weeks ago

Get in line buddy. I sent my PM 2 months ago.

#99 9 years ago

Installed mine. I thought it was broken at first. Looked like there was a bright spot in ball. Turned out overhead can positioned just right to make a hotspot in ball. With overhead cans off it looks great. Very cool mod.

#100 9 years ago

Jay, put me on the list. Thanks Mike Paris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Dystopic Pinball
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
There are 645 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!