• Latest reply 10 years ago by bigdaddy07
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-997.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Found a LOTR within 2 hours of my home. The current highest bid according to the seller is $5200. The machine had flipper button wear and I'm waiting on pictures.

I feel like the price may be out of my range if there's wear. I was prepared for $4000-$4500, but the location is great. Outbid the current high and consider the extra money "shipping" since all the other machines I've been finding would have needed to be shipped?

Opinions appreciated. Or if I'm going to spend that much, just hold out for a Tron or Spiderman?

#2 10 years ago

IMHO I think that sounds high

#3 10 years ago

I paid that much for a HUO LOTR with about 900 plays. It is a mint machine though, so I went over my limit of $5K just a little. I had to, as the seller didn't really want to part with it, and I really wanted it.

Your price seems high for something with flipper button wear. Still if it doesn't bother you to pay a little more for convenience, it's your call.

#4 10 years ago

Figured the pictures would tell the tale. Billed as "100 percent working", so that's good I guess, but that always seems to be code for "it's a little rough".

#5 10 years ago

That and I'm heading into the price range where I could also get a NIB Pro shipped to my door. So there's that to consider.

#6 10 years ago

I always hoped LOTR would rise in price since I bought mine, very good shape routed one, for $4,300. but they just haven't. any wear etc, puts it in the $4200 to 4500 IMHO. not having to ship would put you possibly at the high end of that range.

#7 10 years ago

LOTR can have a pretty large price swing depending on condition. I see them occasionally popping up at 3500 and others are 6000. A tired one will be 35-4000. A nice copy will be between 4-4500. Super nice is 4500-5500. Amazing and mode can get to 6k. I haven't seen any 3k beaters for about 2 years, but I'm sure they still exist.

As for the game itself, one of the most fun games ever built. The only way to really appreciate it is in your home unrestricted by time or number of plays. I just sold mine, but its replacement will be in my house in about a year and a half. And the quest for Valinor will start again.

#8 10 years ago

That is too high unless it's mint huo

#9 10 years ago

Agree, That's high unless it is super nice. But that being said, nobody knows if LOTR's may be selling for 6k in 2 or 3 years time? It's your call. Any way you slice it, it's just an incredible game! I hope to have a Hobbit next to mine someday!

FYI, I paid $2600 for mine about 5-6 years ago, lightly routed with a near perfect cabinet.

#10 10 years ago

Sounds high to me

image-997.jpgimage-997.jpg
#11 10 years ago

I'd say most titles $3k+ are down 5%-10% in value right now. I wouldn't pay over $5k for a perfect stock LOTR. I wouldn't recommend paying over $4300-4500 for one with wear. If it had flipper button wear and you're waiting on pics there could be other stuff the buyer is leaving out. If this is blind bidding that isn't on ebay I wouldn't even deal with the seller - those tactics are shady. The $5200 bid could very likely be B.S.

#12 10 years ago

It was something posted to Mr. Pinball classifieds. There's a great looking Simpsons Pinball party in the same area for $4200, so that's why I figured up to $4500 would be fair for LOTR in the same area.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

It was something posted to Mr. Pinball classifieds. There's a great looking Simpsons Pinball party in the same area for $4200, so that's why I figured up to $4500 would be fair for LOTR in the same area.

for 4200 that TSPP should almost be nib.

Find me a pinsider that in the last 6 months that has paid more than 4000 for a routed solid player LOTR. I am wagering that one can't.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Find me a pinsider that in the last 6 months that has paid more than 4000 for a routed solid player LOTR. I am wagering that one can't.

please provide link to LOTR for sale under $4K (routed is fine)

I have a location in mind, where the theme would fit perfectly.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

please provide link to LOTR for sale under $4K (routed is fine)

Here's one that's close. $4k for a routed one with a NOS playfield installed and new plastics:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-lotr-new-playfield-4300

#16 10 years ago

Too high for what I have been seeing.

Also be sure you like it. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.

#17 10 years ago

Don't pay 5200 for a LOTR with any wear whatsoever. You can get a HUO in mint condition for around that price if you shop around, likely even less.

Here is one for $4400 in pretty good shape, although the thread was a shit show.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-stern-lord-of-the-rings

Here is another one mint, modded for $5500 now:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-one-owner-mint-huo-lotrmods-with-only-275-plays-salt-lake-city-ut-6500#post-1307303

I think he originally wanted around $6k for it two months ago. Which is way too much.

For comparison's sake, I bought a heavily modded (LEDs, Cliffys, Topper, et cet.) HUO in awesome condition for $5200 in a better market than is out there today.

Edit: Also, when it comes to LOTR, yes, it is a very popular machine. But it is also one of Stern's most produced games of all time, so there is no shortage of them out there.

#18 10 years ago

I sold a mint one with one issue ramp flamps less then perfect. The rest of the machine was mint and had Matt Mckee topper for 5500. 4500 max for this one any button wear and it probably saw heavy use.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

sold one 1 month ago for 3850

#20 10 years ago

If the only spot you have wear is the flipper buttons just spend the $125 for a pair of the new style siderails to cover it up. But don't pay more than $4500 for it. The local sale is a plus however since it gives you a chance to inspect the rest of the playfield and the area around the start button.
The main spots for wear other than the shooter lane are where the ball drops to the playfield from path of the dead on the left side, and around the hole the ball drops thru at the top of the playfield left side. Those are real good spots to get an idea of how many games have actually been played on the game. Same with the plastic for the path of the dead.
Its not unusual for the switch to burn out on the board that makes the magnet hold the ball too. There is a stronger switch available to correct that and its easy to replace.

#21 10 years ago

Sorry that is now MINE , My presious is home sweet home , sitting next to me SM

Quoted from herbertbsharp:Here's one that's close. $4k for a routed one with a NOS playfield installed and new plastics:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-lotr-new-playfield-4300

#22 10 years ago

And was basicly a Refurbished to new LOTR for 4k with the old PF included that was not bad to begin with cab and head is a 8.5 out of 10 . PF 10 out of 10 having been replaced and the Tech TOWMATER did a hell of a swap . looked even better under the playfield than that of a NIB stern

#23 10 years ago

There was a guy on here last month with a 'HUO' that he could not sell for 4400.

#24 10 years ago

Well, I never could get pictures, apparently he expected me to outbid $5200 on a description.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

Well, I never could get pictures, apparently he expected me to outbid $5200 on a description.

Yeah, nope. Sounds like someone you didn't want to deal with anyways, and probably a machine with more issues than he was admitting. That price is a joke anyways if it has wear.

#26 10 years ago

The price is too high for a routed example. Let is go, better deal will come up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 218.00
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-price-check-and-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.