Topic Stats

• 636 posts
  • 242 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 67 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180427_161720 (resized).jpg
20180427_161748 (resized).jpg
20180427_161903 (resized).jpg
20180427_161854 (resized).jpg
20180427_162403 (resized).jpg
20180520_164349 (resized).jpg
20180521_183548 (resized).jpg
20180521_012009 (resized).jpg
palantir (resized).jpg
20180419_231407 (resized).jpg
20180419_231444 (resized).jpg
20180419_231500 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180509_021423.jpg
IMG_20180509_005414.jpg
20180508_212003.jpg
IMG_20180504_133942.jpg

There are 636 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
#1 6 years ago

Someone suggested there should be a separate thread for this mod from the animated Palantir thread http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-animated-palantir-mod

The discussion on the projected eye mod should continue here and the animated version in the other thread.

This mod is a complete replacement for the original Palantir and mount that can be dropped into place after attaching the lamp socket extension. It does not require unscrewing the old Palantir like my initial design. This simplifies installation and prevents modification of the old mount. All components are heavy duty typical playfield grade. Cuts were made on a diamond wheel and all bonding and embedding is with epoxy resins. I'm sure it will show some signs of wear after enough airball hits, but it should hold up as well as anything else on a typical playfield.

The projected eye mod is $100 shipped. If anyone wants one please send me a PM. The next batch of 10 will be provided to those who have PMed me in the order in which I received the request. There are 4 slots left on the list.

-Jay

Palantir-Final.JPG Palantir-Final-1.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Here is the link to the video of the mod since the projected/3D effect isn't shown well in pictures:

#3 6 years ago

Cool mod, good luck with the sale. Too much for me right now.

#4 6 years ago

Looks awesome, I will definitely order one in the near future.

#5 6 years ago

Nice job! Looks really good.

#6 6 years ago

Looks fantastic. I have a line on an LOTR and will keep this in mind.

#7 6 years ago

PM sent

#8 6 years ago

I have Jay's Palantir mod that he did before he got the eye projecting in the globe, and I can tell you that it is definitely a high quality product.

#9 6 years ago

I got to see one of these in person yesterday and was really impressed with the build quality. Very tasteful mod that really adds to the overall appearance of LOTR. It's a shame the stock Palantir looks so terrible... definitely a must-have on my future LOTR purchase!

#10 6 years ago

Glad I was able to snag one of last ones and looking forward to the quick install.

#11 6 years ago

Hey, you finally made a thread about it!

Guys, Jay has put a lot of time into this mod and knows what he is doing. I know he held off on putting this out there because he wanted to thoroughly test it on his own machine first and make sure it was right. He's not doing this for the money. For $100 I don't think there's a better LOTR mod out there.

Jay is a top-notch guy and pinball enthusiast, and you can't go wrong with anything he's selling.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments!

The next batch of 10 is spoken for. I also have several people on a waiting list in case someone backs out.

At this point I'll have to take any reservations for a second batch. Considering how long it is taking to make them I have not yet decided if I will actually do a second batch, but if I do it will likely be in about 2-3 weeks.

#13 6 years ago

Would love to see a video of how it looks during gameplay.

#14 6 years ago

Is it possible to buy just the projector and use the nice crystal I already have in mine (not the plastic thing from Stern)?

#15 6 years ago

Hi Judremy. This is not a trivial request due to the way these are built. It isn't like you can just take some double sided sticky tape and pop the projector parts on the back of your ball and have it look like this (or survive on a playfield). You would need to send me your Palantir mount, ball base and ball, assuming they are the right type. It also won't save a whole lot of money because most of the cost is in the other components and all the time it takes to bond everything together properly and have it turn into something that looks nice when you are done with it. I'll send you a message though and we can talk about options.

I did note your request for the video. It doesn't really look much different during a game except that it stays lit when the Palantir is lit and then turns off when it isn't. I think a video during game play would just have a longer period with the eye on and then I would hit the Palantir and you would see it turn off. If you still think this would help though I'm happy to do it once I get the next batch done. Unfortunately, I sent all mine out and I'm playing with a bare post this week

#16 6 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures of Jay's Palantir mod *without* the eye projection. The LED that shines through the globe is not on in these pictures.

LOTR-PInball117.jpg LOTR-Pinball111.jpg LOTR-Pinball112.jpg

#17 6 years ago

Absolutely eye catching! I will even say it looks eye-mazing!

#18 6 years ago

Nice bokeh! Is that a prime?

#19 6 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize the eye only appeared when the Palantir was lit, and turned off when it was not lit. That makes this mod even better! Awesome!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Nice bokeh! Is that a prime?

Yep. It's a f2.8 105mm Micro Nikkor.

#21 6 years ago

Please add me to the list for one. Pm me if needed

#22 6 years ago

Is this reversible? (meaning no playfield or other game parts are altered/tampered with at all - aka hacked).

#23 6 years ago

There are absolutely no playfield or game modifications in the current version.

My initial prototypes had to be screwed to the original Palantir post mount. That meant the original plastic Palantir needed to be unscrewed, the mount needed to be bent slightly for a flat mount and then the replacement Palantir screwed on to the post. It could always be bent back after removal but I prefer mods that require zero changes to original game and can be very easily removed.

The new design is pre-fastened to its own separate mount so the old one comes out completely and then the new one goes in. The eye projector component is powered through a bulb extension that plugs into the original bulb socket for easily installation and removal as well.

Installation, as well as reverting back to the original Palantir, should take less than 5 minutes. I'm looking forward to feedback though to see if everyone else has the same experience.

-Jay

#24 6 years ago

What bulb did you use in the mod?

#25 6 years ago

Any update on a potential 2nd run??????

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from ebononcini:

Any update on a potential 2nd run??????

Yes. Considering the level of interest, the 2nd run is definitely happening assuming I can get all the parts. The second run list is full though and there are 5 people on the waiting list.

It looks like a third run, at least with the current design, may be a problem because the supply of the Palantir mounts available has completely dried up. I'm looking into alternative sources, including a custom manufacturing run, but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify buying the quantity that would be necessary to move forward with it.

-Jay

#27 6 years ago

I repro a lot of parts for Bally/WMS and Gottlieb. I may be able to help out with these mounts.. send me some pics

#28 6 years ago

Brock,

If you take a look at RobT's photos above, the mount Jay is using in the Projected Palantir's is the same stainless steel part as those, which is the same as the game ships with. This is my understanding, at least, and I've been known to be wrong on occasion!

I received one yesterday, and I'll be installing it this weekend. It looks great so far, and it's just sitting on the kitchen counter.

#29 6 years ago

Pm me when if you do a second run, I feel like this looks very clean and almost as if it should of been there since day one.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I repro a lot of parts for Bally/WMS and Gottlieb. I may be able to help out with these mounts.. send me some pics

PM sent, thanks.

Quoted from idtattoo:

Pm me when if you do a second run, I feel like this looks very clean and almost as if it should of been there since day one.

The second run is spoken for, as is a third run assuming I can get these parts figured out. We are now on a waiting list for the 3rd run... I really appreciate all the support but my inbox is getting flooded so please don't be offended if you don't hear back from me for a few days. I need to focus on actually making these things

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Brock,
If you take a look at RobT's photos above, the mount Jay is using in the Projected Palantir's is the same stainless steel part as those, which is the same as the game ships with. This is my understanding, at least, and I've been known to be wrong on occasion!
I received one yesterday, and I'll be installing it this weekend. It looks great so far, and it's just sitting on the kitchen counter.

Just for clarification (and this does not contradict what you say in any way), the mount shown in my pictures is the original part. I removed the original globe and screwed the new one on to the original mount.

#32 6 years ago

I've had mine in for a couple days now. It simple to install. You can't tell from the pics above, the dramatic effect it has on the entire playfield. It feels as tho it should of been designed this way back in 04. It's crazy expensive ( to me). But I think it's worth the money. My wife walked up and said, " Oh my God that's neat!" - Shes not usually impressed with anything I do with the pins. Well done.

#33 6 years ago

so it is animated like the crystal ball thing on jacks WOZ?

#34 6 years ago

No, it's not animated. It's a projected image of the eye of Sauron.

#35 6 years ago

Here's a few pictures of my installation. I'm not sure if they add much to the thread, but...

IMG_5383.JPG IMG_5384.JPG IMG_5385.JPG IMG_5386.JPG IMG_5387.JPG IMG_5395.JPG

#36 6 years ago

WOW! I can't wait for one. Just awesome.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

It looks like a third run, at least with the current design, may be a problem because the supply of the Palantir mounts available has completely dried up.

Jay, do you mean the metal bracket or the circular base the Palantir glass sits on?

#38 6 years ago

Ahh alright, yeah I'm more into resin casting than metal work. Still can't get over how cool this mod looks though... I so want one

#39 6 years ago

Totally cool design and easy mounting. That is one sexy eye in the sky.

#40 6 years ago

Awesome mod.

#41 6 years ago

+1

#42 6 years ago

Sent pm. Hoping not to late to get on wait list.

#43 6 years ago

I wonder if we can use one of those little keychain picture frames that can play little MPG files. Do a mpg clip that loops on one of them, and use that under the ball to project an animated video of the eye. Most of those run on the 5 volts anyway.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I wonder if we can use one of those little keychain picture frames that can play little MPG files. Do a mpg clip that loops on one of them, and use that under the ball to project an animated video of the eye. Most of those run on the 5 volts anyway.

I tried a bunch of different attempts at getting video source to work. It looks pretty bad due to the magnification and resulting pixelation. The only way I could get it to look decent was by moving the source of the video several 2-3 inches behind the ball. On LOTR, that is a big problem because there are some critical playfield components a couple inches behind the Palantir.

As for the current batch of these, I'm about 75% done with 8 Palantirs. I was hoping to get all 10 done this weekend but these little guys are each taking more time to make than I had anticipated. I also made a few improvements to the design which is further increasing the build time. I should have some pictures ready tomorrow to show the updates.

-Jay

#45 6 years ago

Below is the video of batch 1. It is during game play as requested. The biggest change for batch 1 is that I was able to make the image of the eye more intense in color. The earlier versions got a bit blown out and showed more orange and yellow colors when the Palantir was lit than the fiery red I wanted to see from Sauron's eye. This version also stays dark enough that you really don't see the eye inside the Palantir until it becomes lit.

Other adjustments that are not as visible include making it easier to adjust the direction the eye is projecting. Based on feedback I'm getting it is clear that different people stand in different positions when playing pinball and this Palantir looks best when you have it pointed towards the players eyes (obviously). It still looks good when it isn't dead on, but if you get too far off you will wind up looking at the edge of the eye. The design now allows for adjustments by grabbing the front of the bracket with a needle nose pliers and tilting it forward or back. Due the properties of light passing through spheres, I don't see a way around this on any design or any machine - so anyone interested in this mod please be aware that you may need to make some final adjustments based on your machine and stance.

Enough talk! Here is the video :

#47 6 years ago

Looks nice. Hope you're able to find the rest of the parts you need to make more.

#48 6 years ago

Great work!!!

1 week later
#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Looks nice. Hope you're able to find the rest of the parts you need to make more.

Me to such a great mod!

#50 6 years ago

Thanks!

I got a number of PMs about this as well so I just wanted to give everyone an update on the status.

I just finished #16. The remaining US supply of Palantir brackets will be exhausted in the mid 20s, however I have a new design I'm finalizing that will screw on to the original base and hopefully require limited adjustments during the installation.

I'm still taking reservations and am estimating a 4-6 week turnaround based on the current rate of production. This design involves many stages and I haven't come up with a way to do it more quickly without sacrificing quality, so I'm not going to mess with it.

I'll keep everyone posted on any changes.

-Jay

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 10.95
$ 11.95
$ 1,000.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.00
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, MD
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 636 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside