g94_LOTR_007 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_004 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_006 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_005 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_003 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_002 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_001 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Here’s a project I did a few years ago, but I thought of sharing it here anyway because fixing a CMYK printed playfield with photographic artwork requires a slightly different approach than the traditional airbrush fixes on spot colours.

One of the great things about the pinball community is that people are always happy helping each other. A friend of mine, who is much better at electronics than me, helps me keeping my games alive. In return I have fixed his LOTR playfield, which had significant wear on the large insert between the flippers.

g94_LOTR_001 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_001 (resized).jpg

No way to fix the damaged part only, so the first step was to remove all the print on the insert.

g94_LOTR_002 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_002 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_003 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_003 (resized).jpg

Actually the biggest problem wasn’t the insert itself, but rather that there was some loose paint on the playfield itself. I had to address that area as well, because the clearcoat would not stick well on loose paint. The bad news was that, after all loose paint was removed and sanded, some text was gone as well.

I had no choice but to reproduce the missing parts in Photoshop. Time for some copy-paste and creative usage of the clone and healing tools…

g94_LOTR_004 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_004 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_005 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_005 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_006 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_006 (resized).jpg

I then printed the missing artwork on my Alps printer.
The good thing was that the Alps printer’s resolution is very similar to the resolution of the original screen print on the playfield (I estimate about 100 dpi), hence the ‘dots’ more or less matched. The bad thing was that, as expected, the colours of my printed decal were close, but not spot on. Once the decals were applied, the borders were still very visible. I would address that in a later phase.

g94_LOTR_007 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_007 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_008 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_008 (resized).jpg

I then had the playfield clearcoated in a local car repair shop. Unfortunately the guy slightly damaged the new decal. Shit happens. So I sanded the playfield, then removed the damaged decal and printed a few new colour variations (slightly different hue and/or saturation), hoping to obtain a better match with the original colours.

g94_LOTR_009 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_009 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_010 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_010 (resized).jpg

And yes! I had an almost perfect match with the original printing on the insert.

Next I addressed the decal borders on the playfield itself. With a paintbrush I consecutively applied very thin layers of almost transparent paint to mask these borders and match the colours of fix and original print. Obviously perfection would not be possible, but in the end I was very happy with the result, and I was pretty confident that one would not notice the fix without knowing what to look for.

g94_LOTR_011 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_011 (resized).jpg
g94_LOTR_012 (resized).jpgg94_LOTR_012 (resized).jpg

Next I sent the playfield back to the car repair shop for a new clearcoat session. I asked the guy to be a little more careful now. Actually I asked him several times

#2 6 years ago

Very cool and informative! Thanks for sharing your process.

#3 6 years ago

I had found this a while back when I was working on my LOTR and shared it on vid's thread. Beautiful work.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/61#post-3088152

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I had found this a while back when I was working on my LOTR and shared it on vid's thread. Beautiful work.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/61#post-3088152

Oh thanks, I didn't know. I'm rather new to this forum... lots to catch up

If anyone wants the photoshop file, then simply drop me a PM.
(There is a workaround in case you don't have a printer that can print white).

#5 6 years ago

How did your guy damaged the decal? Clear too hot and melted the decal or sanding too aggressive?

#6 6 years ago

I don't know what exactly happened, but there were a few stains on the decal, under the clearcoat.
Since then, I always spray a thin layer of clearcoat myself on these printed decals, to protect them from whatever products he uses. Never had any problem since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-playfield-restoration-g94 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.