• Latest reply 9 years ago by Engine09
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lotrm06.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Trying to solve an issue on a friend's LOTR.

The lamps in column 7 are ghosting when stepping through the individual lamp test. When testing any lamp, the corresponding lamp in column 7 will be slightly lit. Immediately suspected a diode.

Remove the Palantir Globe bulb (23 in matrix) and the issue disappears. I've replaced the diode, then the entire bayonet, no luck. Have also installed an alternate power board, issue remains so I'm dealing with a playfield issue. Removed all LEDS and installed regular bulbs in case an LED was shorted, no luck.

Wondering if the Palantir Globe bayonet is the incorrect part and therefore the diode is in the wrong configuration. Can anyone tell me, does your Palantir Globe bayonet have 2 or 3 leads?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Bump

#3 9 years ago

Bump again

#4 9 years ago

Could it be that the wires are connected to the opposite/reversed terminals? I am not sure if that makes any difference.

#5 9 years ago

On my LE, it looks like the yellow wire (violet/purple stripe) is connected to the upper terminal of the socket and the other wire is connected to the lower terminal.
I cannot see enough to know the color of the other wire without taking things apart. I believe that will be a red wire.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

On my LE, it looks like the yellow wire (violet/purple stripe) is connected to the upper terminal of the socket and the other wire is connected to the lower terminal.
I cannot see enough to know the color of the other wire without taking things apart. I believe that will be a red wire.

Is the bayonet 2 or 3 terminal? Does it have a diode attached? Thank you!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Bantam:

Is the bayonet 2 or 3 terminal? Does it have a diode attached? Thank you!

I have an LE so the diodes are on the circuit board which is different from the standard. It appears to be a two-terminal socket.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for checking DCFan. Was not aware that the LEs had differences in the sockets and diodes as well.

Was hoping to get a solid confirmation on whether that bayonet has 2 or 3 leads. All other controlled sockets in the game have 3 leads, the Palantir Globe is the only oddball so I started to suspect it was incorrect. Diode could also have been reversed by someone in the past.

#9 9 years ago

Up to the top again

#10 9 years ago

If someone could take a picture of the socket that is for the Palantir Globe that would confirm how many terminals are suppose to be on it. Hopefully this will solve my problem.Thank you

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Bantam:

If someone could take a picture of the socket that is for the Palantir Globe that would confirm how many terminals are suppose to be on it. Hopefully this will solve my problem.Thank you

I believe this site shows what you want to know:

http://www.flippers.be/lotrled.html

Translation: geel is yellow (wire), rood is red (wire)

lotrm06.jpglotrm06.jpg

#12 9 years ago

if your totally sanfu'ed Id try OCD LED. I had terrible ghosting on my post SM and it took care of it...

Good luck... I traded my SM for a LOTR LE

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for finding that DCFan!

If that drawing/diagram is the correct bayonet for the Palantir Globe then it confirms my suspicion. Once upon a time someone installed the wrong part, 2 lead bayonet instead of 3. Makes sense, all other controlled #44 lamps in the pin have 3 leads.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Engine09:

Thanks for finding that DCFan!
If that drawing/diagram is the correct bayonet for the Palantir Globe then it confirms my suspicion. Once upon a time someone installed the wrong part, 2 lead bayonet instead of 3. Makes sense, all other controlled #44 lamps in the pin have 3 leads.

Let us know how it works when you change out the socket. Make sure to put the diode in the correct direction when you do the change.

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

Installed the correct part, issue solved.

To sum up, some dipshit installed a bayonet with 2 leads when the correct bayonet has 3 leads. Wish I would have noticed it sooner but there were other lamp matrix issues that threw me off.

Thanks for the help DCFan!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-palantir-globe-socketbayonet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.