Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0473 (resized).JPG
aa_renly (resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

so you believe the guy responsible for the problem....my info is accurate to me. i know of a guy that has replaced all the boards 3x then said screw this and sold it(pinball gallery). other guys that have received the updated buffered led boards and half didnt even work brand new from jjp. its a issue and JJP knows it or they wouldnt have redesigned the entire system or did they just do that for the hell of it?

You can't fault them for constantly making improvements to design. That's what manufacturers do. They innovate and design. It's happened since the beginning of industrialization. You design, sell, innovate, design, sell, innovate, design, sell....

And yes, I'd put way more stock in the information from the engineer that designed the game as opposed to people drawing conclusions on an internet forum. Forum has its time and place... and you can certainly discuss it (that's what a forum is for). But, that doesn't mean folks should make conclusions based off the forum.

You can do as will... no skin off my back. But, as I said: OP, don't let this scare you off.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

And yes, I'd put way more stock in the information from the engineer that designed the game as opposed to people drawing conclusions on an internet forum. Forum has its time and place... and you can certainly discuss it (that's what a forum is for). But, that doesn't mean folks should make conclusions based off the forum.
You can do as will... no skin off my back. But, as I said: OP, don't let this scare you off.

LOL at all your hyprocrisy. Good to see ( ) you give JJP a pass for its big and well known WOZ light board issues which costs any owner significant money to fix, but a new Stern is not worth buying because of some recent posts on cracked nib cabinets. I assume you traded lengthy emails with Stern on the cabinet issue before flaming away on pinside .

Quoted from 27dnast:

I honestly can't believe anyone would look at these pictures and willingly hand money over to Stern...
I hope they correct these issues.

When I get around to buying a WOZ, it'll be V2.0 light boards for me; it's costly and not worth my aggravation to deal with those issues on earlier versions. When I get around to buying a NIB Stern and if it has an issue, Stern fixes it, and for free.

#53 6 years ago

I've played both and would go with WOZ. Not that LOTR is a bad game, it's well done actually. But I think JJP just does a better job overall with everything and puts way more into their games in every aspect. Tough decision to make either way. Mine isn't based on theme at all. It's based on which layout, art, and audio/visual package I like better, plus all the extra touches JJP adds to their games. To me, Stern is missing that "extra special" flair to it, it's just cut, paste, rinse, repeat with new themes over and over and all about $$$.

#54 6 years ago

WOZ no question.

#55 6 years ago

Both great games but I'd give the win to WOZ

IMG_0473 (resized).JPGIMG_0473 (resized).JPG

#56 6 years ago

LoTR by a mile

#57 6 years ago

Owned both...WOZ stays, LOTR long gone...zero regrets

#58 6 years ago

Have owned both. Not a fan of either at this point, but LOTR is much better. At least LOTR can get my adrenaline going and it has a great theme. WOZ does neither.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL at all your hyprocrisy. Good to see ( ) you give JJP a pass for its big and well known WOZ light board issues which costs any owner significant money to fix, but a new Stern is not worth buying because of some recent posts on cracked nib cabinets. I assume you traded lengthy emails with Stern on the cabinet issue before flaming away on pinside .

When I get around to buying a WOZ, it'll be V2.0 light boards for me; it's costly and not worth my aggravation to deal with those issues on earlier versions. When I get around to buying a NIB Stern and if it has an issue, Stern fixes it, and for free.

There's no hypocrisy. Stern shipping games with cabinets falling apart (among its general cheapening in all aspects) has nothing to do with the fact that the chip JJP was using in light boards was discontinued. Frankly, JJP and Stern both have known problems... both have had issues they've dealt with.

Choose your poison.

If you believe internet land, all pre 2016 WOZ buyers are screwed. If you believe the designer, they have more than enough chips and parts to make necessary repairs to boards going far into the future.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There's no hypocrisy. Stern shipping games with cabinets falling apart (among its general cheapening in all aspects) has nothing to do with the fact that the chip JJP was using in light boards was discontinued. Frankly, JJP and Stern both have known problems... both have had issues they've dealt with.
Choose your poison.
If you believe internet land, all pre 2016 WOZ buyers are screwed. If you believe the designer, they have more than enough chips and parts to make necessary repairs to boards going far into the future.

I always find it interesting when people are so biased and/or obstinate they'd rather double down on futility than admit an error. Oh, the horror of an error .

LOL. Two events do not have to be linked to show hypocrisy. That's completely nonsensical.

That's some impressive mental gymnastics too, and very weak. Reiterating again, you have no problem backing JJP and discounting the known lightboard issue because of a phone call, whereas you threw Stern under the bus (and ridiculed buyers as well) with extreme negative comments for some pictures of cracked cabinets, no need for a phone call even, lol. That's hypocrisy on two levels, and it doesn't even end there either. You also specifically posted that you disregard forum posts for the JJP lightboard issues, and do so "as opposed to people drawing conclusions on an internet forum", and you do the opposite with Stern by only using forum posts to attack them for the cabinet issues and literally being one of those "people drawing conclusions on an internet forum". And it's not only about the cabinets, but you also now add another extreme position saying Stern is "cheapening in all aspects". Can't make this stuff up.

"If you believe internet land..." but you DO believe in internet land (when it comes to Stern)... you literally posted that you can't believe people are buying NIB Stern's. You also selectively ignored the low number of reports, the many Stern NIB buyers who posted about not having an issue, the other Stern buyers who reported having previous or current issues fixed by Stern, and the long history of Stern fixing pinball issues for their customers. You are a poster child for confirmation bias.

Either you are willingly/purposely oblivious to your hypocrisy and serious bias or you are very ignorant. Sad.

#61 6 years ago

Back to lotr or woz
I had a lotr 7yrs ago - liked it allot, but also had bw super pins at the time & remember liking them more. I remember not liking the upper left pf & it was a pain to strip down & shop - sold it & dont really miss it. I bought my first wozle early on & LOVEd it.... it was hypnotic. I had a few light board issues, no big deal & jjp was fantastic, got a crazy offer for woz & sold it. Since then we've had 7 or 8 different pins, but they all end up getting compared to woz. I recently decided the hell with it and bought a new ruby red 75th and could not be happier. New players are kinda overwhelmed and clueless at first, but by the end of the night they get it & love it My advice is to play woz with someone who can explain it as you go & it clicks quick. Get to the witch & your hooked - beat her & its such a accomplishment..... no pin compares imho.
SOTR is very possible - my 14yr old put up 2.6 million, beat the witch twice out of four tries & had 6 of 8 jewels. I think I'll be sad when one of us gets there, but also I can't wait!
Of course I vote WOZ!

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I've played both and would go with WOZ. Not that LOTR is a bad game, it's well done actually. But I think JJP just does a better job overall with everything and puts way more into their games in every aspect. Tough decision to make either way. Mine isn't based on theme at all. It's based on which layout, art, and audio/visual package I like better, plus all the extra touches JJP adds to their games. To me, Stern is missing that "extra special" flair to it, it's just cut, paste, rinse, repeat with new themes over and over and all about $$$.

Well said - couldn't agree more

#63 6 years ago

That's exactly how I feel. I literally compare every new game to my woz/Hobbit. It almost seems unfair to do, but jjp literally set a new standard. That doesn't mean new Stern's aren't fun, but that first impression is huge in deciding my level of interest. Aerosmith has been able to do that. Stern has definitely upped the game, but jjp still is the high standard. Woz all the way.

#64 6 years ago

LOTR purchased. That left 180 switchback ramp shot for the win! The debate is over for me. Thanks for all the informative comments. FYI, huge shout out to MiamiRedskin! Great guy and an ultimate pleasure to do business with. Now, to set this baby up and begin my quest for Valinor.

#65 6 years ago

Congrats on the LOTR! Enjoy.

#66 6 years ago

You've chosen... wisely.

#67 6 years ago

A wise choice. I just got mine last weekend. I've never had so much fun with a new game, enjoy!

#68 6 years ago

Congrats on the pickup and enjoy the rush of the honeymoon period. See you back here in 2018 when you're looking to sell it to finance a WOZ.

*thread bookmarked for future reference*

#69 6 years ago

I really like LOTR but WOZ is a bit better. If I was offered a free one but had to choose just one it would be easy to choose - WOZ

#70 6 years ago

Congrats. Great game. Enjoy it, then get a woz later on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-or-woz/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.