New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 43631)

LOTR PALANTIR Mod! A Honest Review

By AkumaZeto

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by the_one
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3437.jpg
IMG_0571[1].JPG
IMG_0569[1].JPG

#1 7 years ago

I had received this "MOD" as people call it. It was for a customers machine. Let me start out by saying this probably wont be popular because its a honest review not a sandbagging nut swinging review.

First impressions out of the box. FUGLY. Its 4x the size of the original and well not really to scale. I guess if balrog wanted to use it he could but in all honesty its to big for his hands too. Coming in 3cm larger than a golf ball o_o.

Installation was a snap only needing to remove the 2 nuts that hold down the habitrail.

Ok lets get on to how it looks. TERRIBLE!!! dimly lit and poor reflections from the inner socket can be seen from all angles. Is it on? is it off. I cant tell at all. Oh wait ahhh it is on...

I coin up a game(let me state right now this unit has a shaker) Game is going like it always does LONG AND DRAWN OUT. I plow threw the MB modes and on threw destroy the ring. I plunk the final shot and knock the ball out of ring. Game goes nuts cats run for the hills etc. WTF my magic 8 ball just got BORKED. GOLLUMS winkle pelvic thrusted it off its stand WHAT THE DUECE!

The orb of poo fell off its mount. sigh the ass loads of glue that held this unit together has fallen and cracked apart. SIGH. Right out of earl shibe macco and stern pinballs no prep book. The globe was not scuffed before glue nor was the base.

In the end I super glued the POS back together and wrapped the game to go to its owner at MGC.

Final thoughts. Dont waste your money on this POS get some leds and action figures and mount them on your game.

The picture makes it look 100x brighter than it actually is. Yes it is lit in picture. Squint real hard and have someone smack you in head and you will see it.

IMG_0569[1].JPG IMG_0571[1].JPG

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Please do not put all caps in threader heads.

#2 7 years ago

Well, that settles that

Thanks for the honest review dude

#3 7 years ago

So you like it then?

#4 7 years ago

I'm talkin' bout BALLS DEEP....in love

#5 7 years ago

I have it and I agree that it is too dim. I don't have a problem with the size though. The stock one is way too small.

#6 7 years ago

Perhaps your review could of used a bit more tact, but I appreciate your honesty.

#7 7 years ago

Did you snap those pics with your calculator?

Great review though, I just have no idea as to what I'm looking at (so that probably helps support your opinions from the review).

#8 7 years ago

Warning: sarcasm alert

Wait a minute.

Honest reviews are not permitted here. You are just a mod hater.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks Akuma for your honest review. I don't think there have been many honest critical reviews regarding a lot of the mods I have seen recently here on pinside.

I have seen the Palantir mod and agree that it is dim and somewhat hard to see the image. On the other hand, I did not think that the mod Palantir was too big. I based that on the fact that it does not block your view of anything on the playfield. Scale is all over the place in LOTR anyway because the towers cannot possibly compare to the size of the figures and still have any detail. The original Palantir is too big for Saruman also.

I think the mod is better than the original, but I am also hoping that BlindVoyeur comes up with a much better version.

#10 7 years ago

That does look huge. The original may be too small, but that is definitely too large for me.

#11 7 years ago

I think the WOZ crystal ball is even bigger, but I have not seen it in person.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

GOLLUMS winkle pelvic thrusted it off its stand WHAT THE DUECE!

Sir, you do know how to turn a phrase. Keep up the good prose and straight shooting reviews.

#13 7 years ago

Good to hear Ben. I was torn between the ball or tower mod. I went with the tower mod. The parts are here and I am looking at how to mount it.

#14 7 years ago

It does seem like yours is to dark. Here is mine. ( Crappy Iphone pic sorry) The image is very position sensitive, in other words if your head isn't where its aimed there is nothing to see. It's expensive, but, I dig mine. If it falls off that would change my opinion. It is night and day over stock. Size wise I think it fits into the playfield fine. Who made yours?

IMG_3437.jpg

#15 7 years ago

There were several problems with the initial design which Herg also pointed out in his feedback and review (he was one of the initial testers). The first major issue was separation of the ball due to the type of two-part resin that was used in the bonding. The second was it being too dim as I tried to address the loss of color from the first prototype. The third was that for the stance of some players the eye was pointing too low. All of these issues were addressed after the first few that went out.

AkumaZeto, I believe you were sent a replacement, although I'm not positive because you appear to be using a different name to post this review than the name you used to purchase it. If you were not sent a replacement let me know and I can either send you the new design or refund your money. I'm offering a full "no questions asked" refund to anyone who isn't completely satisfied with this mod and it sounds like you are not.

I'm confident the separation issue has been fully resolved but if any of the other 20 that have gone out so far experience this in the current design I would very much like to find out about it. In my own stress tests I literally couldn't break it free (I don't recommend doing this test of course!)

The size of the ball was selected to make the Palantir more prominent than the original version - which I felt was too small. Trying to project any kind of image (or a video) through a ball of the original size would not be worthwhile in my opinion.

The brightness has been improved as much as possible while balancing the "blown out" colors of the eye. Feedback so far from others who received the current version is that this brightness balance was right for their tastes.

-Jay

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

money. I'm offering a full "no questions asked" refund to anyone who isn't completely satisfied with this mod

Glad to see that the seller stands behind his mod. Hope you guys are able to work something out.

#17 7 years ago

Please re read my post i didnt order this it was given to me to install for a customer. Contact Roger0043. MY review stands.

Quoted from jrobinso99:

AkumaZeto, I believe you were sent a replacement, although I'm not positive because you appear to be using a different name to post this review than the name you used to purchase it. If you were not sent a replacement let me know and I can either send you the new design or refund your money. I'm offering a full "no questions asked" refund to anyone who isn't completely satisfied with this mod and it sounds like you are not.

#18 7 years ago

How can your review stand if it's not the current version of the mod? It's irresponsible to not put a disclaimer at the top that you're reviewing an older version.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

How can your review stand if it's not the current version of the mod? It's irresponsible to not put a disclaimer at the top that you're reviewing an older version.

I don't think Akuma knows which version he is reviewing because he did not buy the mod.

#20 7 years ago

I dont know what i am reviewing it stands on the product that i installed. There could be 5 of them since i dont care. He doesnt even know what VERSION i have. i dont care either. this is what happens. He want to refund or replace to roger thats great. The product I installed was a POS. end of my story. Please drive threw.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't think Akuma knows which version he is reviewing because he did not buy the mod.

Nothing this bad should have ever left someones hand period. Something this shoddy should never have shipped.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I dont know what i am reviewing it stands on the product that i installed. There could be 5 of them since i dont care. He doesnt even know what VERSION i have. i dont care either. this is what happens. He want to refund or replace to roger thats great. The product I installed was a POS. end of my story. Please drive threw.

Well, you need to wait and see, I think. Unless you put something in the OP about it possibly being an older version, someone who searches for info on the mod may read your review and not realize that it could be based on a version that has been fixed and is not even available at this point. I'm not questioning whether or not you received a dud, because it sounds like you did, but if someone else was to order today, it sounds like they would get something that has been improved over what you have reviewed.

It's almost like reviewing a 2012 car in 2013 and not stating that your review pertains to the former.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Please re read my post i didnt order this it was given to me to install for a customer. Contact Roger0043. MY review stands.

Ah, that explains it then. Roger's was one of the first ones made.

As I said, I believe the current design addresses these issues. The size doesn't change of course but I realize not everyone likes every mod. I do think the size is shown in the original pictures and video fairly well so I trust the people who ordered it know what to expect. I'm sorry you don't like it.

I'll follow-up with Roger to see how he wants to proceed.

-Jay

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, you need to wait and see, I think.

I will not alter the post. It does not matter what version it is. Its shoddy craftsmanship and should have never been shipped. Its now up to the seller and roger to rectify his part on his machine I am not gonna change my post or comment again. I reviewed a product that I had in my hand and that was shipped as quality product. I reviewed it like i would any quality product that i would purchase or have shipped to me. If the seller rectify it GREAT he is a greta guy Lots of mods popping up these days and i have plenty here to review and give my opinion about. Shoddy airbrushed toppers are next.

#25 7 years ago

Well, all that does is makes me question your reviews going forward. I'll keep that in mind. This is not how product reviews work.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Ah, that explains it then. Roger's was one of the first ones made.
As I said, I believe the current design addresses these issues. The size doesn't change of course but I realize not everyone likes every mod. I do think the size is shown in the original pictures and video fairly well so I trust the people who ordered it know what to expect. I'm sorry you don't like it.
I'll follow-up with Roger to see how he wants to proceed.
-Jay

I really, really like your well thought-out responses and sentence structure. You could very easily become sarcastic and extremely defensive and you have not. If/when acquire an LOTR I would contact you.

#27 7 years ago

The maker of this mod sounded more reasonable and level-headed than the emotional reviewer.

Jay, how much is this mod? Depending on the price, I may be interested.

Thanks for the review!

#28 7 years ago

About a month ago, I bought a shire protector from Jay (a.k.a. jrobinso99). Terrific product. I have not yet purchased a palantir mod, but I am considering it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here is mine: Jay is a good vendor and an honest guy. Buy with confidence from Jay.

#29 7 years ago

I just installed this mod last night (from the newer batch), and personally I really like it. Of course I don't have a ton of play time on the machine since it was installed, but I have had no problems so far (I have the shaker motor installed as well). I am also a pretty happy go lucky, easy to please guy. I had a friend who was here last night and he saw it and thought it was awesome.

It could be a tad brighter, but I get needing a balance so the eye doesn't get washed out. Also, I was surprised by the size when I first opened the box, but now that it is installed on my machine I actually like the size and don't think it looks awkward at all.

While it is fair to give an honest review, I think the tone of this review is very unfair. I've been talking with Jay (the mod maker) for some time now, and he is a great guy.

Just my 2 cents.

#30 7 years ago

I am on the waiting list and Jay has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with. I can't wait to receive my mod....at least there are people trying their best to make mods for our machines....It's more than many are doing.
I feel bad for the OP's troubles and I appreciate the review, but opinions will always vary....just read reviews on the pinball machines themselves!!
I'm glad Jay monetarily stands behind his work and prides himself on satisfied customers! Trial and error always make a product better, and Jay seems ready to rectify any past issues.
Keep up the good work....and hurry up with my mod!

#31 7 years ago

AkumaZeto,

Please don't modify your review. It will allow readers to put your feelings into perspective. I'm glad you were able to play through a long drawn out game of LOTR to write it.

I will not be changing my sandbagging nut swinging review, either. If you're interested, you can read it in the thread with the other discussion about the mod. I will not repeat it in this rudely written, grandstanding, thread of poo.

#32 7 years ago

I installed the mod recently and my wife and I both really like it. In our palantir I think the brightness is just right. I don't want it overly bright and is much brighter than the one posted in the picture in the original post. The mod the original poster installed is obviously defective and it happens. I like to give the person I buy a mod/product from a chance to send a replacement to a defective item before blasting them in public.

#33 7 years ago

“Squint real hard and have someone smack you in head and you will see it.”

Made me chuckle. Nice that the community quickly stamps out reviews like this. Agreed; it shouldn’t have fallen apart, but a “no questions asked” return policy and Jay's willingness to ship out a brand new one should suffice.

Cars are designed by multi-billion dollar companies and they have duds all the time. Maybe you should call 1-800-Lemon-Law and plead your case.

#34 7 years ago

obvioulsy anyone is entiltled to state thier opinion...however in this case, the mod being reviewed is no longer the mod being sold. So, the title is misleading ...and perhaps now knowing its not whats currently being sold should be edited to "earlier version" of LOTR Planitir mod review

#35 7 years ago

Thanks for the support everyone. I must admit the prospect of devoting yet another one of my weekends to making the next batch of Palantirs is diminished a bit by the thought of people not liking them anyway... I started down this path because I love LOTR and I thought the original Palantir could be much better than it was.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

If the seller rectify it GREAT he is a greta guy Lots of mods popping up these days and i have plenty here to review and give my opinion about. Shoddy airbrushed toppers are next.

AkumaZeto, I don't know you yet but Roger tells me you are a good guy. I hope you were just having a bad day when you ran into this. I'm definitely working with him to resolve the issue and he should have a replacement in his hands by midweek.

Quoted from brucipher:

Also, I was surprised by the size when I first opened the box, but now that it is installed on my machine I actually like the size and don't think it looks awkward at all.

Thanks brucipher, I bought a lot of balls when I was first developing this mod and put them all on my own playfield to see how they looked. The ones that were close to the original size just didn't have the impact I wanted. I also tried some that were even bigger and they started to overshadow the other items on the playfield. When I got really big they eventually impeded the Balrog movement (for reference though, the eye looked awesome!) The final size I selected was what I felt was the right balance.

I'm finding that this mod is really interesting because it is all about finding that right balance. How bright should the eye be vs. the color of it? How high should the eye point to accommodate the average player's stance? How big should it be to look interesting but not overpowering on the playfield? Some mods are based on a toy that is what it is, you either use it or you don't. This one has many variables and it is only with the community's feedback that it has been tuned to improve.

This mod obviously won't be everything to everyone but I'm personally excited about the way it turned out. I really appreciate all the input so far on this and how understanding everyone has been with some of the bumps along the way.

-Jay

#36 7 years ago

I purchased this mod and think it is a great add-on. Mine was from the second batch, so the issues from the initial run were addressed. Ideally, the globe would be a "tad" smaller in proportion to Balrog, but the effect is awesome. Very professional response by the seller.

9 months later
#37 6 years ago

I don't personally have this mod, just got into pins, however, a friend has it on his machine and it is a fantastic addition, like you said, not everyone will like every mod.

I do agree that a disclaimer that the old version of the mod is being reviewed would be appropriate in this case.

7 months later
#38 6 years ago

I got this mod in Jan 14 (the new version) and it "was" looking incredible. But after few hours of operating (max 4 hours) it doesn't light up anymore ;(
Power is ok, I tested it with a normal bulb and everytime Palantir gets hitted the bulb is lighting, so I'm sure it must be a defect with the Mod (maybe the LED) itself

Did anyone detect the same issue after few hours of operating?

I informed Jay, maybe / hopefully it's an easy fix but as everything is compound filled I can not do any further checks.

#39 6 years ago

Intermittent is a connection issue. Mine and my friend's have worked flawlessly. Try talking to Jay, he's been very good to deal with.

#40 6 years ago

I am not a big 'mod' guy but when I saw it on a friends game I knew I had to have it. Mine has worked flawlessly since I bought it.
My 2 cents: why have this conversation include the original nasty post by the OP? why not an original post that talks about the latest MOD by jay? I think overall the people who have bought anything but maybe the original version are very satisfied and have had very few problems.

#41 6 years ago

Why bring up a thread from 1.5 years ago on a version no longer being made? I have an earlier version of this mod. Couldn't be happier. I have none of the issues the OP had. In fact, I think this is one of the best mods out there.

#42 6 years ago

Because I just was looking for some experience if someone would have the same problem to solve.
Look sending it oversea back and forth wouldn't make much sense so I was looking to find a solution to fix it by myself based on some experience from the community here.
But if you feel better I can open a separate thread, honestly I did oversee the new versions thread and will link in.

In fact, I think also this is one of the best mods out there.

Stay cool, I did contact Jay, bought direct from him.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Massillon, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside