Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
lotr_board (resized).jpg
01863888-FDD1-44AA-801C-D480BAB17040 (resized).jpeg
LotR_Whitestar_board_dip_switches (resized).jpg

#1 75 days ago

LOTR set to 1$/play does not coin up correctly... 5 quarters gives 1 play, the next quarter brings it to 4 plays, and the next quarter brings it to 7 plays!!! The coin switches were a bit wonky at first but I don't think its closing the switch multiple times per drop as I can consistently repeat this. Also, no custom coinage...? What am I missing here. TIA

#2 75 days ago

If you set it to $.50/play, does that work correctly?

#3 75 days ago

If the amount of credits a gives you are at all consistent, I would start by doing a factory reset.

#4 75 days ago

I should have mentioned this... I did a factory reset and now the 1$/play is giving 3/.75c... wtf

#5 74 days ago

Ok back at the game and the left slot is 5 pulses/1 play, 10 pulses 3 plays. The RIGHT slot is 1 pulse/3 plays. This is set to 1$ a play. WHAT. THE. F.

#6 74 days ago

I should add that setting it to .25 a play does indeed work just fine. 1 pulse/1 game

#7 74 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

LOTR set to 1$/play does not coin up correctly... 5 quarters gives 1 play, the next quarter brings it to 4 plays, and the next quarter brings it to 7 plays!!! The coin switches were a bit wonky at first but I don't think its closing the switch multiple times per drop as I can consistently repeat this. Also, no custom coinage...? What am I missing here. TIA

Are your dip switches set to USA? Otherwise the price menus will not behave as expected.

Also, is a bill acceptor installed?

What version of the ROM are you using?

The switch block shown in the picture below should have ALL switches DOWN for USA. Then power on and adjust the CUSTOM pricing option in the USA section.

LotR_Whitestar_board_dip_switches (resized).jpg
#8 74 days ago

Lol! I literally came in here thinking this was a buyer/seller dispute!

50k by Christmas!

-cheers

#9 74 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Are your dip switches set to USA? Otherwise the price menus will not behave as expected.
Also, is a bill acceptor installed?
What version of the ROM are you using?
The switch block shown in the picture below should have ALL switches DOWN for USA. Then power on and adjust the CUSTOM pricing option in the USA section.[quoted image]

I swear I looked pretty good for a dip switch in the board but I’ve also got old tired eyes and I’ve been dialing games in for the state tournament all day... took the manual home and it says exactly what you just posted, HOWEVER, I had previously noted that the game rom did look like it had been replaced at some point. Are there versions that behave differently? I’m still suspecting that a dip switch may have been bumped out of place, as the custom option has not been available as I’m used to using. it should be noted that the game was owned by an operator prior to 2014, so The game rom shouldn’t be an issue... ugh I had to leave it at .50 a play and won’t be able to make it back tomorrow due to state tournament

#10 74 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

I swear I looked pretty good for a dip switch in the board but I’ve also got old tired eyes and I’ve been dialing games in for the state tournament all day... took the manual home and it says exactly what you just posted, HOWEVER, I had previously noted that the game rom did look like it had been replaced at some point. Are there versions that behave differently? I’m still suspecting that a dip switch may have been bumped out of place, as the custom option has not been available as I’m used to using. it should be noted that the game was owned by an operator prior to 2014, so The game rom shouldn’t be an issue... ugh I had to leave it at .50 a play and won’t be able to make it back tomorrow due to state tournament

It just helps to know what rom you're on.

I'd just make sure all dip switches are down, power on and then try setting the CUSTOM option in the USA pricing settings. Post how it goes once you get a chance to try it.

#11 73 days ago

Update: dip switches were all down in the off position. I get all the specified USA price options in the Manual except there is 1/1.00 on the game and I don’t see that listed in the documentation. No custom pricing, and the coin options for all other countries show up in the menu as well, although that seems normal...? Here is a picture of the game rom. Looks like 4210 7.1 73FF I’m totally at a loss I’ve always had custom pricing available as an option. I wish I could attach the videos I took, as I was also unable to perform a factory reset. Selecting that in the menu backs you out to the main reset menu but does not say “request installed,” bringing you to the attract screen as it should. This is all very strange. vireland any thoughts?

01863888-FDD1-44AA-801C-D480BAB17040 (resized).jpeg
#12 73 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

Update: dip switches were all down in the off position. I get all the specified USA price options in the Manual except there is 1/1.00 on the game and I don’t see that listed in the documentation. No custom pricing, and the coin options for all other countries show up in the menu as well, although that seems normal...? Here is a picture of the game rom. Looks like 4210 7.1 73FF I’m totally at a loss I’ve always had custom pricing available as an option. I wish I could attach the videos I took, as I was also unable to perform a factory reset. Selecting that in the menu backs you out to the main reset menu but does not say “request installed,” bringing you to the attract screen as it should. This is all very strange. vireland any thoughts?[quoted image]

I didn't know they did a 7.10 release of LotR. The readme only lists 7.00. The current version is 10.0 (10.02 for the LE if you want native shaker motor support), so this one is about 18 months behind the final release - lots of stuff changed.

No factory reset and the other weird behavior along with the sanded/scuffed area on the board to the right of the PAL chip makes me suspicious of battery leakage damage. Can you get a better picture of the area below the battery holder (that's in the shadows now) and a little wider shot of the battery area?

Also, can you take a picture of the coin and pulse settings in setup next time you're at the machine? Basically one picture, advance, next picture, etc. Should be like 7 or 8 pictures for the sequence.

#13 73 days ago

I have a couple videos I could send on Facebook messenger if you’re on there Benjamin Franklin granger. The batteries are good through 2024, not that that means anything, but the game plays just fine in all other respects. (It also came from
An operator in the area who totally restored it too to bottom, clear coat and all, although it’s been in my friend’s possession for 4 years or so...) Are the Roms available iPdb or somewhere my friend Has a burner if so

#14 73 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

I have a couple videos I could send on Facebook messenger if you’re on there Benjamin Franklin granger. The batteries are good through 2024, not that that means anything, but the game plays just fine in all other respects. (It also came from
An operator in the area who totally restored it too to bottom, clear coat and all, although it’s been in my friend’s possession for 4 years or so...) Are the Roms available iPdb or somewhere my friend Has a burner if so

You can get the 10.0 roms free on Sternpinball.com under SUPPORT->GAME CODE. If you want the 10.02 so you can have a native shaker motor, you need a PAL chip, too. Since that was supposed to be an LE exclusive, you can't just download 10.02. I think borygard here on pinside has the roms and PAL chip if you PM him.

What batteries are in there now really doesn't say anything. It's what was in there before that may have leaked at some point in the past and not been cleaned up properly, and the traces are finally starting to fail from the corrosion. It's very common. The factory reset not working is weird, and makes me think that.

I don't submit to the dark lords of Facebook, but why not just post the video to youtube and include a link?

#15 73 days ago

It sounds really strange that the factory reset does not happen. Are you sure the 'enter' (or whatever it is called) button functions properly?

#16 73 days ago

It is weird and I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m going to first remove the batteries tomorrow which should force a factory reset and check for leakage and probably reflow the solder on that dip switch if it doesn’t work. I’m more suspect of the dip switch than acid damage to the chip because everything else otherwise plays fine. The reset issue is a total mystery. Certainly not ruling anything out

#17 73 days ago

Pulled the chip to have a friend burn I guess 10.0? Code on it since I won’t be using a shaker motor. Are there other ROMS I will need to burn also? Where are the factory settings stored? I just assumed it would be on that chip but maybe not... I did not get a picture of the board again but I did thoroughly inspect it and there is definitely no alkaline damage on it. I believe what is in the pic is artifacts from light and pinside compression of the original pic (looked to be about 3mb originally and just under 1mb after uploading) I thought the dip would be the next thing to replace but as my friend pointed out, USA settings the switches are all open anyway... ugh vireland herbertbsharp

#18 73 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

Pulled the chip to have a friend burn I guess 10.0? Code on it since I won’t be using a shaker motor. Are there other ROMS I will need to burn also? Where are the factory settings stored? I just assumed it would be on that chip but maybe not... I did not get a picture of the board again but I did thoroughly inspect it and there is definitely no alkaline damage on it. I believe what is in the pic is artifacts from light and pinside compression of the original pic (looked to be about 3mb originally and just under 1mb after uploading) I thought the dip would be the next thing to replace but as my friend pointed out, USA settings the switches are all open anyway... ugh vireland herbertbsharp

But if you can't reset factory settings, you won't be able to do them with 10.0 either, unless the problem was that the EEPROM was flaky and reprogramming it fixed it.

These aren't compression artifacts...

lotr_board (resized).jpg
#19 72 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

What batteries are in there now really doesn't say anything. It's what was in there before that may have leaked at some point in the past and not been cleaned up properly, and the traces are finally starting to fail from the corrosion. It's very common. The factory reset not working is weird, and makes me think that.

I would highly recommend never using alkaline batteries...in anything.

This is a little concerning ... could be nothing, but looks like corrosion to me.

pasted_image (resized).png
#20 72 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would highly recommend never using alkaline batteries...in anything.
This is a little concerning ... could be nothing, but looks like corrosion to me.[quoted image]

Hmm. I didn’t see that but I’ll have to clean it up before putting the chip back in. Can’t hurt to update the game anyway even if it doesn’t fix my issue. About to call Chas at stern to see where the SPI adjustments and settings are stored... I also have a sopranos ROM I can throw in there to see if the problem persists but it sounds like it isn’t related to the game chip. Ugh

#21 72 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

Hmm. I didn’t see that but I’ll have to clean it up before putting the chip back in. Can’t hurt to update the game anyway even if it doesn’t fix my issue. About to call Chas at stern to see where the SPI adjustments and settings are stored... I also have a sopranos ROM I can throw in there to see if the problem persists but it sounds like it isn’t related to the game chip. Ugh

What that means is sometime in the past this board DEFINITELY had battery leakage and it wasn't cleaned up properly. It's likely still eating up the traces. It could be under the EEPROM socket where you can't see it.

2 weeks later
#22 56 days ago

UPDATE: 10.0 fixed it. Had to order the chips because the game ROM was corrupt and wouldn't burn past 41%... Game and display versions were not matched, which could be a possible cause according to stern, but I suspect the chip was corrupt--probably from that alkaline damage/corrosion. Cleaned up and working 100% Thanks for the help!

#23 56 days ago
Quoted from ---BFG---:

UPDATE: 10.0 fixed it. Had to order the chips because the game ROM was corrupt and wouldn't burn past 41%... Game and display versions were not matched, which could be a possible cause according to stern, but I suspect the chip was corrupt--probably from that alkaline damage/corrosion. Cleaned up and working 100% Thanks for the help!

Thanks for following up with the solution that worked for pinside posterity.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside